Sign in with
Your question

I5 3570k - Highest Overclock on Stock Cooler?

Last response: in CPUs
December 22, 2012 4:29:13 PM

Well currently Im running: i5 3570k @ 4.6 GHz - 1.32v - LLC 2 w/Stock Cooler + Noctua pro-grade thermal paste

I'm getting a 65 degrees temp. at idle, with 8 case fans, but do you think it's safe to push it to 5 GHz, at idle?
December 22, 2012 4:37:25 PM

I wouldn't overclock at all on a stock cooler. 65 degrees at idle is way too high, it should be around 65 on full load (maybe a little higher, since it's ivy bridge) .
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 22, 2012 4:38:03 PM

dude your not supposed to use Stock coolers for overclocking your CPU. ARE YOU MAD!? take that back to stock now or DIE!.

I wouldn't overclock again until you have a better cooler
Related resources
a c 134 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 22, 2012 4:38:06 PM

the thermal limit of ur cpu is TCASE 67.4°C

so basically ur running close to the limit of what its supposed to operate it,

i wouldnt run it on a stock cooler personally, id upgrade to a hyper 212 evo,

for 30$ worth every penny and ensures better cooling than at stock.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 22, 2012 4:40:49 PM

iceclock said:
the thermal limit of ur cpu is TCASE 67.4°C

so basically ur running close to the limit of what its supposed to operate it,

i wouldnt run it on a stock cooler personally, id upgrade to a hyper 212 evo,

for 30$ worth every penny and ensures better cooling than at stock.

why recommend such a low end cooler when he hasnt said if he wants to get a cooler and a max price?

Rockdpm said:
dude your not supposed to use Stock coolers for overclocking your CPU. ARE YOU MAD!? take that back to stock now or DIE!.

I wouldn't overclock again until you have a better cooler

hes not doing any damage running at those temps. these cpus are good to at least 100*c before you do any damage. i wouldnt run it above 80*c for a long time though.

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 22, 2012 4:42:21 PM

No for goodness sake! 65c at idle is way too high. If you run Prime95 or IntelBurnTest you will overheat your CPU. The stock cooler isn't at all good for OCing. Those high temps aren't good for your CPU and you are risking damage. ***Get a proper cooler and overclock slowly in small steps.*** There are numerous guides that can help you, here's one: http://www.overclock.net/t/1247413/ivy-bridge-overclock...
a c 134 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 22, 2012 4:43:59 PM

cbrunn u make no sense, the thermal maximum temperature for that cpu is 67.4celcius,

hes idling at 65c, those specifications are from intels website itself,

and the hyper 212 evo is quite good, its not lowend.

before posting useful information, please do ur research.

considering intel knows whats the healthy temperature range, and they make the chip!.

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 22, 2012 4:50:46 PM

iceclock said:
cbrunn u make no sense, the thermal maximum temperature for that cpu is 67.4celcius,

Tcase and Tjunction are not the same. CPU temp measurement software uses the Tjunction measurement (the temp of each individual core). Tcase is a separate measurement that you can read about by googling. Maximum Tjunction actually varies on individual CPUs and is set by Intel during calibration. For Ivy Bridge max TJunction is usually 100-105c. When a core reaches Tjunction max it will invoke thermal throttling. When overclocking, Tjunction (or distance to Tjunction) is the temp you pay attention to. Keep your cores well-under Tjunction (under load) and you're ok. <90c under load is good, but I don't dial in an OC unless I'm 80c or under (under load). Edit - to clarify - if I am trying to get a maximum OC, I will turn off the torture test if the temp exceeds 90c and lower the OC. My maximum OCs are always below 90c but my 24/7 OC is always below 80c.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 22, 2012 4:52:23 PM

iceclock said:

hes idling at 65c, those specifications are from intels website itself,

and the hyper 212 evo is quite good, its not lowend.

before posting useful information, please do ur research.

considering intel knows whats the healthy temperature range, and they make the chip!.

are you kidding me right now? lol you think that 67.4 degrees is the absolute MAXIMUM temp a cpu can safely be at? thermal shut down is over 90*c and the cpu would start throttling itself if it gets to hot but oh you forgot, hes just seeing how high an overclock he can get at IDLE not actually benchmarking it.

the 212 evo is a low end cooler. its one of the better low end coolers but its definitely an entry level cooler. far from mid level to high end.

if 67.4 degrees celcius was the max temp a cpu in that family could reach then everyone on this site that overclocks would have a fried cpu.

a c 134 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 22, 2012 4:55:09 PM

im saying its the healthy range, u can bring it higher, but the more heat that ur cpu desipates the less long it will last, of course it can go higher than the recommanded

temperature but ur putting more wear and heat on it, so it will def kill the lifespan of ur cpu.

also i recommand the hyper 212 evo because its just as good as some highend coolers and doesnt cost as much,

if the op needs better heres 2 suggestions.

http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/product_page/cpu...

or the noctua dh-14

but those are alot more expensive tho.

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 22, 2012 4:59:07 PM

iceclock said:
im saying its the healthy range, u can bring it higher, but the more heat that ur cpu desipates the less long it will last, of course it can go higher than the recommanded

temperature but ur putting more wear and heat on it, so it will def kill the lifespan of ur cpu.

i think you are a little too cautious. laptop cpus are the exact same architecture that the desktop cpus are and they reguraly run in the upper 80s. at least all the i7s ive had that stretch the first 3 core i series cpus did. they would run at this temperature for years if you wanted to. i used to render a lot on my laptop and it ran at 85-95*c for over a year 75% of the time. never had a thermal shut down. yes going above certain temps are not recommended but you are taking the life from say 10 years to 9 years.

the general max safe general temp for that cpu is around 80*c. you can run higher but generally people do recommend consistently running higher.
a c 134 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 22, 2012 5:00:54 PM

well i prefer recommanding safe zones, instead of going in uncharted waters, yes it will run in higher temp zone, but i prefer to suggest a safe and comfortable zone, but hey thats just me.

December 22, 2012 5:05:24 PM

Just to throw in a comparison. My i5-3570 with a stock cooler is overclocked to 4.2 Ghz and idles at 30c. Idling at 65 sounds a bit rough, I certainly wouldn't want to try pushing it.

As to why I am overclocking on a stock cooler? I goofed and grabbed the NH-D14 for the 2011 chipset, I'll have the right one to put on after New Years. I figured I might as well test out the stock cooler to see what it could do comfortably while I have it on there.
a c 134 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 22, 2012 5:06:32 PM

in general i say no to overclocking on stock but the new sandys are more energy efficient and heat less than other generations of intel cpus,

id still say its a nono to overclock on stock, but do so at ur own risk!

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 22, 2012 5:08:35 PM

Iceclock - You aren't quite understanding the difference between measurements of Tjunction and Tcase. 67.4c is maximum Tcase. Tcase is the temperature of a diode located directly in the geometric center of the chip's package. Tjunction is the internal temperature of individual cores. Tjunction temperatures are typically 20c higher than Tcase temperatures. Software like CoreTemp and RealTemp measure Tjunction. Max Tjunction varies from individual CPU to CPU. It is NOT Tcase. The OP is almost certainly measuring Tjunction since Tcase is usually only measurable by the motherboard's BIOS. The 67.4c isn't significant since it isn't being measured. Tjunction is. Max Tjunction of Ivy is between 100-105c. Since we really don't need to test out the chip's ability to throttle, it's best to stay at least 15-25 degrees less than Tjunction so 80-90c max.

http://www.techreaction.net/2009/10/14/guide-to-underst...
a c 134 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 22, 2012 5:10:10 PM

possibly, but the point is here, theres recommanded temps and theres possible temps, i like staying in a recommanded temperature zone, of course u can go above it but thats still at ur own risk,

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 22, 2012 5:17:22 PM

iceclock said:
possibly, but the point is here, theres recommanded temps and theres possible temps, i like staying in a recommanded temperature zone, of course u can go above it but thats still at ur own risk,

Sure, and I agree that any increase in temperature is additional "wear" on the chip, so keeping those temps down is a good thing. But I would say that if you are trying to keep individual cores under 67.4c with an Ivy and a value cooler, you aren't going to get much of an OC.
a c 134 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 22, 2012 5:24:12 PM

well i can tell u my friend uses the non evo hyper 212 overclocked 2500k to 4.2 and stays at load under 68* celcius,

so it depends of the chip u receive, not all respond to voltage changes, and dissipate heat the same, not 2 chips will have the same temps or overclock the same.

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 22, 2012 7:07:46 PM

iceclock said:
in general i say no to overclocking on stock but the new sandys are more energy efficient and heat less than other generations of intel cpus,

id still say its a nono to overclock on stock, but do so at ur own risk!

this isnt a sandy bridge chip. its an ivy bridge chip

geekthegreek said:
You are getting so high temperatures look at this video man!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmw8v4sV7vI

that video is a little on the sketch side. his lowest temp was 15*c so his room temp must have been below 60*f AT LEAST.
a c 134 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 22, 2012 10:27:40 PM

ivy and sandy are very close in terms of build, only difference is trigate with ivy bridge.

and somewhat better energy usage,

but using trigate doesnt change temps that much tbh.

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 22, 2012 10:42:39 PM

cbrunnem said:

the 212 evo is a low end cooler. its one of the better low end coolers but its definitely an entry level cooler. far from mid level to high end.

low end in what price?

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-Hy...

gives the $100 cooler performance for $30, definately low end there.
a c 227 à CPUs
a c 105 K Overclocking
December 22, 2012 10:55:16 PM

919han153 said:
Well currently Im running: i5 3570k @ 4.6 GHz - 1.32v - LLC 2 w/Stock Cooler + Noctua pro-grade thermal paste

I'm getting a 65 degrees temp. at idle, with 8 case fans, but do you think it's safe to push it to 5 GHz, at idle?

Either a troll or a complete moron. By all means go for a 5Ghz overclock with stock cooling. As long as you don't mind replacing your processor every few days you will be fine. Hell what's $450-$700 a week just to save a few bucks on cooling.

If by chance you were serious have fun getting Intel to honor the warranty on that CPU.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 22, 2012 11:07:49 PM

noob2222 said:
low end in what price?

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-Hy...

gives the $100 cooler performance for $30, definately low end there.

how many benchamrk did it take to find that one. the one that is completely wrong and doesnt even have a constant ambient temperature. also any benchmark that shows the 212 evo better then the noctua nh-d14 is completely and utterly WRONG. that is not the case. the 212 is 10*c hotter in my experience.
December 22, 2012 11:50:31 PM

I have my 3570k OC to 4.2 Ghz and the idle run is 28 to 30 C and I have stock HS
4.6 is a little high with stock heatsinks IMO
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 22, 2012 11:52:00 PM

cbrunnem said:
how many benchamrk did it take to find that one. the one that is completely wrong and doesnt even have a constant ambient temperature. also any benchmark that shows the 212 evo better then the noctua nh-d14 is completely and utterly WRONG. that is not the case. the 212 is 10*c hotter in my experience.

they could have had a bad mount on the d14, seeing as the c14 was cooler, who knows what the discrepency was. Point is $100 doesn't 100% guarantee you a better experience.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/cm_hyper212_evo...

a whopping 6C for $70 ... is it worth it?

This isn't even the same as overclocking Ivy Bridge.

even with water loops, ivy can't reach much past 4.6 ghz, spending $70-$170+ more won't get you very far. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-a-pc-overcloc...

other than that the stock cooler sucks, always at the bottom of all cooler reviews.
a c 134 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 23, 2012 12:42:50 AM

the hyper 212 gives u 85% of a 100$ cooler or close to it, def worth the money, of course if u wanna go for crazy ocs go for the higher end one, but for most moderate overclocks the hyper 212 is great.

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 23, 2012 12:59:17 AM

iceclock said:
the hyper 212 gives u 85% of a 100$ cooler or close to it, def worth the money, of course if u wanna go for crazy ocs go for the higher end one, but for most moderate overclocks the hyper 212 is great.

here is what you are missing. you are correct the 212 gives you 85% of the performance at stock clocks. the higher your overclock the bigger the separation between the two. btw the noctua is consider the top of the line cooler and DONT cost 100 dollars. dont know where you got that.
a c 134 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 23, 2012 1:01:32 AM

with taxes its 100$, and yeah its one of the top of the line, except now u can get inclosed water cooling systems such as:

http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/part/corsair-cpu-cooler-cwch...

and the antec kuhler:

http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/part/antec-cpu-cooler-kuhler...

for 90$ witch perform close too or better than the noctua dh-14

also these are slimmer and less huge as the noctua dh-14 ive owned one before and let me tell u there massive.

December 23, 2012 1:07:58 AM

iceclock said:
also these are slimmer and less huge as the noctua dh-14 ive owned one before and let me tell u there massive.

The water cooling solutions tend to be a lot noisier when they are operating at full speed.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 23, 2012 1:08:13 AM

haha i have every single cooler that we have talked about. im giving real personal experience. the 212 is ten hotter the nh-d14 and the nh-d14 is 5-10 hotter then a real water cooling system.

im out. feel free to say that the 212+ is basically equal to the nh-d14. its not. if someone is looking a medium overclock for cheap the 212 is the right cooler. if someone is looking for a real overclock then it isnt.
a c 134 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 23, 2012 1:12:37 AM

u can overclock a sandybridge above 4.2 gigahertz on a hyper 212 evo no prob dude,

no need to say u need 100$ heatsink to achieve this, and in a real world situation no one needs more than 4.2 gigahertz tbh, and if they do theres server motherboards and octo-cores for the one who can afford such luxuries :) 

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 23, 2012 1:24:40 AM

iceclock said:
u can overclock a sandybridge above 4.2 gigahertz on a hyper 212 evo no prob dude,

no need to say u need 100$ heatsink to achieve this, and in a real world situation no one needs more than 4.2 gigahertz tbh, and if they do theres server motherboards and octo-cores for the one who can afford such luxuries :) 

you can get a 4.5 on a sandy bridge cpu on the 212 anything over that and you are getting too hot but with the nh-d14 i was able to get 4.8 with the same temps. you are at about 75*c though with an i7. on an ivy bridge you are looking more at the 4.3 before your temps are getting too hot.

that is with i7s though as that is my experience. we are basically saying the same thing but to a different degree.
a c 134 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 23, 2012 1:26:01 AM

i agree with u, just saying not everyone has 100$ to spare on a cooler :p 

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 23, 2012 2:36:42 AM

cbrunnem said:
you can get a 4.5 on a sandy bridge cpu on the 212 anything over that and you are getting too hot but with the nh-d14 i was able to get 4.8 with the same temps. you are at about 75*c though with an i7. on an ivy bridge you are looking more at the 4.3 before your temps are getting too hot.

that is with i7s though as that is my experience. we are basically saying the same thing but to a different degree.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 38566&SID=.

$90.99 normally used to be $95 not that long ago.

if you have SB, sure you can get a better oc with the noctua, and up to 5.2 ghz on water isn't unheard of

Ivy is different all together.

4.6 ghz with a $25 92mm cheapo heatsink. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-a-pc-overcloc...

people are lucky to get 4.7 to 4.8 ghz with a good water loop.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/129300-physics-ivy...

Heat transfer of copper is constant, no matter who makes the cpu heatsink.

The copper baseplate simply can't spread the heat fast enough to let the rest of the heatsink work the way it can for sandy bridge.

So what does a $80 (on sale) heatsink get you vs a $25 heatsink with ivy? is it worth 100 mhz?
a c 134 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 23, 2012 3:03:26 AM

nope ...

a b à CPUs
July 25, 2013 2:02:50 PM

Talk about a thread resurrection...
a c 227 à CPUs
a c 105 K Overclocking
July 25, 2013 2:42:42 PM

morgilroka said:
Talk about a thread resurrection...

Yep. But really 7 months is nothing. Wait until you get one 3 or 4 years old.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 28, 2013 10:47:39 AM

noob2222 said:
cbrunnem said:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 38566&SID=.

$90.99 normally used to be $95 not that long ago.

if you have SB, sure you can get a better oc with the noctua, and up to 5.2 ghz on water isn't unheard of

Ivy is different all together.

4.6 ghz with a $25 92mm cheapo heatsink. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-a-pc-overcloc...

people are lucky to get 4.7 to 4.8 ghz with a good water loop.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/129300-physics-ivy...

Heat transfer of copper is constant, no matter who makes the cpu heatsink.

The copper baseplate simply can't spread the heat fast enough to let the rest of the heatsink work the way it can for sandy bridge.

So what does a $80 (on sale) heatsink get you vs a $25 heatsink with ivy? is it worth 100 mhz?

heat transfer in copper isnt constant...... just saying.

also its not just 100mhz now its 100,200,500 mhz down the road with new cpus that come out. you typically dont have to replace a high end heat sink very often.
August 17, 2013 11:31:19 PM

30 degrees idle is kind of shitty...I use 3570k with stock and i get 25 degrees idle. Maybe try reapplying the thermal paste?
August 18, 2013 4:01:49 AM

my i5 2500k with INTEL STOCK COOLER
idles at 30 to 33 Celsius
and up till now i haven't seen temps on load more then 75 Celsius
August 18, 2013 8:53:41 AM

it lot's depend upon room in winter temp's are low :D 
September 12, 2013 2:38:30 AM

The Stock Bios that comes with a mother board via the Settings of the i5 3570K cpu are set to a list I will provide right below.

Recommended for the Average family/lazy/noobs, that never clean their pc, and or live in a hot/warm area/house.
The Bios is set to underclock at Idle so your temp drops.

Recommendations for the Average cold house users.
Disable the underclocking in Bios.

Recommendations for the Average pc user, who has a somewhat cold house and cleans their pc often.
Keep the CPU Turbo on.

If you want to Overclock, I recommend at the very least to get a stronger fan.
Up to 4.2 ghz

get a better fan and heatsink, and you can overclock to 4.5 ghz easy, if your an expert with Temps, and have good fans.. you should go to 4.8 ghz.

Max Case Temp 67.4°C. / Not Fahrenheit. 68c = 154 F
Keep the temps Under 55C for the best Electricity bill.
Keep the Temps under 60C if you Still want the best life expectancy out of your pc.
Keep the temps under 67.4C , Pc will Run somewhat Safely at this temp, but You will be shortening the life span on your CPU greatly.
If you reach 72C . This is a bad zone,and your CPU chip is at risk, and may explode, like a bomb...

This is basic common knowledge about cpu's.
You can look up cpu specs here.
http://ark.intel.com/products/65520

Not sure what these other People are talking about saying 100C
Fore sure the CPU would explode by 80C
Atleast to my knowledge anyways.
!