Replace HP Power Supply

Hello, I have an HP Computer with an MSI 7778 Motherboard. 24 pin slot, separate 4 pin pwr slot up by CPU.

I am trying to replace the power supply with a Logisys PS550E12 that has a 20 pin plug that has the 4 pin that can attach to the side.

I attached everything-I tried the plug with all 24 pins. It powers up, fans spin. But no beeps, no video.

I tried plugging in the 20 pin portion and plugging the 4 pin into the 4 pin socket nothing.

Where am I going wrong?
2 answers Last reply
More about replace power supply
  1. myrtdog said:
    Hello, I have an HP Computer with an MSI 7778 Motherboard. 24 pin slot, separate 4 pin pwr slot up by CPU.

I am trying to replace the power supply with a Logisys PS550E12 that has a 20 pin plug that has the 4 pin that can attach to the side.

I attached everything-I tried the plug with all 24 pins. It powers up, fans spin. But no beeps, no video.

I tried plugging in the 20 pin portion and plugging the 4 pin into the 4 pin socket nothing.

Where am I going wrong?

Did you also plug the separate 4pin (not 4 on the side of the 20) cpu
    power plug in? There should be a 4 pin socket close to the cpu, it
    has to be plugged in as well, it powers the cpu. The 20 or 20+4
    pin powers the rest of the motherboard.
  2. the 20+4 pin main cable should be all plugged into the 24 pin main connector while a sepearate 4+4 (or just 4 pin) CPU cable is to go to the 4 pin connector for the CPU

shouldnt have gotten a crap unit in the first place as well
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Hewlett Packard Components