Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

icon of cd-drive doesn't change back

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 12:06:10 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Hello newsgroup,

i often have the problem that after i inserted a game - cd in my drive the
icon in the my computer window doesn't change back. It's alway the icon of
the autoplay cd, even if there's another cd or none inserted. (F5 also
doesn't help)

where are these information stored? Is it possible to delete them manually?
I've WinXP

Thanks!

Chris

More about : icon drive change back

Anonymous
May 17, 2005 8:25:54 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

I find the same after removing a CD, but eventually when a new CD is
inserted the name changes

I'll be inteersted to hear an answer
--
Cheers,
Trevor L.
Website: http://tandcl.homemail.com.au

Christian Kirsch wrote:
> Hello newsgroup,
>
> i often have the problem that after i inserted a game - cd in my
> drive the icon in the my computer window doesn't change back. It's
> alway the icon of the autoplay cd, even if there's another cd or none
> inserted. (F5 also doesn't help)
>
> where are these information stored? Is it possible to delete them
> manually? I've WinXP
>
> Thanks!
>
> Chris


I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you?
http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 8:25:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

"Trevor L." <tandcl@homemail.com.au> wrote in message
news:o SwzPlqWFHA.2740@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>
> Christian Kirsch wrote:
>> Hello newsgroup,
>>
>> i often have the problem that after i inserted a game - cd in my
>> drive the icon in the my computer window doesn't change back. It's
>> alway the icon of the autoplay cd, even if there's another cd or none
>> inserted. (F5 also doesn't help)
>>
>> where are these information stored? Is it possible to delete them
>> manually? I've WinXP
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

>I find the same after removing a CD, but eventually when a new CD is
>inserted the name changes
>
> I'll be inteersted to hear an answer
>

There may be an autorun.inf file in the root directory of your system
drive (usually c:\). If there is, delete the autorun.inf file.

--
William
Related resources
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 3:02:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

> There may be an autorun.inf file in the root directory of your system
> drive (usually c:\). If there is, delete the autorun.inf file.
>

And what's the effect on my cd-drive when i do that? apart from that the
file doesn't exist! Please read the post EXACTLY !

Chris
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 8:05:21 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

On Wed, 18 May 2005 11:02:44 +0200, Christian Kirsch wrote:

> And what's the effect on my cd-drive when i do that? apart from that the
> file doesn't exist! Please read the post EXACTLY !

No effect. The file is on any CD that uses autorun.inf. Sometimes a copy
accidentally drops onto a local drive and needs to be deleted.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 8:10:34 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

On Tue, 17 May 2005 08:06:10 +0200, Christian Kirsch wrote:

> Hello newsgroup,
>
> i often have the problem that after i inserted a game - cd in my drive the
> icon in the my computer window doesn't change back. It's alway the icon of
> the autoplay cd, even if there's another cd or none inserted. (F5 also
> doesn't help)
>
> where are these information stored? Is it possible to delete them manually?
> I've WinXP
>
> Thanks!
>
> Chris

Chris, some CD drives do not refresh the label info shown in Explorer very
efficiently. And Explorer is an adequate file tool but has its own set of
problems including odd refresh issues. Solutions for this type of problem
are widely varied and don't always work.

Some ideas: You may have to relaunch explorer to force a new read of a new
disk label. You might need a firmware update for the CD drive. Might need
to update any CD related software (burning programs, for example). Those
are just the few that I can think of. There are registry edits related to
this issue as well but I haven't tried them.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 4:14:46 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

"Christian Kirsch" <lol@lol.de> wrote in message
news:428b04b7$0$79455$14726298@news.sunsite.dk...
>
>> There may be an autorun.inf file in the root directory of your system
>> drive (usually c:\). If there is, delete the autorun.inf file.
>>
>
> And what's the effect on my cd-drive when i do that? apart from that
> the file doesn't exist! Please read the post EXACTLY !
>

The autorun.inf file sometimes is located in the root directory, and can
cause the symptoms you are describing.
In the future, you do not need to reply with snarly remarks. I offer
free assistance to people with computer related problems on my own spare
time.

--
William
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 6:48:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

> No effect. The file is on any CD that uses autorun.inf. Sometimes a copy
> accidentally drops onto a local drive and needs to be deleted.

possible, but an autorun.inf in the root directory of my harddisk changes
the icon of the harddisk drive, but thats not the problem!

Chris
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 6:51:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

> The autorun.inf file sometimes is located in the root directory, and can
> cause the symptoms you are describing.
> In the future, you do not need to reply with snarly remarks. I offer free
> assistance to people with computer related problems on my own spare time.

Sorry, i didn't want to sound abusive! But an autorun inf in the root
directory of my hdd changes the icon of the hard disk, not the cd-drive

Chris
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 6:54:50 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

> Some ideas: You may have to relaunch explorer to force a new read of a new
> disk label.

unfortunately no effect (tried yet)

> You might need a firmware update for the CD drive.

The firmware is the newest

> Might need
> to update any CD related software (burning programs, for example).

It also appears on original cd's so it can't be an errornous burned cd

> Those
> are just the few that I can think of. There are registry edits related to
> this issue as well but I haven't tried them.


Sorry, nothing helped, but thanks for you efford! Do you have a webpage
about the registry edits?


Thanks!

Chris
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 10:06:00 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

On Fri, 20 May 2005 14:54:50 +0200, Christian Kirsch wrote:

> It also appears on original cd's so it can't be an errornous burned cd

Actually whether they're originals or burned CDs doesn't matter. Third
party burning programs often take over the initial reading of any CD. If
they are not releasing the handle back to explorer to update the disk info,
there's a problem that needs correcting. This is why I mentioned this
aspect.

> Sorry, nothing helped, but thanks for you efford! Do you have a webpage
> about the registry edits?

I would suggest trying Kelly's Korner (www.kellys-korner-xp.com) and the
section for better burning at Harry O's site
(http://www.webtree.ca/newlife/cd_burning_info.htm)

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
!