Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New power supply - weird noises start as soon as I plug in AC power cord

Last response: in Components
December 22, 2012 5:42:29 PM

Hello,

I replaced my Dell power supply with an aftermarket power supply. After I installed it and plugged the AC cord in and before I pushed the power on switch, a horrendous noise came out of the PC. It sounded like the hard disk was spinning like crazy. I unplugged it and reinstalled my older power supply and my PC started up OK. Could the new power supply be no good or could this be a connection problem?
a c 1194 ) Power supply
December 22, 2012 6:16:04 PM

What is the brand and model number of the aftermarket power supply unit?

It is possible to receive a defective unit. The noise you're hearing is most likely from a defective power supply cooling fan.
m
l
December 22, 2012 7:04:42 PM

It is an Athena Micro PS3 Hercules and supposed to be a Dell replacement. I tried to check if it was just the fan that I heard making crazy noises so I took the new PSU and plugged it in by itself and the blue light came on but not the fan. Should the fan start in this case? I did the same thing with the old PSU and the fan didn't come on when bench testing but it did come on once I installed it in the case and reconnected all of the wires.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 1194 ) Power supply
December 22, 2012 9:29:59 PM

Have the new PSU replaced under warranty, or if you can, exchange it for a better brand.
December 29, 2012 11:26:23 PM

Best answer selected by matrophy.
m
l
!