Sign in with
Your question

Unable to find raid drivers for hp proliant microserver

Last response: in Systems
August 7, 2012 5:48:20 PM

Hi,
I am not sure if this is the best category to put this in but here is my problem. We recently bought some HP Proliant microservers to replace some old DC's. We are trying to set them up as a raid 1 with server 2003. Windows does not see the hard drives and I have tried slip streaming every driver I could imagine onto the install with no luck. I know it uses AMD's raid controller but am not sure exactly which one. Has anyone else ran into this problem or something similar?
Thanks for any help,
Chris
a b α HP
August 8, 2012 2:54:21 AM

Does the BIOS have a raid setting? If so HP will have drivers on their support page.
m
l
August 8, 2012 12:23:13 PM

It is in the BIOS but HP only provides drivers for server 2008 which would not be causing us these problems.
m
l
Related resources
a b α HP
August 8, 2012 9:13:15 PM

Time to identify the Raid chip used in the server.

Turn off raid in the MB so you can install. Install. Run something like Sissoft Sandra (there is a free lite version) or Everest (there is a trial version). You are looking for the raid controller. For Sandra (the older version I have) Its in the motherboard report.

For example, my MB's raid support reads as

Disk Controller >
Model: HP ICH8R (ICH8) SATA RAID Controller
OEM Device Name: Intel ICH8R (ICH8) SATA RAID Controller
Interface: SATA
Revision: A1
Maximum SATA Mode: G2 / SATA300
RAID Support: Yes
RAID Enabled: Yes
Channels: 6
In Use Channels: 3, 50%
Port: G2 / SATA300

< Disk Controller >
Model: HP JMB36X PCIE-to-SATAII/IDE RAID Controller
OEM Device Name: Jmicron JMB36X PCIE-to-SATAII/IDE RAID
Controller
Interface: ATA
Revision: A4
Channels: 4

Post what you get when you look at your MB.

Aside: model number for you PC would probably get to a MB on the HP site, which would probably tell what chipset is used which would probably tell what raid support you have ....

m
l
November 13, 2012 12:45:07 PM

pedalbike said:
Hi,
I am not sure if this is the best category to put this in but here is my problem. We recently bought some HP Proliant microservers to replace some old DC's. We are trying to set them up as a raid 1 with server 2003. Windows does not see the hard drives and I have tried slip streaming every driver I could imagine onto the install with no luck. I know it uses AMD's raid controller but am not sure exactly which one. Has anyone else ran into this problem or something similar?
Thanks for any help,
Chris

Hi,
Enter the bios (f10) and change AHCI to IDE - this fools the older n/o/s installer and lulls it into a false sense of security which allows it to install your system just like in the good old days of sbs2003.
Chris
m
l
April 13, 2013 2:47:04 AM

Brilliant! Thanks, It's been driving me mad for two days. And a couple of time I thought of trying the IDE Thanks again
Morke

Enter the bios (f10) and change AHCI to IDE - this fools the older n/o/s installer and lulls it into a false sense of security which allows it to install your system just like in the good old days of sbs2003.
Chris[/quotemsg]

m
l
!