I5 3570k - Highest Overclock on Stock Cooler?

919han153

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
Well currently Im running: i5 3570k @ 4.6 GHz - 1.32v - LLC 2 w/Stock Cooler + Noctua pro-grade thermal paste

I'm getting a 65 degrees temp. at idle, with 8 case fans, but do you think it's safe to push it to 5 GHz, at idle?

gamingboy

Honorable
May 5, 2012
I wouldn't overclock at all on a stock cooler. 65 degrees at idle is way too high, it should be around 65 on full load (maybe a little higher, since it's ivy bridge) .

dude your not supposed to use Stock coolers for overclocking your CPU. ARE YOU MAD!? take that back to stock now or DIE!.

I wouldn't overclock again until you have a better cooler

cbrunnem

Distinguished

why recommend such a low end cooler when he hasnt said if he wants to get a cooler and a max price?

hes not doing any damage running at those temps. these cpus are good to at least 100*c before you do any damage. i wouldnt run it above 80*c for a long time though.

larkspur

Distinguished
cbrunn u make no sense, the thermal maximum temperature for that cpu is 67.4celcius,

hes idling at 65c, those specifications are from intels website itself,

and the hyper 212 evo is quite good, its not lowend.

before posting useful information, please do ur research.

considering intel knows whats the healthy temperature range, and they make the chip!.

larkspur

Distinguished

Tcase and Tjunction are not the same. CPU temp measurement software uses the Tjunction measurement (the temp of each individual core). Tcase is a separate measurement that you can read about by googling. Maximum Tjunction actually varies on individual CPUs and is set by Intel during calibration. For Ivy Bridge max TJunction is usually 100-105c. When a core reaches Tjunction max it will invoke thermal throttling. When overclocking, Tjunction (or distance to Tjunction) is the temp you pay attention to. Keep your cores well-under Tjunction (under load) and you're ok. <90c under load is good, but I don't dial in an OC unless I'm 80c or under (under load). Edit - to clarify - if I am trying to get a maximum OC, I will turn off the torture test if the temp exceeds 90c and lower the OC. My maximum OCs are always below 90c but my 24/7 OC is always below 80c.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

are you kidding me right now? lol you think that 67.4 degrees is the absolute MAXIMUM temp a cpu can safely be at? thermal shut down is over 90*c and the cpu would start throttling itself if it gets to hot but oh you forgot, hes just seeing how high an overclock he can get at IDLE not actually benchmarking it.

the 212 evo is a low end cooler. its one of the better low end coolers but its definitely an entry level cooler. far from mid level to high end.

if 67.4 degrees celcius was the max temp a cpu in that family could reach then everyone on this site that overclocks would have a fried cpu.

im saying its the healthy range, u can bring it higher, but the more heat that ur cpu desipates the less long it will last, of course it can go higher than the recommanded

temperature but ur putting more wear and heat on it, so it will def kill the lifespan of ur cpu.

also i recommand the hyper 212 evo because its just as good as some highend coolers and doesnt cost as much,

if the op needs better heres 2 suggestions.

http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/product_page/cpu/silver_arrow/product_cpu_silver_arrow.html

or the noctua dh-14

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608024

but those are alot more expensive tho.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

i think you are a little too cautious. laptop cpus are the exact same architecture that the desktop cpus are and they reguraly run in the upper 80s. at least all the i7s ive had that stretch the first 3 core i series cpus did. they would run at this temperature for years if you wanted to. i used to render a lot on my laptop and it ran at 85-95*c for over a year 75% of the time. never had a thermal shut down. yes going above certain temps are not recommended but you are taking the life from say 10 years to 9 years.

the general max safe general temp for that cpu is around 80*c. you can run higher but generally people do recommend consistently running higher.

lordravage

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
Just to throw in a comparison. My i5-3570 with a stock cooler is overclocked to 4.2 Ghz and idles at 30c. Idling at 65 sounds a bit rough, I certainly wouldn't want to try pushing it.

As to why I am overclocking on a stock cooler? I goofed and grabbed the NH-D14 for the 2011 chipset, I'll have the right one to put on after New Years. I figured I might as well test out the stock cooler to see what it could do comfortably while I have it on there.

in general i say no to overclocking on stock but the new sandys are more energy efficient and heat less than other generations of intel cpus,

id still say its a nono to overclock on stock, but do so at ur own risk!

larkspur

Distinguished
Iceclock - You aren't quite understanding the difference between measurements of Tjunction and Tcase. 67.4c is maximum Tcase. Tcase is the temperature of a diode located directly in the geometric center of the chip's package. Tjunction is the internal temperature of individual cores. Tjunction temperatures are typically 20c higher than Tcase temperatures. Software like CoreTemp and RealTemp measure Tjunction. Max Tjunction varies from individual CPU to CPU. It is NOT Tcase. The OP is almost certainly measuring Tjunction since Tcase is usually only measurable by the motherboard's BIOS. The 67.4c isn't significant since it isn't being measured. Tjunction is. Max Tjunction of Ivy is between 100-105c. Since we really don't need to test out the chip's ability to throttle, it's best to stay at least 15-25 degrees less than Tjunction so 80-90c max.

http://www.techreaction.net/2009/10/14/guide-to-understanding-intel-temperatures/

larkspur

Distinguished

Sure, and I agree that any increase in temperature is additional "wear" on the chip, so keeping those temps down is a good thing. But I would say that if you are trying to keep individual cores under 67.4c with an Ivy and a value cooler, you aren't going to get much of an OC.

well i can tell u my friend uses the non evo hyper 212 overclocked 2500k to 4.2 and stays at load under 68* celcius,

so it depends of the chip u receive, not all respond to voltage changes, and dissipate heat the same, not 2 chips will have the same temps or overclock the same.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

this isnt a sandy bridge chip. its an ivy bridge chip

that video is a little on the sketch side. his lowest temp was 15*c so his room temp must have been below 60*f AT LEAST.

D

Deleted member 217926

Either a troll or a complete moron. By all means go for a 5Ghz overclock with stock cooling. As long as you don't mind replacing your processor every few days you will be fine. Hell what's $450-$700 a week just to save a few bucks on cooling.

If by chance you were serious have fun getting Intel to honor the warranty on that CPU.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

how many benchamrk did it take to find that one. the one that is completely wrong and doesnt even have a constant ambient temperature. also any benchmark that shows the 212 evo better then the noctua nh-d14 is completely and utterly WRONG. that is not the case. the 212 is 10*c hotter in my experience.

K2alta

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
I have my 3570k OC to 4.2 Ghz and the idle run is 28 to 30 C and I have stock HS
4.6 is a little high with stock heatsinks IMO