Sign in with
Your question

Computer frozen, buzzing sound and last frame of game displayed.

Last response: in Components
December 22, 2012 11:36:41 PM

This is the first time this has happened to me, I built my computer about a month or two ago with these specs:

Intel Core i7-3770k
GeForce GTX680
Sabertooth z77 Motherboard
Corsair 800watt Power Supply
Liquid CPU cooler
2 fans

The problem occured while playing Planetside 2 for the first time, on max settings (is this the problem? It ran smooth at >60FPS). The whole screen froze at the last frame, and Alt + Tab, Ctrl + Alt + Delete, Alt + F4, none of these worked. There was a buzzing sound through my speakers (probably just the last audio frame), and I could do naught but restart my computer.

I found that someone else had this problem and it was assumed to be a driver problem, but I couldn't find a solid fix for it. I'm really worried because this is the first time this happened and I hope it doesn't mean something overheated or broke. Also, sorry if you need more specs, I just got these off the top of my head.
December 25, 2012 2:54:57 AM

It just happened again. Can someone help out?
Related resources
December 25, 2012 10:11:32 AM

It could be the GPU RAM overheating or it could be the GPU core overheating.

December 25, 2012 10:26:45 AM

Yeah download HW monitor/MSI Afterburner and keep an eye on it.

To me is sounds like the 680 is overheating.

Is it stock clock or overclocked?

December 25, 2012 10:30:57 AM

BTW I would still LOVE to have your rig for Planetside2!
December 25, 2012 3:55:36 PM

With the installation of the two new fans, will there be any permanent damage? The temps seem stable, http://i.imgur.com/bcVKW.png (before) and http://i.imgur.com/pv9MH.png (after). I didn't take any temperatures from before the crash, so I have no way of knowing if these fans helped at all.

ccovemaker said:
BTW I would still LOVE to have your rig for Planetside2!

What do you mean, rig? If you mean specs, I believe I posted them up at the top.
December 26, 2012 6:52:32 AM

There seems to be a 50C differences in the 680 so i am sure that is making a difference.
!