Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Final evaluation of components, with YOUR help!

Last response: in Systems
August 7, 2012 12:41:24 PM

Hello community, I am Platinum, a new member to this exciting forum. I am here to ask YOU guys (the experts/veterans) whether any of my parts are suitable for my needs (gaming, watching youtube, CPU overclock) or whether some needs an upgrade. I will not be using the template suggested by the sticky thread because I find it largely irrelevant to my needs. However I will be still using the basis of that to give information.

I am buying and building (for the first time) a new Computer because old my Q9400 is dying along with everything else. I understand most of what each hardware does and the different types of hardware. Through this, I have selected my components for my build. I will list my parts and just click the name to see the part from the website. If you suggest another option, please select it from that website because it is from Australia and my budget is $1500 AUD (right now on the cart is $1456 and I haven't got windows 7 yet...I'll get that from somewhere cheaper, so could you recommend me one?)

Intel i5 3570k
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo
ASRock Z77 Extreme 4
8GB Kingston HyperX <--- Did I select the wrong HyperX RAM? They all look similar... Replaced by G.SKILL Ripjawz X 8GB
Gigabyte Geforce GTX670 OC 2GB
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM SATA3
OCZ Agility 4 128GB SSD <--- VS OCZ Agility 3? Replaced by Sandisk Extreme 120 GB
Samsung Optical Drive <--- ???
CoolerMaster HAF912 Advanced
Corsair TX-750 V2 PSU <--- Is it powerful enough? Replaced by Corsair TX 650W V2

I have listed some questions above because I am not quite certain of choosing those parts and I don't want to regret wasting my money on something.

So please, help me by answering those questions and I thank you very much for spending your time on me :) 

Plat
August 7, 2012 12:51:21 PM

1: id get a noctua nh-d14 if you need that much of a overclock. at stock clocks, its more than enough for 99% of users. the highest id go on any ivy bridge chip is 4.2ghz which is the limit for most chips that you can go without raising the voltage

2: yeah you got the wrong ram. get gskill ripjaws x 1600mhz cl9 2z4gb instead. 1.65v memory is bad

3: id rather get a sandisk extreme since it is faster

4:the antec 302 has better build quality

5: the silverstone strider is a better value

gskill ripjaw x

http://www.scorptec.com.au/computer/39836-f3-12800cl9d-...

the gtx 670

http://www.mwave.com.au/sku-42051160-Gigabyte_GeForce_G...

the sandisk extreme 120gb

http://pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&...

antec 302

http://www.mwave.com.au/sku-16011613-Antec_Three_Hundre...

silverstone strider

http://pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&...
m
l
August 7, 2012 1:02:37 PM

Thank you very much for the reply.

I don't want to get the Noctua because I despise the brown colour. But I'll stick with the 4.2 GHz Overclock then, will the Hyper 212 Evo be sufficient for the 4.2?

Can you explain the advantages of the Antec 302 and the Silverstone Strider briefly please?

I will be replacing the RAM and the SSD with your suggestions because it seems nice.

I don't understand why you linked me with another GTX 670 :p 

Also, what is the difference between these two RAM?

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i... <--- This is the one you sent

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i... <--- This is the one I accidentally picked before because they look the same.

So sorry for so many questions O.O
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

August 7, 2012 2:27:56 PM

1: the hyper 212 will be enough
2:the antec 302 has great build quality and plenty of space in the back for cables. has usb3 as well
3: the silverstone is a bit more efficent
4:i linked you another 670 because the site that i linked sells it for cheaper]
5; the ram is pretty much the same other than the fact that ripjaws x is a bit newer and uses a different heatsink (which isnt all that useful anyways)
August 8, 2012 6:42:04 AM

Wow, thank you very much for the help, I will update my selection in this topic.

EDIT: Damn, looks like my Cart got reset :( 

EDIT 2: I still can't decide if I should choose the Antec 302 and the Silverstone. I might have a search :) 
m
l
August 8, 2012 8:50:02 AM

Since you're going for a 750W PSU, I assume you're looking into SLI-ing in the future?
m
l
August 8, 2012 8:52:57 AM

No...is the 750W too much?

I have a 650W now for my Q9400 and GTX560 Ti and it is pretty good, but the i5 and GTX670 are so top notch so I went for 750W.
m
l
August 8, 2012 10:40:30 AM

I have created a new post just about selecting which case and power supply here.

EDIT: And I just realised that I double posted :/ 
m
l
August 8, 2012 11:51:14 AM

Even 500W is enough for a GTX 670 + 3570K.

Which PSU do you have now, and how old is it (exactly which model)?

Maybe you can re-use it.
m
l
August 10, 2012 1:06:14 PM

Nah, Im going to give my current PC to my dad.
m
l
August 10, 2012 1:28:06 PM

if it is a OEM pakage, you get a drive and a warranty notice. thats all. if you are lucky, you might get a sata cable. you need some dvd playback software to use the drive

of course you can buy windows. you can get it from this guy if you trust him. pretty reliable

http://ca.ebid.net/for-sale/microsoft-windows-home-prem...

m
l
August 11, 2012 3:39:18 AM

Does my OEM drive even come in a package or foam? I don't want it to break during the delivery.

Also, if I buy the OEM version of Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, can I reinstall it on the same PC? Can I reinstall it with HW changes?
m
l
August 11, 2012 8:13:52 AM

Platinum_Gamer said:
Does my OEM drive even come in a package or foam? I don't want it to break during the delivery.

Also, if I buy the OEM version of Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, can I reinstall it on the same PC? Can I reinstall it with HW changes?

My OEM optical drive came well packaged in bubble wrap. No need to worry.

You can re-install Windows 7 on the PC as long as the PC still has the same motherboard. The OS is "connected to" the motherboard, so swapping out any other component than the motherboard, and then reinstalling, should be fine.

No need to get the retail version because you will probably want a newer OS when you eventually need a new motherboard.
m
l
August 11, 2012 8:41:56 AM

Hmm, thats strange. My motherboard broke a few months ago and I got this crappy replacement which I cant even OC on. (The main reason I want to get a new rig because it's not worth it to upgrade this piece of crap) and when I got this new motherboard (installed by a PC store) they didnt reinstall my windows or anything...

Previous MOBO was ASUS P5KPL AM/PS and it was replaced by the Gigabyte G41M Combo.

m
l
August 11, 2012 12:50:14 PM

my oem drive came in a plastic bag and that was all. maybe it was because it was a really short shipping distance?
m
l
August 11, 2012 12:52:29 PM

A plastic bag :o 

My drive has to be delivered across one state (from Vic to NSW in Australia)
m
l
August 11, 2012 1:02:20 PM

it isnt that far. in canada, if you have a custom built pc from ncix, they might have to ship it across the whole country which is technically a 4 day road trip
m
l
August 11, 2012 1:02:45 PM

and assuming the delivery guy speeds
m
l
August 11, 2012 1:03:34 PM

Damn :/ 

I hope nothing breaks during my delivery.
m
l
August 11, 2012 1:05:21 PM

Don't worry, that is VERY unlikely, and you'll have to face that small risk anyway.
m
l
August 11, 2012 1:08:23 PM

Yeah I hope so.

Also, do you know why I didn't need a reinstall of my Vista when I got a motherboard replacement a few months ago?
m
l
August 11, 2012 1:15:49 PM

Maybe it was non-OEM and they transferred the license from the broken motherboard to the new one?

I don't know too much about how this works.
m
l
August 11, 2012 1:20:51 PM

Hmmm I don't know. Dont worry about it. Bottom line is that my current motherboard suck and my OS suck and a new PC is coming :) 
m
l
August 11, 2012 1:21:07 PM

Best answer selected by Platinum_Gamer.
m
l
!