Sign in with
Your question

Did i do the thermal paste correctly?

Last response: in CPUs
December 22, 2012 8:32:40 PM

hey everyone i just had a quick question. i upgraded my cpu from a phenom2 945 to a 2500k. my temps under full load with the phenom 2 was 38 degrees. i have the hyper 212 cooler. i did put alot of paste on the 945 and it ended up oozing out the sides. i had to clean up a bit but it wasnt too bad. now with the same cooler on the 2500k my temps get to 55 load and mid 30s idle. this time around i put way less paste. i tried to match what ive seen in videos. a pea sized dot but i wanna know if i had too much on the old cpu and that was why it was cooler.
a b à CPUs
December 22, 2012 10:15:43 PM

Hi mate , did you clean the surface of the cpu & new cooler with isopropyl ? Some sort of alchohol ? Also if the paste oozed from the sides you've used too much paste.
m
l
December 22, 2012 10:47:25 PM

ihsaan96 said:
Hi mate , did you clean the surface of the cpu & new cooler with isopropyl ? Some sort of alchohol ? Also if the paste oozed from the sides you've used too much paste.

yes sir i did clean the cpu and cooler. i know i used too much paste but did that help my temps on my last cpu?
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 23, 2012 12:27:08 AM

If you used a pea sized dot, its okay but eh. With a 2500K, the die is rectangular, not square, so the BEST method to apply is a SUPER thin, short vertical line in the center of the CPU. Thats the best method for modern Intel CPUs.
EDIT: Also, the best method really for square dies is equivalent to a grain of rice, not a pea. Pea is still a bit too big - you don't wanna cover the whole heat spreader, just the area on top of the die.
m
l
!