Corsair TX650 fan ticking, can I replace it?

morron

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010
Hey guys,

I've got a TX650 (v1 I think) in my PC, the PSU is running fine but the fan is occasionally ticking: It will run normally for hours, then without warning with begin to audibly tick/click for 10 seconds to a minute then stop again. It's still under warranty but having my PC out of action for 3 weeks + is not ideal for me.

I've been thinking of simply replacing the fan for another 140mm one such as:http://www.scan.co.uk/products/140m...nt-fan-hdb-bearing-pwm-with-s-flow-blades-oem . I've read online that the fan uses a two pin connector, could I simply just the old fan and scotch lock this new fan to the old wires? I'm too handy with a soldering iron, If I cant do that I could always run the power connector out of the psu and run it from a molex or something.

Will this work or am I asking for trouble? Im aware that I need to discharge the PSU completey, how can I do this?

Thanks in advance.

ihsaan96

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012
To be honest I wouldn't mess with a Power Supply. Too many delicate components in there and you don't want to dodge something up and put it back in your system with it short circuiting etc. Just try live without the PC for 3weeks it'll be worth it. I'm having to do this about my graphics card , it crashes my system for no reason.

Hope I helped :)

morron

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010

Just got a quote for shipping the thing to the netherlands, they want £22 pounds and too be honest £22 quid and 3 weeks with no pc is an absolute kick in the balls.

morron

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010
Quick update for anyone else with this problem:

The fan in the tx650v1 is 120mm NOT 140mm (woops) and is connected to the PSU with a 2 pin connector. I bought another quality 120mm fan (60cfm+) and took it all apart, removed the old fan and put in a new one.

The replacement fan is a 3pin and I have the wire running out of the psu and plugged into my fan controller and everythings working great!