Monitor seems to be 'working' but I suddenly have no picture

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Okay, so I was just looking through links on Living Social to see if there were any deals I wanted to take advantage of. After clicking on one of the links, my monitor immediately lost picture. I checked the power brick first (but of course the monitor was still powered up) and then checked the gpu's but the fans were running find and there weren't any heat issues. I powered down and back up a few times and unplugged and replugged most of the connections just to be sure. I finally realized that the picture wasn't working at all on the monitor itself because there is a sort of built in screen saver that runs even when the pc isn't connected and I can hear the sound that goes with it, but still no picture.

Any ideas here? It's a 30" monitor and I have the dual gpu's so that I can run at 2560x1600 when I game. Gateway has the worst tech support in the business I have found and I can't even talk to anyone for help with an out of date warranty. I can't afford a new 30" monitor and I really don't know what else to try off the top of my head. Any ideas or did something brick out of nowhere?

Thanks.

knightdog56

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2008
You may have had a video card go bad on you, remove the second video card and try it with just one installed in the # 1 PCIexpress slot, if that fails then remove the video card and try that one in the first PCIexpress slot. Also what is the make and model of you power supply?

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I think I'm back to okay after letting it rest for a day. ??? I guess I should put it through it's paces to make sure it keeps plugging away at 2560x1600 while gaming, so maybe I'll have to do that after Christmas. It's a 1000W Zalman psu.

knightdog56

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2008
Your power supply has some issues with it according to tech power up. Don't know what you are using for video cards, but I would strongly suggest getting a better quality power supply. This one should power your system SeaSonic X Series X-850 (SS-850KM Active PFC F3) 850W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply