Sign in with
Your question

Moderate Gaming PC ~$1000

Last response: in Systems
August 7, 2012 12:53:59 PM

Hey guys,

Looking at getting a new pc. Been running an old Asus g51 laptop for the last 3 years in college but now that I've settled down and have some cash looking to actually get a decent gaming rig for around $1000. Just looking to get some feedback on this build. Already have a monitor and a copy of OS. Thanks in advance.

Approximate Purchase Date: 1 and 1/2 - 2 weeks
Budget Range: ~$1000 sans monitor and OS (pre-shipping, etc.)
System Usage: Moderate gaming, looking to get 2-3 good years out of it before I have to upgrade.
Are you buying a monitor: No
Do you need to buy OS: No
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: ncix.ca (Canada)
Parts Preferences: None
Overclocking: At some point, yes
SLI or Crossfire: No
Your Monitor Resolution: 1920X1080

Total Cost: $1,023.91

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K

Cooling: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo

Mobo: Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Blue 8GB 2X4GB

GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850

PSU: Seasonic M12II 620W

HD: Crucial M4 SSD 128GB

Drive: Sony Optiarc 18X DVD-ROM

Case: Coolermaster Haf 912

Still debating whether to go with an SSD as a primary or not. I already have a 1TB external which I could also use but I don't wanna spend the money to go for a SSD primary and a secondary HDD. Worth it to go for the SSD?

And thanks again for the help.

More about : moderate gaming 1000

a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
August 7, 2012 1:36:03 PM

mdobbs said:
Hey guys,

Looking at getting a new pc. Been running an old Asus g51 laptop for the last 3 years in college but now that I've settled down and have some cash looking to actually get a decent gaming rig for around $1000. Just looking to get some feedback on this build. Already have a monitor and a copy of OS. Thanks in advance.

Approximate Purchase Date: 1 and 1/2 - 2 weeks
Budget Range: ~$1000 sans monitor and OS (pre-shipping, etc.)
System Usage: Moderate gaming, looking to get 2-3 good years out of it before I have to upgrade.
Are you buying a monitor: No
Do you need to buy OS: No
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: ncix.ca (Canada)
Parts Preferences: None
Overclocking: At some point, yes
SLI or Crossfire: No
Your Monitor Resolution: 1920X1080

Total Cost: $1,023.91

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K

Cooling: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo

Mobo: Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Blue 8GB 2X4GB

GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850

PSU: Seasonic M12II 620W

HD: Crucial M4 SSD 128GB

Drive: Sony Optiarc 18X DVD-ROM

Case: Coolermaster Haf 912

Still debating whether to go with an SSD as a primary or not. I already have a 1TB external which I could also use but I don't wanna spend the money to go for a SSD primary and a secondary HDD. Worth it to go for the SSD?

And thanks again for the help.

pretty okay in my book. as for the SSD, if you're the type of guy who can cope with putting your PC to Sleep/ hibernate instead most of the time, go for the HDD, and get an SSD much later.

but if this PC is strictly for gaming alone (and maybe a bit of web browsing), and you're going to install 1-2 games at a time, then the SSD will do. if your external HDD isn't soldered, i guess you could take it out and install it in the PC and use it purely for storage purposes.
m
l
Related resources
August 7, 2012 1:54:50 PM

Thanks for the tips guys.

Haven't spent nearly enough time browsing ncix for better deals, but the bundle looks good, and if I can get the 7870 for only $10 cheaper then that's a no-brainer.

Will have to think about the SSD. It's clearly a luxury. Might have an extra hdd lying around. Otherwise I'm thinking now that I'll probably just get an HDD instead and hold off on the SSD for the future.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
August 7, 2012 6:12:16 PM

It's a hassle reinstalling OS after getting an SSD. Since you might have an HDD lying around, get the SSD first.
m
l
!