CPU temp question

K2alta

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
Hello,
This is my first post and I wanted to start by thanking everyone on the site for helping all us newbies out there. While I was was building my first computer you guys always had the answer. I thought it time to make an account and stop just trolling the forums.
Anyway, I have a i5 3570K OC to 4.2 Ghz. while idle it stays at about 30 C and while gaming it goes up to about 80 max. From what I have read this is normal. My problem started when I installed Far Cry 3, This game brings my temp up to mid 90C (95C max)
Is this healthy and can I continue to play the game with no worries? The CPU tj. Max is 105 C but considering I have been 10 C away its a little concerning lol

BTW I have the stock CPU heat sink installed.

Dupontrocks11

Honorable
May 7, 2012
Having a CPU is the 90 range is not good at all. The reason you have these temps is because you have a stock heatsink installed. If you got an aftermarket heatsink (which I HIGHLY suggest you do) you would see temps in the mid 60's.

If you decide to keep the stock heatsink, you should bring your overclock way down. Stock heatsinks are meant to keep the CPU functional under normal conditions and it can shorten the life of your processor if you subject it to an overclock without a good cooling solution.

ihsaan96

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012
It's safe to use it...but I wouldn't recommend letting your system go that high. Not healthy for the CPU to always hit such high temperatures. I'd recommend you get better cooling or a better cooler for your CPU. If you continue with the OC get a liquid cooler such as Corsair H100i

K2alta

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
Thanks for the quick reply's.
Ok so do you think I have done any permanent damage?

edit:Its funny because crysis 2, assassins creed 3 does not give me those high temps. Just far cry 3...

Dupontrocks11

Honorable
May 7, 2012

No need to buy such an expensive cooler for an overclock like that. I have have my 3570k at 4.3 with a CM Hyper 212+ Evo. Not to mention my stance on closed loop systems. If you are making the dedication to a large overclock, you should install a custom loop.

Dupontrocks11

Honorable
May 7, 2012

No, not at all. If you maintained that temperature, it could have a chance to shorten the life, but it's not guaranteed.