Sign in with
Your question

HD 6570 on 300w

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 17, 2012 10:55:54 AM

Hello, so my nephew's birthday is coming up and I want to buy him a hd 6570 to replace his old overclocked 8600gt. One day I saw his PSU was a 300w no-branded one.So I went over to this site:

http://www.gpureview.com/radeon-hd-6570-gddr3-card-655....

and I saw it uses pretty much the same power as his 8600gt:

http://www.gpureview.com/geforce-8600-gt-card-513.html

Then I went over to ATI's site and saw it required a psu with a minimum of 400w..now I'm confused. I dont think my nephew had problems running his 8600gt on his 300w, why should he have a problem running the 6570 when they use the same power? Is it possible to do that?

More about : 6570 300w

a c 363 U Graphics card
June 17, 2012 1:54:17 PM

It will be fine. Graphic card manufacturers recommend a PSU that is generally more than enough to run a particular graphics card because they do not know exactly what components are in the PC. Some components uses more power than others.

For example, an AMD FX-8150 uses around 60w - 80w more than an Intel Core i5-2500k at stock speed and under 100% load. The FX-8150 is a newer, but weaker CPU.

Also, some people may only have 2 hard drives in their PC, others (like me) have 6 hard drives in their PCs. That could be a difference of 20w when the hard drives are idling.
a c 87 U Graphics card
June 17, 2012 2:26:46 PM

You might want to replace that PSU. PSUs degrade over time and pushing them as hard as you are with an overclocked 8600GT or a Radeon 6570 in an old, generic 300w can cause them to degrade even faster. This is actually a big part of why hardware manufacturers recommend what wattage they do, not just because they are taking into account higher end hardware that you might have. Getting a new 300-450w PSU should greatly improve your chances of not killing that PSU and it then taking some or all other hardware in your computer with it. Old, generic PSUs that have been pushed like this are generally in about as unreliable of a situation as reasonably possible in average usage.

If you don't replace it, then at the very least you should clean out as much dust and such in the PSU and on its fan as reasonably possible.
June 19, 2012 12:56:46 PM

blazorthon said:
You might want to replace that PSU. PSUs degrade over time and pushing them as hard as you are with an overclocked 8600GT or a Radeon 6570 in an old, generic 300w can cause them to degrade even faster. This is actually a big part of why hardware manufacturers recommend what wattage they do, not just because they are taking into account higher end hardware that you might have. Getting a new 300-450w PSU should greatly improve your chances of not killing that PSU and it then taking some or all other hardware in your computer with it. Old, generic PSUs that have been pushed like this are generally in about as unreliable of a situation as reasonably possible in average usage.

If you don't replace it, then at the very least you should clean out as much dust and such in the PSU and on its fan as reasonably possible.

Actually it's not that old, I had to replace my old psu in the last 365 days, can't remember when exactly.But I thank you and jaguar for repplying :) 
!