Sign in with
Your question

Dedicated power supply for fans

Last response: in Components
December 23, 2012 6:50:51 AM

Hello, im in search of a small psu thats basically dedicated to run just fans. Im trying to make a good power cooler for my laptop during gaming sessions. i dont have an extreme pc or anything but my laptop does run toasty at times. it would be cool to find a small cheap psu so i could make my own lap cooler. ive already got a decent basket thing that the fans and such would fit in. I have looked on newegg and all i seem to find are small itx looking psu's that only have one dedicated fan spot. im thinking about buying 3 fans (2 small and 1 big) and arranging them to help the airflow of my laptop. i can post pics of my idea so far and what im currently using, im just stuck on the powering of the fans part. i could run to best buy and buy the three fans but all psu stuff i see are meant for pcs and have fans on them and such. im looking for something small that wont need a fan.
December 23, 2012 6:55:30 AM

You just need a small wall power adapter, you can get basic 12v DC ones reasonably cheap
December 23, 2012 7:15:40 AM

If you get a standard 12v charger - I used one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-POWER-SOCKET-12V-VOLT-CCTV... ( Make sure you get the right size ) and then bought a fan extensions connector and stripped the connector off the one end and wired it in. This meant I didn't have to do anything to the fan itself.
Related resources
December 23, 2012 7:21:29 AM

My current setup for gaming:

The image below is the cork board thats been wrapped in white duct tape. I had lots of cardboard and fiqured it was easy to make the cut out of anything i want. cork is for the looks.

The basket i found in my backyard. its the perfect size, still fits in my lap but its big enough that i can sit anywhere and not worry about my laptop airflow. it sets on my bed all the time.

The air cooler thing you see in their right now just sucks. the fans are slow, its really not in the right spot for cooling either. I guess if my ram was hot it wouldnt hurt but its not in a good location at all.

Obviously im going to alter the cardboard once i get a psu in their. Im probably going to put it on top right above the mouse. This is why i kinda need a small psu, becuase i dont have a crazy amount of room for it. I think three fans will do, not sure how much power that is. Any more help with this would be cool as well if you have any ideas.
December 23, 2012 7:28:41 AM

nigelren said:
If you get a standard 12v charger - I used one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-POWER-SOCKET-12V-VOLT-CCTV... ( Make sure you get the right size ) and then bought a fan extensions connector and stripped the connector off the one end and wired it in. This meant I didn't have to do anything to the fan itself.

Are pc fans 12v? Will i be able to wire in three to one of these? i havent picked out the fans yet, so im sorry im not more specific.

maybe something like 2 of these: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Antec+-+TriCool+80mm+LED+CP...

and one of these:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Antec+-+TriCool+120mm+Case+...
a b ) Power supply
a b D Laptop
December 23, 2012 7:49:52 AM

That seems kind of unnecessary. A standard laptop cooler running off USB should be plenty. All you need to be doing is feeding air to the laptops fans. If its running hot probably needs cleaned. Pointing a bunch.of fans at the bottom won't do much
December 23, 2012 8:03:43 AM

unksol said:
That seems kind of unnecessary. A standard laptop cooler running off USB should be plenty. All you need to be doing is feeding air to the laptops fans. If its running hot probably needs cleaned. Pointing a bunch.of fans at the bottom won't do much

I disagree. I plugged my laptop into my tv, flipped it upside down and pointed an average house fan at the pc and while stress testing some new ram. while the stress test was going i did a random test on my cpu to just to see how hot it ran. the temp after 10min of cpu stress got up to 90 degress (more like leveled off at 89 but got to 90) . with that house fan i got a max of 75 after 10 min of stressing. So yea, pointing a fan a the bottom of the pc helps. what i plan on doing is tilting a small fan to blow at the exhast harder then the laptop fan so the heated air moves farther away from the pc while also having another small fan blow into the intake hard which would hopefuly improve temps. the big fan would be the blind just pointing a fan at it. although i might make the big fan suck away, idk. Im still deciding, but i am not happy at all with this laptop cooler that uses a usb currently. Maybe a 12v using all of usb 3.0 but not a 2.0.
December 23, 2012 11:04:50 AM

So just to check here, because i just tried an old plug that was 12v and it worked. I would like to know how many fans can i run off of one of those. The one i found was an 12v 1.3a. Does the A in 1.3 determine how many i can run in conjunction? the tiny fan i tried was 0.07a so it wasnt much. i really dont know much about power stuff so any info you can give me the better.
December 23, 2012 12:38:28 PM

The 1.3a is a 1.3 amp power supply - which if your fans are 0.07 amps means you can run quite a few off it. I have a 1amp adaptor and run 2 fractal design 120mm fans easily off it.

( If you want to know in watts IIRC -
P= I x V, which is power = current x voltage, which is 1.3 x 12, which is about 15watts.
the fractal design fans are: 0.72 W +/- 15% )
!