Solved

New power supply - weird noises start as soon as I plug in AC power cord

Hello,

I replaced my Dell power supply with an aftermarket power supply. After I installed it and plugged the AC cord in and before I pushed the power on switch, a horrendous noise came out of the PC. It sounded like the hard disk was spinning like crazy. I unplugged it and reinstalled my older power supply and my PC started up OK. Could the new power supply be no good or could this be a connection problem?
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about power supply weird noises start plug power cord
  1. What is the brand and model number of the aftermarket power supply unit?

It is possible to receive a defective unit. The noise you're hearing is most likely from a defective power supply cooling fan.
  2. It is an Athena Micro PS3 Hercules and supposed to be a Dell replacement. I tried to check if it was just the fan that I heard making crazy noises so I took the new PSU and plugged it in by itself and the blue light came on but not the fan. Should the fan start in this case? I did the same thing with the old PSU and the fan didn't come on when bench testing but it did come on once I installed it in the case and reconnected all of the wires.
  3. Best answer
    Have the new PSU replaced under warranty, or if you can, exchange it for a better brand.
  4. Best answer selected by matrophy.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Power Components