Dapake

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012
I have this video card and it is pretty good. It plays Mass Effect 3 and Skyrim on ultra. However, it can get quite loud when you put a load on it and also it can get a little hot. (like around 70 C). Other than that I havent had any major issues with it and Ive been using this card for over a month now.

xtreme5

Distinguished
i know that is a good card, but have you ever realized why is that reference model lower in price than all the other reference design models, if you look into other reference design they all are in the $200 the same model HD 6870, this because of they aren't good that is why i told you don't waste your money on XFX.

surferdude1129

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012
Also, I wont be doing "hardcore" gaming with this computer... It's more for general use with some gaming here and there... No BF3 or anything of that intensity.... I don't know if any of that helps, but it seems that for my price range and intended use, it seems like a good card.

Now I know it runs hot, you've stated that. It's one of the better cards for my price range... But,

Do I need to make it lower in temperature for what I'm looking to do with it?

How do I do said cooling, if I need it?

Thanks for the help....

the 550ti is a bad card, at ~130$ you should look towards a gtx 460 on the nvidia side

oddlyinsane

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
If its $130 - thats a steal. It performs on par or even marginally better than the normal 560 (non Ti). in fact, it performs very close to the 560 Ti, except it doesnt have much of the overclocking headroom :)

FYI, it can BF3 on a mix of high/ultra at 45+ fps. so if it can play BF3, it can play any other game ;)

regards

doron

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
Seems like a good deal, however some newegg user feedback are bad, so xtreme5 may be right about this model.

The HD 7770 might be the right card for you, it's quiet, power efficient, runs cool, and has really decent performance at about HD 6850 level, which is excellent considering it's about 110-130 bucks on newegg.

There's nothing wrong with XFX. Just get one of their other versions of the 6870, with a custom cooling solution. It's not XFX's fault the reference design isn't all that great.