Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Is this a decent pc for under 2000$

Last response: in Systems
Share
August 7, 2012 10:59:50 PM

Hello,

i am not very intelligent when it comes to computer hardware. is this build good for editing video and gaming? is everything compatible and is there somewhere that i can save money. i need to keep this under 2000$.

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($291.99 @ SuperBiiz)

CPU Cooler: Antec Kuhler H2O 620 Liquid CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Newegg)

Motherboard: Asus P8P67 WS Revolution (REV 3.0) ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($188.49 @ Newegg)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($99.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.99 @ Newegg)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2GB Video Card ($519.99 @ Amazon)

Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 800D ATX Full Tower Case ($244.96 @ Amazon)

Power Supply: Thermaltake 775W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($139.99 @ Amazon)

Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS424-98 DVD/CD Writer ($23.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Monitor: Acer G235HAbd 23.0" Monitor ($139.99 @ Newegg)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) ($130.20 @ Amazon)

Total: $1939.57

More about : decent 2000

August 8, 2012 12:23:31 AM

I would say you could do better for cheaper.. OR at the very least, same for cheaper:

Heres a couple things.

If its a non-K i7-2600. It can't be overclocked, which eliminates the point of having an aftermarket CPU cooler. Even if it is a K model, watercooling is potentially dangerous and not really necessary for good overclocks. One should really know what they're getting into before going watercooled. You could spend $30 on a decent air cooler like a CoolerMaster 212 Evo and get solid overclocks.

----
Video card. Simply put, GTX 670s cost $100 less than 680s and perform almost identically. If you are spending the money for a 680, for cheaper still you could get a 7970 GHz edition which outperforms both of them:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Benchmarks to back it up:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6025/radeon-hd-7970-ghz-e...
---
Power supply. Thermaltake is meh, for PSUs. I think you could do better, again for cheaper. '
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
Related resources
August 8, 2012 12:30:39 AM

will correct it again :)  . You can overclock non-k chips, but just +4bins.

All of you K buyers who have overclocked only +4 (or less) are the real ones who have wasted your money.

Cheers to nekulturny.

But will agree that if you are going non-k, you can use the 212evo and save there as well and still get your 400mhz overclock.
You probably could get by with stock even with the available +4 overclock, but evo will be much quieter.


Any build with this pricetag should be considering an SSD.
Your case looks expensive, but cases are a personal preference; but I am surprised you would pick an expensive case, but then no SSD nor a more expensive monitor
m
0
l
August 8, 2012 12:34:27 AM

i was thinking about changing the mobo to the ASUS P8Z68-V PRO Motherboard.

so do you suggest i do get the i7-2600k and get a CoolerMaster 212 Evo.
m
0
l
August 8, 2012 12:34:32 AM

If you're just talking about pushing up the TurboBoost, hell you could probably get away with that on the stock HSF.
m
0
l
August 8, 2012 12:37:08 AM

TheTerrorizer- said:
i was thinking about changing the mobo to the ASUS P8Z68-V PRO Motherboard.

so do you suggest i do get the i7-2600k and get a CoolerMaster 212 Evo.

I do think that mobo is a little pricey for an older chipset (P67), but more pressingly the video card. Honestly GTX 680s ought to be withdrawn from production at this point considering how stupid expensive it is and the performance you get from it over the 670.

As far as getting the 2600K. Depends, for gaming overclocking is nice and all, but theres no game an you'll have trouble playing at stock speeds. Maybe if you want to see big FPS in Fraps while playing it might be worth it, but in terms of actual playing experience anything over 60FPS doesn't matter at any resolution. I would probably still get an overclockable CPU just to keep my options open though.
m
0
l
August 8, 2012 12:40:54 AM

nekulturny said:
I do think that mobo is a little pricey for an older chipset (P67), but more pressingly the video card. Honestly GTX 680s ought to be withdrawn from production at this point considering how stupid expensive it is and the performance you get from it over the 670.

As far as getting the 2600K. Depends, for gaming overclocking is nice and all, but theres no game an you'll have trouble playing at stock speeds. Maybe if you want to see big FPS in Fraps while playing it might be worth it, but in terms of actual playing experience anything over 60FPS doesn't matter at any resolution. I would probably still get an overclockable CPU just to keep my options open though.



ya i compared the 680 and the 670 and they are very similar. i will be getting the 670. do games run different on a ssd compared to a hdd. in other words what is the benefit of an ssd for my uses(gaming and video editing)
m
0
l
August 8, 2012 12:41:06 AM

this whole separation of Turbo vs stock speeds is a bad analogy.
It's not some kind of different cpu that runs on 2 engine components..
It's 1 clock speed that the cpu runs at.

There is too much misinformation that only k-processors can be overclocked, and non-k processors cannot be overclocked.

They work the same way, just that k processors can only be increased by 4, whereas non-k can be increased up to like 64 or some number so high that you can't really reach it.

Too many people are getting recommended into buying a k-processor, because of this imprecise information. If they had accurate info, they could have done their builds with the non-k processor as well.

I wonder what would be the result in a poll of people who bought a k processor, thinking it was the only way to get some oc, and then proceeded to only make the changes of multiplier to +4 or less. And how many actually took full use of the k.

The point about the stock HSF I completely agree with you on; but the evo will be quieter if noise is a factor.
m
0
l
August 8, 2012 12:43:27 AM

The benefit of an SSD is faster load times. Windows will boot up faster, programs will load faster, in gaming the impact will be when games load or change levels that it will be faster. An SSD won't increase FPS rates or anything like that however.

My suggestion would be to not consider an SSD unless you're prepared to buy a minimum of 128GB, and honestly, I'd consider higher than that at this point. The reason being, between Windows 7 and NTFS formatting you lose 20GB of space on say a 64GB SSD. And a single game nowadays can easily take 10GB+ for just one.
m
0
l
August 8, 2012 12:47:26 AM

raytseng said:
this whole separation of Turbo vs stock speeds is a bad analogy.
It's not some kind of different cpu that runs on 2 engine components..
It's 1 clock speed that the cpu runs at.

There is too much misinformation that only k-processors can be overclocked, and non-k processors cannot be overclocked.


Too many people are getting recommended into buying a k-processor, because of this imprecise information. If they had accurate info, they could have done their builds with the non-k processor as well.


You might want to have a talk with our resident Intel employee Christian Woods aka IntelEnthusiast. Because he says you can't overclock them all the time. I know i'll probably get yelled at by Area51 for saying so, but I really don't like the fellow. Reading his posts is like an end-run against my ad blocking software. The guy even uses the Trademark and registered symbols in his posts lol.

Buy an Intel® i7-2600K™ Today!
m
0
l
August 8, 2012 12:48:11 AM

nekulturny said:
The benefit of an SSD is faster load times. Windows will boot up faster, programs will load faster, in gaming the impact will be when games load or change levels that it will be faster. An SSD won't increase FPS rates or anything like that however.

My suggestion would be to not consider an SSD unless you're prepared to buy a minimum of 128GB, and honestly, I'd consider higher than that at this point. The reason being, between Windows 7 and NTFS formatting you lose 20GB of space on say a 64GB SSD. And a single game nowadays can easily take 10GB+ for just one.


ok, thank you for helping me. one last question. will the i7-2600k run with the 750watt power supply or do i need more?
i will use the corsair one you suggested if it is enough. i have heard from some people that you need atleast 800watts to run the i7
m
0
l

Best solution

August 8, 2012 12:51:26 AM

You're welcome. 750 watts is sufficient, not only for a single i7 overclocked but not one but 2 GTX 670s in SLi would run happily on a Corsair TX750v2.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_6...
Share
August 8, 2012 12:52:13 AM

Best answer selected by TheTerrorizer-.
m
0
l
August 8, 2012 2:17:38 AM

nekulturny said:
You're welcome. 750 watts is sufficient, not only for a single i7 overclocked but not one but 2 GTX 670s in SLi would run happily on a Corsair TX750v2.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_6...



i was just doing some more research. (shelling out $1700 is alot for a computer) and is it worth to get the corsair obsidian 800D or can i save $100 by going with the corsair 650D?

with the setup i am using posted below would i notice any difference with the 650D?



CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V PRO ATX LGA1155 Motherboard

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card

Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 800D ATX Full Tower Case

Power Supply: Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply

Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS424-98 DVD/CD Writer

Monitor: Acer G235HAbd 23.0" Monitor

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1
Total: $1705.11
m
0
l
August 8, 2012 2:54:17 AM

I'm of the opinion that cases are a very personal thing, and you should buy something you're happy with no matter what it costs (and as long as it doesn't cut into performance parts like video card and CPU). But what you have budged out is pretty much as high performing as you can get with a single video card gaming rig, so budget isn't a concern.

Corsair makes nothing but good cases, so you're fine there in terms of quality. I say get what looks the best to you. But in terms of performance, its kinda hard to screw up a computer case in terms of airflow. Quality-wise, they're both great.
m
0
l
August 8, 2012 3:07:17 AM

nekulturny said:
You might want to have a talk with our resident Intel employee Christian Woods aka IntelEnthusiast. Because he says you can't overclock them all the time. I know i'll probably get yelled at by Area51 for saying so, but I really don't like the fellow. Reading his posts is like an end-run against my ad blocking software. The guy even uses the Trademark and registered symbols in his posts lol.

Buy an Intel® i7-2600K™ Today!


google "intel limited unlock" and you get articles like this, as well as a hundred forum posts that explain it.


http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-rev...


People like him who spread misinformation is just plain wrong.

If he is spreading such misinformation, it seems to show he's a summer intern or community marketing rep who hasn't done his homework.
m
0
l
August 8, 2012 3:11:21 AM

LOL, I would LOVE to see you tell him that. Really, I would.
m
0
l
August 8, 2012 3:16:50 AM

Well if he speaks up and says something wrong, I'll be first to call him out on it. Forums are a vicious place.

Besides, engineers don't post to forums under their own name. They don't have people skills.
They need community reps to take the specifications from the customers to the engineers. and to deal with the customers so the engineers don't have to
m
0
l
August 8, 2012 3:18:43 AM

lol, we actually do have at least one engineer on the forum. I agree with you, they really don't have people skills often. The one guy I'm thinking of, who I won't mention by name, my god, he has almost no sense of humor, completely holier than thou if you dare to disagree with him. If not for marketing reps, we'd still be using an abacus to do calculations.
m
0
l
!