Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Loose connection/failing PSU? Works only when placed on its side.

Last response: in Components
December 22, 2012 8:59:33 PM

Hello guys,

Desktop wouldn't start, if it did it was only for a second. When tower was placed on its side, it works just fine. No obvious shorting, all connections seemed fine, RAM, Mobo probably okay - since the PC is working fine, atm. So... the PC seems fine, as long as its on its side. Does the PSU have a loose connection/hardware failure that is making it fail only when it is upright (like a piece that's drooping under its weight)?

Here are my specs:

Motherboard - MSI 7597 (GM615M - P33)
Processor - AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 3.2GHz
RAM - 8 GB (2X 4GB DDR3 DIMM)
PSU - Thermaltake TR-2 600W
GPU - ZOTAC (GeForce 660 Ti)
Had it for more than a year now.

I've been reading many posts here to see if it could answer my query and perhaps solve my problem altogether; it looks like there are very knowledgeable folks here.

This morning, my desktop wouldn't start at all. Then I tried changing the slots for the power cable and it started momentarily, it got to the windows logon page and shutdown. Switching the PSU button on and off and clicking the power switch on the front panel brought no luck. About an hour later, I got to start, again only long enough for windows to load, then abruptly it crashed.

Tried reseating the RAM sticks - when I plugged in one of them (by itself) it displayed a CMOS checksum failure - I assumed it was because only 1 RAM stick was installed at the time. I switched it out with the other RAM and it powered on, again only for a very short while and shutdown. I plugged them both in. Reseating and cleaning the RAM got me to keep the machine turned on once, but nothing else happened - the fans spun, the mobo blue LED was steady but no booting. The display wasn't there and I couldn't get it to boot up. without the RAM the motherboard let out 3 beeps, so I assume the mobo was fine. After that 90% of the time pressing the power switch did absolutely nothing. Sometimes it would fire up the fans for a sec or so and then shutdown again.

I looked for frayed wiring (for shorting), loose screws, anything that would suggest shorting - there didn't seem to be anything. I looked for busted capacitors - nothing. I swapped the power switch with the reset button - beyond the obligatory fan turning on momentarily, nothing happened. Then I happened to put the tower on its side - and turn it on. It booted like nothing had ever happened. I backed some data up and tried restarting it. It restarted without a problem. I turned it off and placed it upright - lo behold no booting and the power switch turned the fans on for a second before dying. I placed it on its side again and the computer switched on without a hitch.

Damn things working just fine right now, just has to be on its side.

Any thoughts are appreciated, I suppose I would need a new PSU. Could you please recommend one? This PSU has a 5 y warrenty though, should I try to get it replaced first?
Also, sorry for the rambling post. I thought a commentary might describe the problem well.
a b ) Power supply
December 25, 2012 2:08:31 PM

This one is one of the best, SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold ((SS-650KM Active PFC F3)) 650W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply
m
l
December 25, 2012 3:32:04 PM

knightdog56 said:
This one is one of the best, SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold ((SS-650KM Active PFC F3)) 650W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Hi Knight,

Thanks for the suggestion. Any thoughts on what is ailing my computer? I keep feeling it maybe a combination of shorting and a physical failure inside the PSU.

Cooltoad.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b ) Power supply
December 25, 2012 11:25:31 PM

Check to make sure no pins are pushed back on 24 pin main power connector or on the cpu power connector. Could also try to reseat the cpu.
m
l
December 26, 2012 12:15:58 AM

knightdog56 said:
Check to make sure no pins are pushed back on 24 pin main power connector or on the cpu power connector. Could also try to reseat the cpu.

I don't think the CPU pins were disturbed, the PC is working just fine atm, just has to be on its side. Confounding problem.
m
l
February 15, 2013 7:58:25 PM

did you ever find a solution? I am having this same problem with a new build.. :sweat: 
m
l
February 19, 2013 9:48:03 PM

glit said:
did you ever find a solution? I am having this same problem with a new build.. :sweat: 

Unfortunately no, I just keep my rig on its side now. I'll eventually buy a power supply and see if replacing it works. Let me know what works for you.
m
l

Best solution

February 19, 2013 9:57:25 PM

i'm not sure how you're housing your psu (top or bottom), but it sounds to me like you have a wire thats shorting out, for example a wire that has a mild short in it won't work with the wire hanging, its own weight is enough to make the wire not work. turning it on its side to me sounds like you're relieving the cable from its own weight where its not enough for the short to affect you.

are you able to try another psu?
March 7, 2013 10:54:22 PM

HoboCannibaL said:
i'm not sure how you're housing your psu (top or bottom), but it sounds to me like you have a wire thats shorting out, for example a wire that has a mild short in it won't work with the wire hanging, its own weight is enough to make the wire not work. turning it on its side to me sounds like you're relieving the cable from its own weight where its not enough for the short to affect you.

are you able to try another psu?

I'll be able to buy a new PSU soon. But I think the problem is exactly what you say, it was suggested in another forum as well. What a trivial issue, but it certainly knocks out your PC. Will update on the result. Thanks for the input.
m
l
!