Okay....what am I missing here? Help!

capn-gary

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
Hi, everyone!
I'm doing a new build and have run into a brick wall almost before I started.

Here's the part list:
CPU: AMD Fx8350
Motherboard: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7
Memory: 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1866
Video board: Gigabyte GV-R7850C-2GD
Cooler: Antec 620 H20
Power supply: 730W Raidmax
Case: Corsair R-400...
HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda
SDD: Samsung 840, 250GB

I put everything together, double checked everything, and turned the power on. I'm not even starting POST. The switches on the motherboard are lighting up and are all apparently functional. The two 7-segment LED readouts come on, read 00 (zero-zero) and flicker a bit, but that's all. The fans all come on, and I can feel the pump on the cooler running (can't hear it. Too quiet, I think.)

Nothing on the monitor which is a brand new ASUS. (The monitor works--I connected it to my laptop, and it works fine.)

No splash screen. No squeak from the motherboard speaker. Nothing.

Followed the trouble tree in the troubleshooting part of the manual, and hit a brick wall because it's not putting out any video.

Disconnected all of the peripheral stuff, tried firing it up. Same thing. Doesn't seem to be starting POST.

Am I missing something? I've jetted off a couple of questions to Gigabyte, but it seems they're taking a d*****d five day weekend (must be nice--especially considering that Taiwan isn't even a Christian country!) They're also having a four day New Years Weekend. Jeez...

Anyway, does anyone have any ideas? Would it be worth the headache of disconnecting the cooler and resetting the CPU in the ZIF socket? (The CPU dropped in easily and locked properly, as near as I could tell.)

My first thoughts are that I have a dead CPU... but I have no idea how to separate a MB from a CPU problem since the thing isn't even starting POST.

Help! :cry:

socialfox

Distinguished

capn-gary

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
Thanks. I did most of what was in that troubleshooting list already. I'm going to check the PS with a volt meter right now, and see what it's putting out, but I don't really expect a problem there.

The fact that I'm getting absolutely nothing--no long, short or other beeps and the motherboard readout staying at 00 leads me to believe that there is something major wrong with either the CPU itself, or with the MB. I've been resisting pulling the whole thing completely apart but I may have to resort to that, I guess.

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

G