No sli option 2x GTX 580

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpt_awsome

Distinguished
May 5, 2012
Hello,
I've had my 2 GTX 580's for a while now and they have been working great until one day I noticed that Sli had turned itself off,
so I opened the Nvidia control panel to turn Sli on, and where the sli options should be it just says 'set physX configuration'
Both cards are being recognised, and I don't think I have ever had the 'set Sli and physX configuration' option on the NCP before.
so basically what I'm asking is, how to I get the 'set Sli and physX configuration' option to appear?

Solution
Proof that the motherboard is working properly.
I just went back and reread the whole thread.

There's your problem.

1 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot [black] (max. at x4 mode, compatible with PCIe x1 and x4 devices)

SLI cannot be enabled unless all graphics cards in the SLI array are operating at X8 or x16...

SLI can only be enabled within the NVIDIA Control Panel. Try a complete uninstall of the graphics card driver and a reinstall.

What your picture of GPU-Z is showing you is the power saving feature of the idle graphics card.

Click on the ? symbol beside the Bus Interface display field.

A popup window named Render Test will appear with the following explanation:
Modern graphics cards come with extensive power saving features.

One of these functions reduces the PCI-Express link speed & width to lower levels to conserve power when the card is idle.

This is why you might see undesired values in GPU-Z's Bus Interface readout.

If you click the button below, a small render test will be started which should put the card in its highest power state, so you can verify proper PCI-Express speeds.

Once the test is started, look at the Bus Interface readout in the GPU-Z window to change within a few seconds.

This is not a stress test.

the card that reading pvi 1.1 that the card that having an issue. both cards should be at 2.0 16x or 2.0 by 8x depending on your mb and the chipset. I would power down the system and reseat the cards and check that gpu-z has them reading the same bus speed.

cpt_awsome

Distinguished
May 5, 2012

no luck with render test

cpt_awsome

Distinguished
May 5, 2012

powered down, reseated, no luck.

cpt_awsome

Distinguished
May 5, 2012

Yes, they both report a Bus Interface of PCI-E 2.0 x16 @ x16 when they are in the primary PEG slot.

:pfff:

So how do you explain the ability of two cards of different speeds working together and setups that have a 1GB card running with a 2GB card?

cpt_awsome

Distinguished
May 5, 2012

Motherboard is an Asus P8Z77-M Pro, and CPU is i7 2700k @ 3.4 Ghz

When the graphics cards are in the blue and white PCIe x16 slots when SLI was working did GPU-Z report that they were both operating at PCI-E 2.0 x16 @ x8 2.0 and/or PCI-E 2.0 x8 @ x8 2.0?

In the UEFI BIOS Setup's Advanced tab page what are your NB PCIe Configuration settings set to for the PCIEX16_1 Link Speed and PCIEX16_2 Link Speed options? Try playing around with those settings by choosing [Gen2] instead of [Auto].

cpt_awsome

Distinguished
May 5, 2012

Thanks for the quick response, Firstly, I don't use the blue and white slots, I use the blue and black, (the first card is physically blocking the white slot) and I'm not sure what GPU-Z saw them as. I have fiddled with the BIOS a little bit, but I wasn't really sure what I was doing so I will try your suggestion straight away.

cpt_awsome

Distinguished
May 5, 2012

Link speeds were set to auto in BIOS, changed them to gen 2, but still no luck getting the Sli option

Was there a scheduled Microsoft OS security update that happened around the time the problem appeared? The last regularly scheduled update would have been June 12th.

Are you using the latest Intel Panther Point chipset drivers?

cpt_awsome

Distinguished
May 5, 2012

firstly ; defiantly happened before June 12th. Secondly ; I have no idea

Status
Not open for further replies.