New Gaming Rig / boot problems

rleopold

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
System specs :

Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-E 3.6GHz LGA 2011 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80619i73820

CORSAIR CWCH60 Hydro Series H60 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

ASUS Sabertooth X79 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL -------- this is x2 .. running 8 chips for 32gb

EVGA 02G-P4-2678-KR GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Corsair Force Series 3 CSSD-F240GB3A-BK 2.5" 240GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

LG Black 10X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal 12X Internal Blu-ray Drive 3D Playback & M-DISC Support Model UH12LS29 LightScribe Support

CORSAIR Professional Series HX850 (CMPSU-850HX) 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0, Black Interior and Four Fans-1x 230mm front RED LED fan, 1x 140mm rear fan, 1x 230mm top fan, and 1x 230mm side fan

The build went fine. Installed Windows 7 Ultimate. When I first start the pc I get Windows could not start error. It then gives me the options of Launch Startup Repair or Start Windows Normal.
If I select Startup repair, it repeats the same error. If i pick Start Windows Normal, I get an error stating: BOOTMGR is Missing - press CTRL ALT DEL to restart. After 2 or 3 restarts from this error I can pick Start Windows Normal and window boots fine. I have absolutely no trouble with the system once it boots.

Im at a loss, this is a first for me with this high end of a MB, CPU,Video and first SSD. I'm guessing there is a setting or something that I missed. Any suggestions on what to look for would be great.

Solution
Connect SSD to SATA 0. Do not connect HD.

Install Windows and run Windows update repeatedly till it doesn't fix anything.

Install all ya MoBo drivers.

Install the HD to SATA 1.....make sure Boot order is SSD 1st, HD 2nd. Delete the Windows install on the HD, better yet, format it.

My guess is that the install process was detecting a Windows install on the old HD

aqualipt

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
Thats what you get for using a i7 3820 on a X79 plataform instead of a i7 3930k, just kidding :D

ok, first anwser a few questions:

*did you downloaded any program that might have caused problems in your PC

*did you visit a site that was marked as "not safe"

*Are the sata ports properly connected to your hard-drives and motherboard (this is more common than what you think)

*Are you trying to boot from your SSD or HDD?

* i will quote something:
If i pick Start Windows Normal, I get an error stating no boot device found

Does the BIOS recognize the drive you are trying to boot from?

rleopold

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
No programs installed or websites were visited ... this is on a fresh load. I forgot to mention a second seagate 500gb drive on the standard sata ports in my specs. Im trying the system without it now.

I edited my post to the proper error wording ... bootmgr missing. From playig with it, it seems to have something to do with the second drive hooked up

Im booting to the SSD, the standard drive is just for data storage.

rleopold

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
Ok.. If I disconnect the second hdd, the system boots fine. Hook it back, same problem. Tried different sata port, and different cable. same problem. Removed the hdd and installed a WD 640gb still does the same thing.

Connect SSD to SATA 0. Do not connect HD.

Install Windows and run Windows update repeatedly till it doesn't fix anything.

Install all ya MoBo drivers.

Install the HD to SATA 1.....make sure Boot order is SSD 1st, HD 2nd. Delete the Windows install on the HD, better yet, format it.

My guess is that the install process was detecting a Windows install on the old HD

Solution

rleopold

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
Ok .. asus tech support was total garbage. I am currently updting the bios, wiped the SSD. Did a fesh install once all the drivers are installed and updates done. I will post my results. Thank you all for your input on this.

rleopold

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
Problems solved.

Removed second drive, Reinstalled windows, Used the windows based utility to update the bios, Installed drivers and windows updates, then installed second drive.

System now boots without a hitch.

Thank you JackNaylorPE, Your input helped with this.

And aqalipt, I intend on upgrading in the future to the i7 3930k. Hopefully the price will drop. Same hope on my video card so I can try SLI for the first time.

Thank you all for your input and TomsHardware for these very useful forums and tech site.

aqualipt

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

I am glad we helped, pick a best anwser and close this thread