Desktop for Programming

ERDTdiver

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
How's it goin' guys? I'm looking for a tower to use strictly for computer/software programming (Using C++, Etc) and web programming (PHP, Java, JavaScript, Etc). I won't be doing gaming, I won't be listening to music, nothing else. Only programming and surfing the web. I'd love a computer that would be super fast at compiling the data. I'm looking to spend only around $800. I'll be using a 27" Full 1080p Vizio HDTV as the monitor. Could anyone tell me what I should be looking at in terms of basic components (Processor, RAM, Etc)? Thanks in advance for the help guys.

Approximate Purchase Date: Anytime
Budget Range: $800-$900

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Web Programming, Software Programming, Surfing Web

Are you buying a monitor: No

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: None

Parts Preferences: None

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: Vizio 27" 1080p Full HDTV (for now)

ERDTdiver

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
How would I determine how many threads the task uses? I know that sounds like a stupid question but I'd be saving $120 between the i5 and i7. I'll be running virtual machines and programming in PHP, Java, and JavaScript simultaneously. Do you think I should go with the i7?

Also, a BIG question, would a server CPU like a Xeon and Opteron and server memory be better than regular processors and memory?

raytseng

Honorable
May 15, 2012
no, the server stuff is more to avoid any downtime or any errors, save money with desktop gear.

If one calculation borks on you perhaps once a month, that's not the end of your world, just restart.

But if that happens to be production and someone's bank account transfer, your company is in trouble.

if you're running vms, get moar cpu, go for the i7.

The actually programming language you're doing doesn't really say much as compared to what you are programming for. If like you're programing webapplications and are simulating a clustered server/client environment, then that is a bigger topology to simulate.

If you are programming for mobile devices and just need to emulate an iphone, that's pretty basic

a quad core is more of the way to go but if you are not doing tasks that require tons of CPU power, a i3 2120 is enough. server memory is very expensive. just get the regular stuff. i have yet to hear someone who had a system fail because of a memory error

TRENDING THREADS