Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Pc wont boot up, possibly the psu or graphic card?

Last response: in Systems
August 7, 2012 9:02:14 PM

Hello everyone,
-------
I also posted this in my new build topic, but since that topic was already marked solve before this issue came up, I wasn't sure if it needed a new topic.
-------

So I bought a new PC from best buy, a prebuilt Asus essentio, i5 Intel proccessor. I purchased and added additional ram for a total of 8gb, added an nvidia 260gts, and my antec truepower 650w psu to power it. the PC worked fine at first, besides an overheating issue, but now wont turn on at all. When i press power, the fans spin loudly, but the monitor doesnt come on, and i have to hold power down to turn it off. It does that everytime i try to turn it on.

I tried resetting the ram into the motherboard, but didn't help. I took the ram out and turned it on, expecting the MB to beep, it did not. So I took out my 260gts and I put back the stock 300w psu it originally came with, and it worked, turned back on.

So, I can't figure out exactly what's wrong with it, and I don't really know much about pcs either really. Would anyone here be able to help? I'd appreciate it. I was hoping to reuse both the psu and 260 in a new build I'm making, but I need to know if they are good (Especially the psu, I wouldn't want to like, fry my new pc or something). Thanks!
a b U Graphics card
August 8, 2012 2:48:49 AM

Isolate the problem to the GTX260 or the PSU.

Run the PC with the Antec PSU and without the GTX260. Does it work?

Run the PC with the 300W PSU and the GTX260 for a short time. It should work under light load. (edit: if you don't have molex to PCIe adapters you may not be able to do this -- I don't think a 300W PSU typically has the two 6-pin PCIe power inputs you need. Aside, My i7-920 + gtx260 system is pulling only 121watts at the wall right now as I type this according to my APC UPS, 300W should be OK for light load if you have the adapters)

Do you still have warranty active on the Antec or the GTX260?
m
l
August 8, 2012 4:38:43 AM

tsnor said:
Isolate the problem to the GTX260 or the PSU.

Run the PC with the Antec PSU and without the GTX260. Does it work?

Run the PC with the 300W PSU and the GTX260 for a short time. It should work under light load. (edit: if you don't have molex to PCIe adapters you may not be able to do this -- I don't think a 300W PSU typically has the two 6-pin PCIe power inputs you need. Aside, My i7-920 + gtx260 system is pulling only 121watts at the wall right now as I type this according to my APC UPS, 300W should be OK for light load if you have the adapters)

Do you still have warranty active on the Antec or the GTX260?

The integrated graphics has a different connection then my monitor (VGA I think) so until I get a convert I don't think I can test the first option. Also don't think the second option will work for the reasons you mentioned. Thank you for the suggestions though, still much appreciated.

I don't have warranty for either unfortunately, got both about 5 years ago, as I said they are remnants taken from my last pc into the new one.

Any other methods for checking them? or perhaps a better question, my new PC build is coming in soon. Another poster in another topic suggested I simply plug the psu and graphic card in and see which works, but does this run any risk or damaging any of my parts (Especially if my psu is indeed faulty?) Thanks again for the help so far, I appreciate it.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
August 8, 2012 11:58:44 AM

atomsk88 said:
The integrated graphics has a different connection then my monitor (VGA I think) so until I get a convert I don't think I can test the first option. ...

The i5 integrated video can drive DVI, HDMI, VGA. Check the box that came with your PC. There should be an adapter in the box that is VGA out and plugs into the DVI plug on the MB. It should look something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

-- Ignoring above --

You said " So I took out my 260gts and I put back the stock 300w psu it originally came with, and it worked, turned back on. " Now leave the gtx260 out, put the antec truepower PSU in and see if it fires up. YES = video card fail. NO= PSU fail.

August 8, 2012 2:29:38 PM

tsnor said:
The i5 integrated video can drive DVI, HDMI, VGA. Check the box that came with your PC. There should be an adapter in the box that is VGA out and plugs into the DVI plug on the MB. It should look something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

-- Ignoring above --

You said " So I took out my 260gts and I put back the stock 300w psu it originally came with, and it worked, turned back on. " Now leave the gtx260 out, put the antec truepower PSU in and see if it fires up. YES = video card fail. NO= PSU fail.

The pc came with no such adaptor, but that's probably because it's a prebuilt. I have a VGA to dvi plug from an older pc, just not the other way around unfortunately.

Tried your suggestion, seems to be the psu, it turned on, but crashed after a while, perhaps it's in the process of dying off. Either way, after trying this I went ahead and ordered a new one. I figure if I'm building a need pc I might as well put parts in it I know will work. Thanks your your help!
m
l
August 8, 2012 2:30:57 PM

Best answer selected by atomsk88.
m
l
!