Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How i burned my vga

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 17, 2012 11:48:08 AM

Hello;

I have an old gt7300; it has been around for 4 years and wanted to repaste it. I removed the heat sink, put a little thermal paste just to cover the graphics processor, put it in and fired it up, it worked for like 5 minutes while just viewing bios then pc started to restart over and over, I removed the card and its heat sink was burning of heat.

Let it cool a little bit then removed heat sink, the paste was evenly on the processor and nothing wrong, I have put it in another pc and repaste everything but it is not working anymore, i have done many repastes for the cpu with no problems what so ever.

I just would like to know what I have done wrong to avoid it next time; also the original paste was like pink glue it took me sometime to clean it from heat sink and graphics processor.

Regards...

More about : burned vga

a b U Graphics card
June 17, 2012 1:07:19 PM

rhahahahaha! Hey, are you mad why were you cover the GPU with the paste it would not work when you spread it. That is all you did wrong.
Could you post the image of current status of your gpu
m
l

Best solution

a c 84 U Graphics card
June 17, 2012 1:19:47 PM

it's perfectly fine to spread the paste with old credit card or something, I've done it several times and it has worked well. So nothing wrong with the method...

Does the heatsink have fan on it? is it still spinning?
Related resources
June 17, 2012 1:31:08 PM

Kari said:
it's perfectly fine to spread the paste with old credit card or something, I've done it several times and it has worked well. So nothing wrong with the method...

Does the heatsink have fan on it? is it still spinning?

hello Kari;

yes, the fan was spinning fine and still spinning fine, so what went wrong?!

p.s. even when i test it(althought not working anymore) for 30 seconds it gets really hot !

regards...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 17, 2012 1:41:41 PM

Most likely you just put to much on, try doing it again :) 

I had to do it atleast 4+ times with my 212 EVO heatsink to get the right amount (not to mention the holes on my mobo aren't centered right, but thats a story for another day)
m
l
a c 84 U Graphics card
June 17, 2012 1:52:50 PM

dont know really...
maybe some of the paste (or some of the old paste) got under the chip onto the solder joints making shorts and causing excessive heat output. Though there should be underfill compound underneath the chip, so it shouldn't be possible for something like this to happen. There is a gap between the chip carrier substrate and the actuall printed circuit board, but it would need one major 'Oops' to get the paste in there...
And because the heatsink gets hot, it shows that the thermal interface between the sink and the chip is good.
Is the heatsink itself clean, so no dust in there?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 17, 2012 2:04:16 PM

I should read posts before I start typing stuff, ignore my previous one...

What thermal paste did you use? some are conductive, is there any left over paste on the board itself that might be causing a problem.
m
l
June 17, 2012 2:08:08 PM

hi;

@kari, yes the heatsink is clean.

@mouse24, i use ceramic paste, the same i use for my cpu with no problems, and i made sure that there is no left overs of old paste.

regards.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 17, 2012 3:01:40 PM

may be your card lifespan has over. 4 years is too long.
m
l
June 17, 2012 4:36:51 PM

Best answer selected by jhafner.
m
l
!