scottyhawaii

Distinguished
May 5, 2003
Aloha dudes and duddettes,

okay your gonna love this!!! i just upgraded my girlfriend's comp at CompUSA the other day and before i gave it to them to do the upgrades her comp was working fine. When I got it back from CompUSA it didn't work at her house?!?!? The comp just turns on when I plug it in but there is nothing to show on the monitor?!?!

I took her comp and her monitor to my house plugged it in AND it works just fine!! What I noticed that when the comp was plugged in her house it would automatically start. BUT when I started it at my house I would have to click on the ON button that is front of the comp. ARGH!!

What gives? I tried buying a new power surge ($70.00 worth) and its still the same at her house.

I even made sure that everything in the CPU is snugged in.

Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance.

Mahalo,
Scotty

Thanks and mahalo,
Scotty

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
see if everything is connected and fastened properly. Could be something trivial like an AGP card that is not plugged in well, and just moving it (from her to your house), could move it enough to work now.

Years ago I had something similar, a 486 that would not work properly at my house (crashed while booting). took it to a friend to troubleshoot, worked like a charm. Got back home: crash. took me a while to notice the cpu fan wasnt working, and his workplace was a lot cooler than my room, making all the difference in the world. (so yes, those 486-133's did need fans :)

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

scottyhawaii

Distinguished
May 5, 2003
Okay P4Man, brothers and sisters!!

I fastened the AGP cards and everything in what ever slots is all snugged and it still doesn't work. What now?

Thanks and mahalo,
Scotty

endyen

Splendid
Buy her a new keyboard and monitor. No seriously, what parts are you using at your house and not at hers? Her keyboard might have a bad power on key. Also set the monitor at your house to default with 60 hz refresh an 800 X 600 resolution.

jrosenst

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2004
I got a bigger question for you Scotty. How is it you know about Tom's hardware AND have a girlfriend?

Seriously though, are you taking all the comps with you? Like the kb, mouse, monitor? Also, try it with just the monitor hooked up. You will get the dumbest error message in computer history "Error: no keyboard found, hit F1 to continue" but at least you will rule out any peripherals causing the issue.

Good luck!

scottyhawaii

Distinguished
May 5, 2003
Aloha endyen,

I took her CPU and monitor over to my house and it works perfectly. The only things that I didn't bring over is her keyboard and mouse. Quick question... why set my monitor at home to default at 60hz refresh and 800 x 600? What will that do? Sorry I just want to get the technicals so I can explain it to my girlfriend.

I'll let you know how it goes....

Thanks and mahalo,
Scotty

scottyhawaii

Distinguished
May 5, 2003
Aloha jrosenst,

I just brang the comp and the monitor to my house and it works perfect. I didn't bring the rest like the keyboard and mouse. Thats my next thing though. Thank you for your help I really appreciate it. I'm gonna do it tonite and will post my findings.

Thanks and mahalo,
Scotty

endyen

Splendid
That was ment to be on her computer, as I thought you may be using 2 diferent monitors. If you are using the same (her) monitor in bothe places, you dont have to sweat that part.
As an electrical technician, I will swear that there is no electrical problem that would cause a computer to act as you have said. That leaves only a difference in components such as keyboard, mouse ( most people dont haul monitors around) Try taking everthing from her house, even speakers,serial devices printer etc. Get it running right, then change out one thing at a time till you have the problem. The last thing you change will be the cause.

scottyhawaii

Distinguished
May 5, 2003
Aloha endyen,

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! ITs the freakin keyboard that was bad!!! ARGH!@*%$!@) How can something that simple be that much as a hassle? Thank you very much for all who helped. I really appreciate it. And it shows time and time again TMG is the BEST on line computer help in the world!!!

Thanks and mahalo,
Scotty

jrosenst

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2004
You’re welcome, and glad everything is workin for ya!

Just to answer your question about why he wanted you to set your monitor to 800x600@60hz. He was thinking it might be that Compusa set the resolution to high for your girlfriends Monitor. Being that it worked on your monitor (At least he thought you were using your monitor), you could see to set the resolution back to something her monitor could handle. Every monitor will handle 800x600@60hz.