Is this a solid gaming rig?

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Gaming
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
August 7, 2012 9:22:14 PM

I've posted another thread and they helped me out alot. I am wondering if this is solid. Its pretty much finalized, but if you can offer anything that's equivalent or better for less that would be great thanks! http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dZsZ

More about : solid gaming rig

August 7, 2012 9:30:36 PM

No no... DO NOT ever buy rosewill PSU's

Change the CPU for a i5 3570k

Change the motherboard to Asrock Z77 Extreme 4

PSU: Cosair G600 or TX650 V2

Add a CPU cooler (Coolermaster 212 EVO) for overclocking.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
August 7, 2012 9:41:07 PM

aqualipt said:

for you:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5674/rosewill-hive-550w/1
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Rosewill-HIVE-65...

For OP: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Take advantage of the FS 15% off seasonic sale
m
l
Related resources
August 7, 2012 9:42:30 PM

aqualipt said:

I forgot to add, I will not be over clocking, and if I do it wouldn't overclock it very much, that takes out the cooler as well. I will look at the Asrock. And I will change my psu.
Thanks
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
August 7, 2012 9:44:03 PM

The Rosewill Hive is a great line of psu's, don't listen to the fanboys.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
August 7, 2012 9:49:56 PM

aqualipt said:
To be hones, i couldnt care less what does review says, rosewill have a very bad reputation and most of the people that ask for help in this forum regarding a PC not booting have a Rosewill/raidmax/no-name PSU, i prefer to pay a little bit more to acquarie a product that i know FOR SURE will work.

not all psu companies make their own PSUs. you are following fanboy tactics and thinking all psus from a company are good. If i gave you one one antec high end psu does it mean antec is bad? No it doesn't. when shopping for PSU's the one who looks up professional reviews gets a lot farther than one who goes by brand(most of the people who go by brand don't even know who made the PSU, for instance corsair does not design any of their psus).

rosewill used to have a crappy line of psus, but they are one of the companies who decided to make a change and rehaul all of their products. now just about all of their units are sent in for 80+ certification, and so far the latest model "Fortress" which is 80+ platinum has gotten good reviews already, and has a 7 year warranty.

anyways, he probably picked the hive because i personally use it myself, because he had a 600+w psu and he didnt plan on overclocking and i was using myself as proof that you didnt need a 600+ w psu to handle a 7850
m
l
August 7, 2012 9:54:44 PM

dudewitbow said:
not all psu companies make their own PSUs. you are following fanboy tactics and thinking all psus from a company are good. If i gave you one one antec high end psu does it mean antec is bad? No it doesn't. when shopping for PSU's the one who looks up professional reviews gets a lot farther than one who goes by brand(most of the people who go by brand don't even know who made the PSU, for instance corsair does not design any of their psus).

rosewill used to have a crappy line of psus, but they are one of the companies who decided to make a change and rehaul all of their products. now just about all of their units are sent in for 80+ certification, and so far the latest model "Fortress" which is 80+ platinum has gotten good reviews already, and has a 7 year warranty.

I know that, most psus are manufactured by PC power & cooling and Seasonic...the point i am trying to make is that in general rosewills PSU suck, they have a very high failure ratio.

And as i already said, there is no point in buying a crappy PSU when you buy a higher quality PSU for only a bit more, renember that the PSU is a critical part of a build, its has the power to fry your system.
m
l
August 7, 2012 9:55:08 PM

aqualipt said:

I don't think ill change the mobo mainly b/c it's more and will increase my budget I am already over
m
l
August 7, 2012 9:55:24 PM

dudewitbow said:

I'm gonna go with the one you recommended me b/c it's cheaper and I am on a slight budget. Do you think 520w will power a slight over clock in the future?
m
l
August 7, 2012 9:58:04 PM

geekapproved said:
The Rosewill Hive is a great line of psu's, don't listen to the fanboys.

i am not a fanboy, i just dont like low-quality stuff.

Thats like saying AMD is better than Intel... in what universe is AMD better than Intel??

or that Real Madrid FC is better than FC barcelona because they have won the champions leage more times...that stuff from the past.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
August 7, 2012 9:58:08 PM

aqualipt said:
I know that, most psus are manufactured by PC power & cooling and Seasonic...the point i am trying to make is that in general rosewills PSU suck, they have a very high failure ratio.

And as i already said, there is no point in buying a crappy PSU when you buy a higher quality PSU for only a bit more, renember that the PSU is a critical part of a build, its has the power to fry your system.

Nope, not right again, most psus are generated by companies that dont even sell psus anymore really. for instance, corsair is made from seasonic and cwt(you probably dont even know who that is), and a newer model by flextronic. saying that the psu is crappy especially right after saying that you wont read the review is pure ignorance. A test of brand loyalty would be similar to this question:

If i offered a Rosewill Hive 550w vs a Corsair CX 600w, most people who would go brand loyalty would pick corsair, because they havent learned nothing about the other psu. Other sites like eggxpert would agree that the Hive is a better quality unit than the corsair CX series, and are on different tiers.

@above post, the difference between AMD and intel is huge. Your making an incorrect statment in the PSU world as a whole. 1 company does not generate all of the best psus at all price points. saying that all rosewill products are of "bad quality" is pure ignorance. You wont even take the time to look at a review.
m
l
August 7, 2012 9:59:35 PM

zachmartin1202 said:
I don't think ill change the mobo mainly b/c it's more and will increase my budget I am already over

Well you should... its a great investment, you should also buy the i5 3570k because overclocking will come in handy and the cooler too... and the PSU will guaranteed you a constant quality power delivery.
m
l
August 7, 2012 10:04:25 PM

dudewitbow said:
Nope, not right again, most psus are generated by companies that dont even sell psus anymore really. for instance, corsair is made from seasonic and cwt(you probably dont even know who that is), and a newer model by flextronic. saying that the psu is crappy especially right after saying that you wont read the review is pure ignorance. A test of brand loyalty would be similar to this question:

If i offered a Rosewill Hive 550w vs a Corsair CX 600w, most people who would go brand loyalty would pick corsair, because they havent learned nothing about the other psu. Other sites like eggxpert would agree that the Hive is a better quality unit than the corsair CX series, and are on different tiers.

Oh no... i did read the reviews and overall that model seems to be good, and if i had those two choices you mentioned (Hive 550w and CX 600w) i wouldnt buy neither.
m
l
August 7, 2012 10:04:50 PM

dudewitbow said:
@above post, the difference between AMD and intel is huge. Your making an incorrect statment in the PSU world as a whole. 1 company does not generate all of the best psus at all price points. saying that all rosewill products are of "bad quality" is pure ignorance. You wont even take the time to look at a review.

I already read that review and "pure ignorance" is not spending a few bucks more to get a higher quality product, its better to have nothing than having crappy stuff because you will get used to crappy stuff
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
August 7, 2012 10:07:59 PM

aqualipt said:
Oh no... i did read the reviews and overall that model seems to be good, and if i had those two choices you mentioned (Hive 550w and CX 600w) i wouldnt buy neither.

as a counter example on testing on the corsair gs 600w would be here. It is said that the unit is loud and generates heat, which causes much quicker deterioration of the PSU as a whole. So what about "Higher quality" products have you said, you havent even looked at professional reviews on one of the psus you advised.
m
l
August 7, 2012 10:20:32 PM

dudewitbow said:
as a counter example on testing on the corsair gs 600w would be here. It is said that the unit is loud and generates heat, which causes much quicker deterioration of the PSU as a whole. So what about "Higher quality" products have you said, you havent even looked at professional reviews on one of the psus you advised.

I see your point, you like bad quality stuff, here you go: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article813-page1.html
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
August 7, 2012 10:25:17 PM

aqualipt said:
I see your point, you like bad quality stuff, here you go: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article813-page1.html

Did I ever say that the corsair tx series is bad? No, im defending that the Hive is not a "crappy" unit. Trying to change the argument because its not going your way isnt the way to go. You dont understand how to balance cost to what you need. A 650w psu can already power 2 7850's. OP doesn't plan on overclocking(he said so himself) and is looking at ways to either increase cost to performance ratio(by changing a part to a better part that is relatively same price) or find a better part that is cheaper(hence i mentioned a seasonic fs 15% sale). You come in, tell him to change is PSU, tell him to get a K series cpu(even though he says he wont overclock) and a cpu cooler.
m
l
August 7, 2012 10:29:39 PM

aqualipt said:

Our thread got taken down :'( 
m
l
August 7, 2012 10:32:40 PM

dudewitbow said:
Did I ever say that the corsair tx series is bad? No, im defending that the Hive is not a "crappy" unit. Trying to change the argument because its not going your way isnt the way to go. You dont understand how to balance cost to what you need. A 650w psu can already power 2 7850's. OP doesn't plan on overclocking(he said so himself) and is looking at ways to either increase cost to performance ratio(by changing a part to a better part that is relatively same price) or find a better part that is cheaper(hence i mentioned a seasonic fs 15% sale). You come in, tell him to change is PSU, tell him to get a K series cpu(even though he says he wont overclock) and a cpu cooler.

You never said that the TX series is bad but you didnt even mentioned it, i mean... it was like if the only suggestion i made was the GS600 but whatever... i see your point, 650w is more than enough for him but it will provide him headroom to overclock (when he change his mind) and the posibilitty to add a second 7850 without having to buy another PSU.

@Why the F dont you want to overclock? i mean, its not necesary but it will give a nice (free) boost in a lot of aplications, and with the proper cooling (212 EVO) is perfectly safe!!
m
l
August 7, 2012 10:32:43 PM

darkcam17 said:
Our thread got taken down :'( 

lol, it did...but i dont think you should hijack this thread, what do you say if we talk about what we were talking yesterday via PMs? :D 
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
August 7, 2012 10:33:18 PM

aqualipt said:
You never said that the TX series is bad but you didnt even mentioned it, i mean... it was like if the only suggestion i made was the GS600 but whatever... i see your point, 650w is more than enough for him but it will provide him headroom to overclock (when he change his mind) and the posibilitty to add a second 7850 without having to buy another PSU.

@Why the F dont you want to overclock? i mean, its not necesary but it will give a nice (free) boost in a lot of aplications, and with the proper cooling (212 EVO) is perfectly safe!!

you essentially changed his build to make it cost more without taking anything out on any of the other parts. I mean anybody can make a more expensive build(throw a better gpu, throw a better cpu) but when someone asks for build changes, you should at the least offer price alternatives instead of making a person pay more for every part. If they had more money, they would say something or would have already chose that part already.
m
l
August 7, 2012 10:40:23 PM

dudewitbow said:
you essentially changed his build to make it peform better without taking anything out on any of the other parts. I mean anybody can make a more expensive build(throw a better gpu, throw a better cpu) but when someone asks for build changes, you should at the least offer price alternatives instead of making a person pay more for quality products that are definetly worth the extra money. If they had more money, they would say something or would have already chose that part already. <--- or they simply think they are spending a bit too much on a computer.

Fixed!
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
August 7, 2012 10:41:58 PM

aqualipt said:
Fixed!

it still costs more none the less. one can easily pay for more quality performance if they wanted(why didn't you go 80+ gold or 80+ platinum for instance) there is a reason, and that reason is cost.

in a build like this, the major thing that is "worth the money" would be a GPU upgrade. the cpu adds on an additional 30$+cpu cooler price(212+ evo is 30$) for minimal fps gain against the 3450 in a single card build. with 60$, you would see more performance out of a computer using a 7870/7950 then upgrading the other parts.
m
l
August 7, 2012 10:49:07 PM

dudewitbow said:
in a build like this, the major thing that is "worth the money" would be a GPU upgrade. the cpu adds on an additional 30$+cpu cooler price(212+ evo is 30$) for minimal fps gain against the 3450 in a single card build. with 60$, you would see more performance out of a computer using a 7870/7950 then upgrading the other parts.

I like how you think, and if the main usage of this PC is gaming then you are partially right, renember that overclocking boost gaming performance too
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
August 7, 2012 10:54:14 PM

aqualipt said:
I like how you think, and if the main usage of this PC is gaming then you are partially right, renember that overclocking boost gaming performance too

the boost in performance is still very minimal and is only relevant when you reach the point where the cpu is about to be bottlenecked, and at this area, isnt the area of bottlenecks. Its only more relevant when you get into systems involving Crossfire or making the jump from dual to quad in games. when it comes to performance, the architecture runs more supreme and dictates most of the performance gain rather than the clock.

an old example of cpu scaling in BF3 single player

the performance jump is seen most in multiplayer once you get the quad core.(in this case, OP has i5-3450) after getting it, overclocking generally increases overall performance on other parts of the computer more than the actual game itself.
m
l

Best solution

August 7, 2012 11:11:55 PM

aqualipt said:

Right, but remember the OP doesn't want to overclock. And no, it's not a "free" boost either: you have to pay for the unlocked multiplier ($20), an aftermarket cooler ($30 min), a motherboard that supports it ($10 more min for one with a good phase regulator), and then you have to spend the time (lots of hours) into getting all the settings right and ensuring that it's stable.

That's quite an investment for something that will only really shine in synthetic and productivity applications.

@OP: Your build is great, and will perform very well. The only suggestions I have are backing the M12II that you already decided upon, and perhaps trawling through the combo lists on Newegg to see if you can get a better deal on the parts you're looking at. For example, you can get your CPU + mobo in a combo on Newegg for $9 less: right here, brother.
August 7, 2012 11:22:47 PM

mousseng said:
Right, but remember the OP doesn't want to overclock. And no, it's not a "free" boost either: you have to pay for the unlocked multiplier ($20), an aftermarket cooler ($30 min), a motherboard that supports it ($10 more min for one with a good phase regulator), and then you have to spend the time (lots of hours) into getting all the settings right and ensuring that it's stable.

That's quite an investment for something that will only really shine in synthetic and productivity applications.

@OP: Your build is great, and will perform very well. The only suggestions I have are backing the M12II that you already decided upon, and perhaps trawling through the combo lists on Newegg to see if you can get a better deal on the parts you're looking at. For example, you can get your CPU + mobo in a combo on Newegg for $9 less: right here, brother.

Thank you very much your message was much more straight and to the point than all the others. If I may, what do you mean to back the m12?
m
l
August 7, 2012 11:31:53 PM

zachmartin1202 said:
Thank you very much your message was much more straight and to the point than all the others. If I may, what do you mean to back the m12?

All I mean is that I'd suggest the M12II as well. It's a great deal even at $60, so with that promo code you can't really beat its balance of quality, efficiency, and affordability.
m
l
August 7, 2012 11:37:30 PM

Best answer selected by Zachmartin1202.
m
l
August 7, 2012 11:38:10 PM

mousseng said:
All I mean is that I'd suggest the M12II as well. It's a great deal even at $60, so with that promo code you can't really beat its balance of quality, efficiency, and affordability.

Thanks for the help!
m
l
August 8, 2012 4:59:39 AM

aqualipt said:
lol, it did...but i dont think you should hijack this thread, what do you say if we talk about what we were talking yesterday via PMs? :D 

Isre a way to pm on this?
m
l