Laptop CPU into a desktop motherboard advice needed

Dec 22, 2012
Hi i have 2 extra core2 laptop CPUs that seem to run quite well, however i do not have the laptops to put them into. I would like to put them into a mini itx motherboard or micro ATX.
I would like to know if it is possible if it is possible to use a laptop CPU in a desktop CPU if they would fit. I've read that it is possible to use a laptop CPU into a desktop motherboard but i didnt read much of it. So far everywhere i've read said it isnt possible but none of them were backed with experience or any explanations.

If it is possible i'd like recommendations for:
mini ITX motherboard that uses laptop ram and has PCIex16 (audio is not needed)
micro ATX motherboard that has PCIe x16 (2 ports if possible).

It would be even better if the boards could be overclocked too.

I would hate to see old useful hardware sit around doing nothing. Comparing between the laptop and mobile core2 CPUs they are exactly the same even in cache amount except for voltage. When compiling code, having another 4 cores even when in a networked cluster would help. The place where i used to work could use all the desktops connected to the same LAN for performing certain tasks such as code compilation which made compiling large code down from 20 minutes to 5 minutes using 4 machines.

Thanks

Dec 22, 2012

well i meant the bus. For core2 CPUs the only way to overclock them is through the bus if the CPU is locked.

payturr

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012
Um, last I checked they make no desktop motherboards for laptop CPUs. This is because laptop CPUs usually use pins, meanwhile a desktop board has pins because LGA775 CPUs (like the Core 2) have pads, so you can't use those CPUs at all in a desktop.

Dec 22, 2012
Are there any mini ITX boards that take core2 mobile CPUs? So far the ones i've seen is a lot more expansive that it would be cheaper to get a mini ITX with an iseries CPU.

Dec 22, 2012
i thought they were socket P. The laptop i used them in supports the 45nm CPUs.
The CPUs have 800mhz fsb so i dont think the gm465 chipset would work. I did find a really good one that would work with those CPUs but i couldnt find where to buy or price of it.
http://www.jetwaycomputer.com/NC64.html
It has the features i'd like and uses DDR3 sodimm which is cheaper than DDR2.
It also supports quad cores. The chipset is compatible with 800mhz fsb CPUs.