Random crashes then artifacts after long periods of play

AlexGT

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012
Hello, recently I upgraded my computer with an ASUS M5a97 Motherboard from an M3a76-CM motherboard;

I have a Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 with no history of overclocking. Recently when I installed my motherboard and 700w PSU unit I started to get random crashes with spouts of artifacting during the freeze-up.

This occurs on GTA EFLC. I have not tested any other games. When GTA EFLC crashes, so does skype, and I get random artifacts on my desktop.

I managed to capture my steam window when it occured.

iPT3O.jpg

It's a very odd occurence.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
hmm. Perhaps overheating might be the cause, have you tried to diagnose temps of the cpu and gpu?

Have you cleaned and applied cpu thermal paste correctly?

Be sure the motherboard is properly secured on spaces and nothing is shorting out underneath. Also be sure when securing the motherboard, the screws aren’t too tight as it may cause bowing in the motherboard.

AlexGT

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012

My mistake; I do have Catalyst 12.6.

Well, then the drivers probably aren't the issue. Have you tried a roll-back? It would be the first time that I've heard of 12.6 causing problems, but it's possible.

Also, that PSU seems to be fairly inconsistently performing. it might be the problem.

AlexGT

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012

How so? And no, I have not tried a roll back

AlexGT

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012

I strongly doubt this'd be the issue; this PSU works efficiently just like it should in-game; until later something goes down.

AlexGT

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012

Understood; Do you have a steam? This can go quicker.

AlexGT

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012

I understand, will you still be on? This'll be rather hasty for the troubleshoot and I can come back to you with details in 10 minutes flat.

AlexGT

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012

I did a BiOS Update and uninstalled AMD Vision Engine Control Center but it still says it's in 12.6. I'm thinking about testing again with AMD Vision Control Center completely off.

I've got yet another screencap with this happening.

s72iZ.png

I really hope I won't have to RMA this card.

Boot into safe mode and completely uninstall all of AMD's drivers, profiles, and such for your graphics card. There are utilities such as (if I remember its name correctly) Driver Sweeper that can help you do this thoroughly. After that, restart and then boot into safe mode again, install the driver version that you want to try, and repeat testing. If this doesn't work, then there is probably a hardware problem that an RMA should solve... Granted, I can understand why you wouldn't want to deal with that potential frustration.

AlexGT

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012
I did as requested. I booted into Safe Mode, uninstalled all AMD - Display Drivers via Driver Sweeper, and downgraded to AMD Catalyst Version 12.3.

I will be back with the benchmark results. It should take a while to induce but I beg of your attention for a few moments more.

AlexGT

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012

Negative; test failure. Same thing occured.

- Random artifacting on freeze up, sound cut out, then immediate crash.

This isn't good. I just got my computer back from being R.I.P'd and now it turns out something is screwed up, but I have no idea what is.