professionalN00B

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
Hey guys, i need some help with my build this is my first build ever and i want to make sure every thing is compatible.

Price range, no more then $1300-1400

what i'll be using it for, playing games such as bf3, arma2, arma3(when it releases) skyrim, gta and similar games.

here is my parts i picked so far please let me know in every thing is compatible.

1) Intel Core i5 3570K Processor 3.4 Ghz 4 cores BX80637I53570K
2)ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
3)EVGA 02G-P3-1568-KR GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
4)CORSAIR Professional Series HX750 (CMPSU-750HX) 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
5)G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
6)Corsair Obsidian Series 650D (CC650DW-1) Black Steel structure with black brushed aluminum faceplate ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
7)SUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS

I also had a few questions.

1) is it worth overclocking? if so how hard is it? and would you recommend if for my build?

thanks for all the help guys.

also sorry for not posting links.

Solution
1) is it worth overclocking? if so how hard is it? and would you recommend if for my build?

That depends on how much you want to get out of your build. Overclocking is fairly simple math - it's you set your multiplier to one level, your voltage to another, and your BCLK level to another and that's pretty much it.

That build is OK - everything is compatible but you're spending too much in some areas (case) and not enough in the most important areas (GPU).

Try something like this for $1300:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9B SE2 37.9 CFM CPU Cooler...

g-unit1111

Titan

That depends on how much you want to get out of your build. Overclocking is fairly simple math - it's you set your multiplier to one level, your voltage to another, and your BCLK level to another and that's pretty much it.

That build is OK - everything is compatible but you're spending too much in some areas (case) and not enough in the most important areas (GPU).

Try something like this for $1300:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9B SE2 37.9 CFM CPU Cooler ($62.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($188.49 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($43.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($407.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 500R White ATX Mid Tower Case ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($22.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1376.38
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-07 18:08 EDT-0400)

Solution

professionalN00B

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012

thanks for the help i might just go with this build but change the psu and case the only reason went with my case is cause of it's pure sexyness :)

Hell decent motherboards have onboard support for 7.1 these days. I'd say as a general rule unless you have speakers that cost more than $150, I wouldn't bother, and even then its debatable.

i can pretty much tell the difference between onboard sound and discrete sound in most situations. gigabyte boards have a slightly better sound solution than generic boards. asus also has great sound given that they make that stuff themselves and are very good at it.

i base this on my opinion and the fact that i can detect this with the shotty apple earbuds

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah I can definitely see that. The speakers I use are the Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 and they sound great with the onboard audio - and I watch a lot of movies on my computer in addition to playing games.

thanks for the help i might just go with this build but change the psu and case the only reason went with my case is cause of it's pure sexyness :)

The case is a bit of personal preference - I like Corsair cases (own one and frequently recommend them) - but even I feel that the Obsidian is a bit overkill, that's why I recommended the 500R. I also have the 950W version of the PSU I recommended and it's a great supply for the price.

I must be the exception to the rule, I don't really love it, I'm more scratching my head on it than anything. Although, I have a dastardly idea of taking 2 of them and making them into a different variation of a Borg Cube. I wonder what the exact dimensions of it is.

Your build isn't balanced. Like the poster g-unit pointed out you have too much money sunk into that case and psu and you ended up shorting yourself in the graphics department. When your case cost nearly as much as your gpu for a gaming build with a $1,400 budget then your defeating the purpose of a gaming build. What your going to end up with is something that's all show and no go...kind of like putting a VW Beetle engine in the body of a Ferrari. Nice to look at but nothing that's going to get it done.

The entire idea behind a gaming build is Frames Per Second.

I'm guessing this is a US build and not Canadian or Aussie...they use dollars also. If so look at newegg for combo's and also look at Amazon. With your budget you should have nothing less than a gtx 670, gtx 660 ti, 7950 or 7870 along with a 120GB - 128GB SSD. Anything less than that with a $1,400 budget is a crime.

Corsair TX750 combo's with a lot of quality Corsair cases. Also look at the Corsair Carbide 500R and 400R. Both offer great cooling and airflow at an affordable price. Check out their combo's on newegg and also look for them at Amazon seeing how most of the time Amazon beats neweggs prices on those two mentioned cases by a decent amount of money.

TRENDING THREADS