Is this a solid gaming rig?

Solution

Right, but remember the OP doesn't want to overclock. And no, it's not a "free" boost either: you have to pay for the unlocked multiplier ($20), an aftermarket cooler ($30 min), a motherboard that supports it ($10 more min for one with a good phase regulator), and then you have to spend the time (lots of hours) into getting all the settings right and ensuring that it's stable.

That's quite an investment for something that will only really shine in synthetic and productivity applications.

@OP: Your build is great, and will perform very well. The only suggestions I have are backing...

aqualipt

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
No no... DO NOT ever buy rosewill PSU's

Change the CPU for a i5 3570k

Change the motherboard to Asrock Z77 Extreme 4

PSU: Cosair G600 or TX650 V2

Add a CPU cooler (Coolermaster 212 EVO) for overclocking.

zachmartin1202

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012

I forgot to add, I will not be over clocking, and if I do it wouldn't overclock it very much, that takes out the cooler as well. I will look at the Asrock. And I will change my psu.
Thanks

aqualipt

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

To be hones, i couldnt care less what does review says, rosewill have a very bad reputation and most of the people that ask for help in this forum regarding a PC not booting have a Rosewill/raidmax/no-name PSU, i prefer to pay a little bit more to acquarie a product that i know FOR SURE will work.

not all psu companies make their own PSUs. you are following fanboy tactics and thinking all psus from a company are good. If i gave you one one antec high end psu does it mean antec is bad? No it doesn't. when shopping for PSU's the one who looks up professional reviews gets a lot farther than one who goes by brand(most of the people who go by brand don't even know who made the PSU, for instance corsair does not design any of their psus).

rosewill used to have a crappy line of psus, but they are one of the companies who decided to make a change and rehaul all of their products. now just about all of their units are sent in for 80+ certification, and so far the latest model "Fortress" which is 80+ platinum has gotten good reviews already, and has a 7 year warranty.

anyways, he probably picked the hive because i personally use it myself, because he had a 600+w psu and he didnt plan on overclocking and i was using myself as proof that you didnt need a 600+ w psu to handle a 7850

aqualipt

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

I know that, most psus are manufactured by PC power & cooling and Seasonic...the point i am trying to make is that in general rosewills PSU suck, they have a very high failure ratio.

And as i already said, there is no point in buying a crappy PSU when you buy a higher quality PSU for only a bit more, renember that the PSU is a critical part of a build, its has the power to fry your system.

zachmartin1202

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012

I don't think ill change the mobo mainly b/c it's more and will increase my budget I am already over

zachmartin1202

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012

I'm gonna go with the one you recommended me b/c it's cheaper and I am on a slight budget. Do you think 520w will power a slight over clock in the future?

aqualipt

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

i am not a fanboy, i just dont like low-quality stuff.

Thats like saying AMD is better than Intel... in what universe is AMD better than Intel??

or that Real Madrid FC is better than FC barcelona because they have won the champions leage more times...that stuff from the past.

Nope, not right again, most psus are generated by companies that dont even sell psus anymore really. for instance, corsair is made from seasonic and cwt(you probably dont even know who that is), and a newer model by flextronic. saying that the psu is crappy especially right after saying that you wont read the review is pure ignorance. A test of brand loyalty would be similar to this question:

If i offered a Rosewill Hive 550w vs a Corsair CX 600w, most people who would go brand loyalty would pick corsair, because they havent learned nothing about the other psu. Other sites like eggxpert would agree that the Hive is a better quality unit than the corsair CX series, and are on different tiers.

@above post, the difference between AMD and intel is huge. Your making an incorrect statment in the PSU world as a whole. 1 company does not generate all of the best psus at all price points. saying that all rosewill products are of "bad quality" is pure ignorance. You wont even take the time to look at a review.

aqualipt

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

Well you should... its a great investment, you should also buy the i5 3570k because overclocking will come in handy and the cooler too... and the PSU will guaranteed you a constant quality power delivery.

aqualipt

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

Oh no... i did read the reviews and overall that model seems to be good, and if i had those two choices you mentioned (Hive 550w and CX 600w) i wouldnt buy neither.

aqualipt

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

I already read that review and "pure ignorance" is not spending a few bucks more to get a higher quality product, its better to have nothing than having crappy stuff because you will get used to crappy stuff

as a counter example on testing on the corsair gs 600w would be here. It is said that the unit is loud and generates heat, which causes much quicker deterioration of the PSU as a whole. So what about "Higher quality" products have you said, you havent even looked at professional reviews on one of the psus you advised.

aqualipt

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

I see your point, you like bad quality stuff, here you go: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article813-page1.html

Did I ever say that the corsair tx series is bad? No, im defending that the Hive is not a "crappy" unit. Trying to change the argument because its not going your way isnt the way to go. You dont understand how to balance cost to what you need. A 650w psu can already power 2 7850's. OP doesn't plan on overclocking(he said so himself) and is looking at ways to either increase cost to performance ratio(by changing a part to a better part that is relatively same price) or find a better part that is cheaper(hence i mentioned a seasonic fs 15% sale). You come in, tell him to change is PSU, tell him to get a K series cpu(even though he says he wont overclock) and a cpu cooler.

darkcam17

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012

Our thread got taken down :'(

aqualipt

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

You never said that the TX series is bad but you didnt even mentioned it, i mean... it was like if the only suggestion i made was the GS600 but whatever... i see your point, 650w is more than enough for him but it will provide him headroom to overclock (when he change his mind) and the posibilitty to add a second 7850 without having to buy another PSU.

@Why the F dont you want to overclock? i mean, its not necesary but it will give a nice (free) boost in a lot of aplications, and with the proper cooling (212 EVO) is perfectly safe!!

you essentially changed his build to make it cost more without taking anything out on any of the other parts. I mean anybody can make a more expensive build(throw a better gpu, throw a better cpu) but when someone asks for build changes, you should at the least offer price alternatives instead of making a person pay more for every part. If they had more money, they would say something or would have already chose that part already.

aqualipt

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

Fixed!

it still costs more none the less. one can easily pay for more quality performance if they wanted(why didn't you go 80+ gold or 80+ platinum for instance) there is a reason, and that reason is cost.

in a build like this, the major thing that is "worth the money" would be a GPU upgrade. the cpu adds on an additional 30$+cpu cooler price(212+ evo is 30$) for minimal fps gain against the 3450 in a single card build. with 60$, you would see more performance out of a computer using a 7870/7950 then upgrading the other parts.