Second psu just for fans

faridr

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012
Hey guys, currently I'm building my own case and thinking of using 2 psu (both 500w, thermaltake tr2 and spare cheap psu) for my system, each psu running individually

Thermaltake psu will be use for cpu cooler, mobo, gc and hardisks, while the cheap psu will be use for case fans (around 10) and led.

I'll be putting a switch between black and green wire on cheap psu to control the fan, but is it safe to run this setup since there's only going to be load on 4 pin molex rail. Are there any safety measure that I need to know?

Been googling for answer and still end up confused

faridr

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012
Have extra powersupply unit lying around so was thinking of doing this. New powersupply will be my last resort as the cost of buying new powersupply (or any pc parts) is quite expensive in my country

my last resort would be corsair GS800, should that be ok? cost around 180usd after conversion

use extreme psu calculator, with spec below, and the result for recommended wattage is 358w
spec:
amd 960t
gigabyte ga870-ud3
sapphire 6850
2 x 4gb ddr3
4 hdd
10x 120mm fan

should that be enough for thermaltake tr2 500w to handle? Dont really know the accuracy of extreme psu calculator

cheers!