Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Questions on upgrading processors

Last response: in CPUs
December 23, 2012 1:53:40 AM

Alright, i want to upgrade my Pentium dual-core E6700 to a Core 2 Quad Q8300. I want to know What exactly i need to make sure that the new processor will fit/work in my computer. I know the sockets are correct but is there anything else? Oh and my motherboard is a dell 018d1y. Not sure what else i need to know besides socket type and mobo wattage
a b à CPUs
December 23, 2012 2:49:50 AM

Well usually you need to have the latest BIOS for your system and then you just install the new CPU into the slot. I'm not sure which Dell Model you have (guessing 560), but that is usually how it goes.
Score

Best solution

a b à CPUs
December 23, 2012 2:59:03 AM

Hard to say. I recommend that you should go out and buy a new MOBO and i3. The thing is that if your motherboard is outdated and old, don't get the old stuff to fix it because you will pay more to fix it then it would cost to get a newer and faster system.

Motherboard
Processor
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 23, 2012 3:00:40 AM

melikepie said:
Hard to say. I recommend that you should go out and buy a new MOBO and i3. The thing is that if your motherboard is outdated and old, don't get the old stuff to fix it because you will pay more to fix it then it would cost to get a newer and faster system.

Motherboard
Processor

I would agree with that, UNLESS you already have the CPU. If you don't have the CPU than I would upgrade to an socket 1155 Pentium/i3/i5/i7 and new z77 based mobo, if you have the $ to do so.

I currently have a e6700 CPU in a s775 system and I also have a Q8300 CPU waiting to go into it, so I'm potentially in the same boat as you. I fortunately don't have a Dell mobo (which can be restricting on what you can do) so I won't possibly have as many restrictions that you might have (as far as upgrades go).
Score
a b à CPUs
December 23, 2012 3:04:01 AM

lunyone said:
I would agree with that, UNLESS you already have the CPU. If you don't have the CPU than I would upgrade to an socket 1155 Pentium/i3/i5/i7 and new z77 based mobo, if you have the $ to do so.

I currently have a e6700 CPU in a s775 system and I also have a Q8300 CPU waiting to go into it, so I'm potentially in the same boat as you. I fortunately don't have a Dell mobo (which can be restricting on what you can do) so I won't possibly have as many restrictions that you might have (as far as upgrades go).

Well, still not worth it. The i3 makes the Core 2 Quad look like poop.
Score
December 23, 2012 3:09:28 AM

melikepie said:
Well, still not worth it. The i3 makes the Core 2 Quad look like poop.

Would that i3 you recommended be able to do stuff like streaming/recording games? Ive mainly wanted the cpu upgrade for it to be able to handle things like that.

Also thanks for those recommendations, spent the past how long trying to find a nice combo for under 200
Score
a b à CPUs
December 23, 2012 3:14:23 AM

tingcelery said:
Would that i3 you recommended be able to do stuff like streaming/recording games? Ive mainly wanted the cpu upgrade for it to be able to handle things like that.

Also thanks for those recommendations, spent the past how long trying to find a nice combo for under 200

Yep, it should do just fine.
Score
December 23, 2012 3:19:31 AM

melikepie said:
Yep, it should do just fine.

Sweet, thank you SOO much. Saved me a lot of time on this one.
Score
December 23, 2012 3:21:51 AM

Best answer selected by tingcelery.
Score
!