GTX580 Crashing on 2nd Time Use...

sir_shanahan

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2011
Hello All,

Last November I built a gaming PC with a 3GB Phantom GTX580. It's been sitting around for months but last week I had some time off and downloaded and completed the storyline of Batman: Arkham City. I was quite impressed with everything. I am not much of a gamer but I thought the gfx were top notch and 3D is the future of gaming.

Yesterday I fired it up again me and a mate started it from the beginning. Not even 10mins into the game the sound and graphics froze, then bluescreened. Following several restarts I eventually got into windows without it freezing up. I noticed there was a ne geforce driver available so I downloaded it. Upon installing it I recieved the error "%1 is not a valid win32 application". I messed around with this for a while until I found a solution online. Eventually I got the new driver installed but I'd somehow lost the ability to enable 3D. I uninstalled the new driver and reinstalled the previous driver. 3D works again now but I'm still crashing after like 2 mins of gameplay.

So far this GPU has done about 12hrs of work, there is nothing visually unusual about it, no strange smells or noises - and it certainly wasn't cheap so I'll be thoroughly unimpressed if it's dead or dying... Can anyone shed any light on the situation I am in? I know PCs well enough but I've always been a console gamer...

System specs are:
Z68 Gene-Z
8GB Vengeance
OCZ SSD
WD HDD

It's Oc'd but stable and on less than 1.4v, as I say I did a day's gaming last week with no troubles whatsoever...

1. Reinstall drivers

-Uninstall all nVidia drivers
-Use registry cleaner (i.e. ccleaner) to remove all things nVidia from registry
-Reboot, tell windows "no" if it wants ti do anything
-d/l and install latest driver

2. Check Event Viewer for error messages

3. Have you installed the correct drivers for your OS (64 or 32 bit)

jhafner

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011

hi;

do what JackNaylorPE said, but also return it to it's default settings before overclocking and install hwmoniter and check temps + voltages while idle and while playing if it worked.

regards...

sir_shanahan

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2011
Ok so GPU is at stock, I have heard that the phantoms don't overclock well so I haven't bothered. It did come with 'expert tool' or something similar but I haven't tried it. Deleted all the nVidia stuff and won't install the newest driver, so I'm back on the last one. Got a few hours gameplay last night, no hitches.

I'm a little concerned because while I cannot find the link now, one of the first posts I read following the initial problem claimed that error messages such as these (and the card choking up) are early signs that the card is on the way out. Is that the case? Should I be hassling Gainward?

Thanks for your replies guys, much appreciated