Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

~$1000 NON-gaming build

Last response: in Systems
Share
August 8, 2012 12:34:37 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: Once the midrange Keplers are released.

Budget Range: About $1000, don't want to go over but might be able to squeeze a few more dollars in Before Rebates; After Shipping

System Usage from Most to Least Important: schoolwork, rather demanding apps for 5-6 years in future, casual gaming (flash and Dolphin :kaola:  )

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Parts to Upgrade: Everything except for HDDs

Do you need to buy OS: Yes, thinking of using the Release Preview and buying the $40 upgrade after release (can you do this?)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, NCIX, TigerDirect, etc.

Location: Canada

Parts Preferences: Intel

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Probably not

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Why Are You Upgrading: My desktop is too old and my laptop is too hot.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($224.99 @ Newegg Canada)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 612 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($44.98 @ NCIX)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: Samsung 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Mushkin Chronos Deluxe MX 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($109.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 ATX Full Tower Case ($88.88 @ Canada Computers)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.93 @ DirectCanada)
Total: $682.75
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-07 20:32 EDT-0400)
I still need a monitor, mouse/kb, PSU, and video card (will probably use the 660 non-ti).

More about : 1000 gaming build

August 8, 2012 1:05:09 AM

Hello buddy, 1000$ is a really large budget for a non gaming PC, i hardly doubt you will ever need a i5 3500k for the stuff you will be doing, a nice HTPC will be much better for you, here you go:

CPU: Intel Core i3-2120 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($119.00 @ Mac Connection)
Motherboard: ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: AMD Performance Edition 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($53.24 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7770 1GB Video Card ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.98 @ Outlet PC)
Power Supply: Antec 500W ATX12V Power Supply ($45.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Monitor: Asus VH238H 23.0" Monitor ($154.98 @ NCIX US)
Keyboard: Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($47.52 @ B&H)
Mouse: Logitech M510 Wireless Laser Mouse ($31.99 @ B&H)
Total: $692.68

Btw....check your messages!
m
0
l
August 8, 2012 1:15:07 AM

aqualipt said:
Hello buddy, 1000$ is a really large budget for a non gaming PC, i hardly doubt you will ever need a i5 3500k for the stuff you will be doing, a nice HTPC will be much better for you, here you go:

CPU: Intel Core i3-2120 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($119.00 @ Mac Connection)
Motherboard: ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: AMD Performance Edition 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($53.24 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7770 1GB Video Card ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.98 @ Outlet PC)
Power Supply: Antec 500W ATX12V Power Supply ($45.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Monitor: Asus VH238H 23.0" Monitor ($154.98 @ NCIX US)
Keyboard: Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($47.52 @ B&H)
Mouse: Logitech M510 Wireless Laser Mouse ($31.99 @ B&H)
Total: $692.68

Btw....check your messages!
look at OP post Overclocking: Yes NON-gaming build you recommended a SIDEWINDER X4 Wired Gaming Keyboard you suggested him to change his case from Cooler Master HAF 932 ATX Full Tower Case to a NZXT Source 210 Elite you suggest for him to change his mobo and cpu to what's going on here you suggest him to switch to memory that 1.65v that would void his cpu warranty ? :pt1cable:  :lol: 
m
0
l
Related resources
August 8, 2012 1:24:38 AM

OP your build is fine DO NOT change it!!
m
0
l
August 8, 2012 1:36:48 AM

bigcyco1 said:
look at OP post Overclocking: Yes NON-gaming build you recommended a SIDEWINDER X4 Wired Gaming Keyboard you suggested him to change his case from Cooler Master HAF 932 ATX Full Tower Case to a NZXT Source 210 Elite you suggest for him to change his mobo and cpu to what's going on here you suggest him to switch to memory that 1.65v that would void his cpu warranty ? :pt1cable:  :lol: 


*Not because you have a gaming keyboard you have to use it for games, its always better to have a confortable and good looking keyboard

*For a Non-gaming PC a HAF 932 is simply too big, the NZXT 210 is perfect mid size case and it will fit everything the op wants

*I did not see the 1.65v rating that memory kit has, sorry about that, here is a better memory kit ---> http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=57953&vpn=F3-12800CL9D...
m
0
l
August 8, 2012 1:44:06 AM

bigcyco1 said:
OP your build is fine DO NOT change it!!


[sarcasm]OMG you are totally right, his build is awesome a i5 3570k is perfect for a non gaming PC! [/sarcasm]
m
0
l
August 8, 2012 1:45:07 AM

aqualipt said:
*Not because you have a gaming keyboard you have to use it for games, its always better to have a confortable and good looking keyboard

*For a Non-gaming PC a HAF 932 is simply too big, the NZXT 210 is perfect mid size case and it will fit everything the op wants

*I did not see the 1.65v rating that memory kit has, sorry about that, here is a better memory kit ---> http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=57953&vpn=F3-12800CL9D...
What about your cpu and mobo switch he wants to OC :??:  :pfff:  stop giving bad advice please...
m
0
l
August 8, 2012 1:55:46 AM

bigcyco1 said:
What about your cpu and mobo switch he wants to OC :??:  :pfff:  stop giving bad advice please...


What are you talking about? that CPU is fine, its more than enough for the OP and what is wortng with that motherboard??
m
0
l
August 8, 2012 2:10:08 AM

aqualipt said:
What are you talking about? that CPU is fine, its more than enough for the OP and what is wortng with that motherboard??
He wants overclocking he wants to use for rather demanding apps for 5-6 years in future,now there no way to say what the future holds but i am sure a i5-3570k will be more relevant than the i3 will be in the long run and even worse if he would of took your advice before i found your ram mistake he would have void his cpu warranty which isn't cool you need to know what your doing and talking about before recommending people builds mate i am not trying to pick on you just letting you know i hope you understand.
m
0
l
August 10, 2012 3:48:03 AM

Thanks for all of the replies!
Quote:
*For a Non-gaming PC a HAF 932 is simply too big, the NZXT 210 is perfect mid size case and it will fit everything the op wants

The HAF 932 seemed like a good deal for $88.88, maybe I should get a HAF 912 instead for ~$50?
The Samsung RAM has CAS 11 but it seems like a good overclocker, is it a good choice?
Any recommendations for what I should get for a PSU/monitor/kb/mouse?
m
0
l
!