Temperature Check for Radeon 6850

c-n-c

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
Hello, I'd like a check on temperature for this card (I'm using gigabyte easyboost):
GIGABYTE ATI Radeon HD6850 1GB DDR5 2DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort PCI-Express Video Card GV-R685OC-1GD

Factory clocked at Core 820MHz an Memory 1050MHz

Idle temp: 42'C with fan on 45%
When under load, it goes up to 51'C with fan on 52%

Is this temperature safe?
I've had a previous card (GTX460) before and it was idle at at ~35'C and was quiet. This one was louder (though it could be just my systems)
I'd like to compare with others (I bought this card as replacement after seeing comments saying how cool and quiet it is, so just want to be sure because it could be a defect). Thank you.

c-n-c

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
Thank you for your reply.
I just tested again for about 2 hours and it went up to 62'C.
(btw, I'm using "Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance" for the test)

What is the safe temp for this card?

c-n-c

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012

Actually, I just did. (went up to 79'C) Although this is not a temperature problem. I'm not quite sure what happened, but what I remember that I run a game on all high settings and then the temp jumped to 79'C within minutes! I remember at the time the fan had somehow turned off (0% I set fan on automatic). I quit the game quickly, and then clicked the 'default' button and the fan went back to normal. I just got the card. It's brand new and it's already getting a fan-stroke?? I re-launch the game again later with the same high settings, and it worked fine (Temp & Fan avg 56'C / 56%).

I'm worried it might be defective. (sorry for being paranoid)

I'd appreciate it if anyone has a clue what this is. :)

PanicMaster85

Distinguished
gpu temps can get very high because gpu's are made to be able to handle the load and be pushed to the brink... If you CPU ever gets above 70 you have a problem but if the GPU does then that means it's just working real hard only be worried at about 85-above. :)

PanicMaster85

Distinguished

My only guess on this would be that maby your catalyst control panel accidently turned the card onto manual fan and manual fan usually starts at 0 so maby that happened and you never knew so it just stayed at 0... nothing to panic about, it'll be ok... now if it happens again thats another matter.