$400 HTPC - Your input please

8bitg33k

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
Just wanted some feedback on a list I put together for a HTPC build for a friend. It's based on the Llano APU. Goal was to stay in the $400 price range. He will use this as his Media Center, ie movies, music, streaming, surfing, email etc. There will be no overclocking. Perhaps some moderate gaming.

A6 3500 Triple Core I could go with a unlocked Quad for just $10 more, but I felt more comfortable with the 65W rating of the triple core than the 100W for the quad in terms of heat inside a HTPC case.

ASRock A75M FM1 Micro ATX OR ASRock A75M-ITX FM1 I can't see any difference between the two boards, other than one is ITX and the other is MicroATX and a marginal price difference. Can you see any other differences or why I would go for one rather than the other?

G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage 2 x 4GB

hec Black Micro ATX HTPC Case w/ 300W Power Supply

LG Black SATA Internal Blu-ray Drive UH12LS29 I realize this is "only" 1st gen SATA, but it should still work ok in this setup?

WD Caviar Blue 500GB WD5000AAKX (possible variation: 60GB SSD as boot drive and use his existing external 1TB hdd for storage)

ZALMAN CNPS8900 Extreme really not sure about this one as it seems to be a tight fit with the RAM. Thoughts? Alternatives? Also, I'd probably stick with stock heat-sink for the triple core, so aftermarket cooler would only be a consideration if I was to go with the quad core, if needed even then.

Will be going with Windows 7 and hooking this up to a HDTV.

Thoughts?