Sign in with
Your question

First newbuild in 4 years. Gaming and apps

Last response: in Systems
August 7, 2012 12:33:17 PM

Hi,

I am in the process of building a new system and I wanted to know if there are any problems with what I have planned. It's been a while since I have built from scratch and while I remember some of the specs and numbers, a lot has changed.

I want to have a system that doesn't break the budget, but is also upgradable for the future. I don't mind swapping out components if something new comes to the market, but I want is to not have to do a total rebuild for a long time (4 years - equalling my current PC).

Here is my spec that I have on paper:

Asus Sabertooth 990FX
Corsair Vengeance RAM 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
Corsair 500W CXV2 PSU
Corsair Carbide 300R case

I have a quandry over a couple of things

1. Crossfire

I want to go for AMD graphics over Nvidia because the middle of the range is nice and afforable. But after reading the spec on the Mobo the second PCIe slot is only 4x so to crossfire properly I need to use the 1st and 3rd slot. Will a CrossFireX bridge strech this far? I don't plan to Crossfire straight away, buying only 1 graphics card to start with, but it's in my upgrade plan.

2. A CPU cooler.

I noticed that with some combinations of RAM the heat spreaders fouled against some CPU coolers and it meant that the RAM did not fit. I want to go for the vengeance as the Military Green colour option is very close to the colour of the coolers on the motherbord making a nice looking inside. Any suggestions on a good cooler

I'm also open to suggestions on some GFX cards. Budget of £80!

Thanks for the help :hello: 
August 7, 2012 12:37:56 PM

what is your budget? i tell you right now that intel beats amd for pretty much every price range.

yeah your right about the mid range cards. the one that is the best bang for the buck are the 7850 and the gtx670 (higher end)
August 7, 2012 12:43:45 PM

Around a £400 budget. The graphics card is over and above that, but will be bought later on after the system is running (I'll use my current Nvidia 8600 to start with for a couple of weeks while I save the money).

The reason I chose AMD was the range of chipsets for Intel was really confusing - that and the advantages and disadvantages of Sandy vs Ivybridge chips.

I'll update the original post with the prices of my components.
Related resources
August 7, 2012 12:45:48 PM

Take a look at the budget PC in my signature, it should be under $400 euros.
August 7, 2012 12:59:57 PM

ill try but you will need a bit more cash. i assume you have windows

the lowest id bearably go

http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/e2Tx

the 7850 is a very good card for the cash. if you cant afford it, get a 6870. the system still performs much better than the solution you provided
August 7, 2012 1:03:37 PM

Costings for the Machine in OP:

Motherboard £122.96
CPU £81.40
RAM £41.77
Case £59.17
PSU £40

Total: £345.30

I costed the Intel rig out of curiosity, updating it with my case, PSU and added some RAM:

i3 2120 £89.99
Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz Black £39.66
Same Case: £59.17
Same PSU: £40
Motherboard: £39.68

Ok, so while your Rig is 268.50, which saves almost £100, I'm wondering what that loses me in functionality...
August 7, 2012 1:09:40 PM

TheBigTroll said:
ill try but you will need a bit more cash. i assume you have windows

the lowest id bearably go

http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/e2Tx

the 7850 is a very good card for the cash. if you cant afford it, get a 6870. the system still performs much better than the solution you provided

I have several HDDs and optical drives, so those can go. That's why they were left out of my original costings ;) 

Is your choice of motherboard able to do 3 way Crossfire? I realise that means upgrading the PSU, but that's a down the line job. A key design principle here is futureproofing - I can upgrade easily to Bulldozer and then Piledriver, while the upgrade route on that board seems a bit harder.
August 7, 2012 2:25:12 PM

it cant crossfire. probably 2 way but thats the max a 7850 can even go

intel isnt compatable with amd so dont try

futureproofing is not possible. no matter how much video cards you use, they get outdated within 3 years
August 8, 2012 7:12:29 AM

TheBigTroll said:
it cant crossfire. probably 2 way but thats the max a 7850 can even go

intel isnt compatable with amd so dont try

futureproofing is not possible. no matter how much video cards you use, they get outdated within 3 years

Indeed, but I feel that the Asus motherboard is a better base to build on than the H61 intel chipset - a bit basic in comparison.

My requirements for a motherboard are:

3x PCIe 16 capable of Crossfire or SLi
Support for SATA 3
Support for USB 3
Support for 32GB of memory
August 8, 2012 12:46:25 PM

you never need 32gb of memory. the msi board can accept it though

sata 3 is a given for all boards

usb3 is also given on any 7 series boards

the msi board that i stated is a h77 and not the crippled h61. h77 is the same as z77 all except for the overclocking which wont happen either way

the asus board is solid but not applicable with intel. i will suggest this build then

http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/e7Ih
!