Which one is faster

raylee011

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Okay, if someone ask you this question, how would you answer them.

"I have a computer with 512MB of PC133 in it. Then, if I put only 64MB or 128MB of RDRAM in it. Which setup will be better and faster?"

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Your motherboard either accepts PC133 or it accepts RDRAM. It does not accept both. Obviously the system with 512MB of memory will outperform the system with only 64MB of memory. That's simply way too little. Your hard drive will become the system bottleneck as you use virtual memory. (Hard drives are MUCH slower than any form of RAM.) Once you get beyond 128MB of memory, it depends on your OS and what applications you are running. If your OS and applications do not require more than 128MB, then the RDRAM system will vastly outperform the SDRAM system. It you are still paging to virtual memory on the hard drive, then the extra memory of the 512MB system will outperform.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

FatBurger

Illustrious
Answer: you can't, go learn about computers.

I know that's a bad answer, but that's the right one (in a way).
It depends heavily on what you use the computer for, of course. If you just run games, the RDRAM would be faster. If you run Photoshop, Bryce, 3D Studio Max, Maya, GoLive, Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access and Outlook all at once, then you'd probably need the extra RAM.

<font color=blue>Quarter pounder inside</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Change the Sig of the Week!!!</font color=red>

igottaknife

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
too much RAM can slow down performance. It is a balance, a Zen if you will, of memory and application.

To <b>HELL</b> with your damned cookie.... :mad: ptooo!! :mad:
Change the signature of the week

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Since when does too much RAM slow down performance? The only case of that that I heard of was with the old 430VX and 430TX motherboards. It won't slow you down but it won't speed you up much.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

igottaknife

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Not a hardware issue Grasshopper, but one of OS that has not been specified here, hence the "may".

To <b>HELL</b> with your damned cookie.... :mad: ptooo!! :mad:
Change the signature of the week

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
The i820 and i840 were RDRAM platforms, but you could use SDRAM via a riser card (ahh the MTH debacle again). What it did is basically made the chipset see the SDRAM as RDRAM.

Lyrics. Wasted time between solos.