Order of Items in Context Menu

May 17, 2005 8:15:08 PM

WinXP SP2

When I create a shortcut to a folder by dragging it to the Desktop, and then
double click on that folder, I get a DOS command window. What I would like
is for the folder to open. I notice that when I right click on the folder
the topmost option is "Open Command Window Here" and that the "Open" command
lies several lines below that.

How can I change the order of items on the context menu when I right-click?

I am an intermediate user and have rarely tried to edit the Registry but am
not reluctant to do so if that is what it takes (backing up the Registry
first, of course - or setting a Restore Point).

In Explorer, I have looked at Tools>Folder Options>File Types and found the
following entries Drive, File Folder, and Folder. When I select the
advanced option only the Folder entries contains an open option, but it is
not listed first.

I would appreciate any advice,

--
Ray Wright
raycyn.wright@prodigy.com

Ray,

This problem occurs when you alter the "Drive" / "File Folders" entries via
File Types dialog, to add a "Command Prompt here" or "Print Directory"
feature for folders. (example)

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186

Resolution:

Click Start/Run and type this command to fix this problem:
(Tip from David Candy)

regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

-or-

To fix this manually via registry:

If this problem is seen for Drives:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell
Set (default) to "none" (without ")

If this problem is seen for folders:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell]
Set (default) to "none" (without ")

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"raycyn.wright" <raycyn.wright@prodigy.net> wrote in message

> WinXP SP2
>

> When I create a shortcut to a folder by dragging it to the Desktop, and
> then double click on that folder, I get a DOS command window. What I
> would like is for the folder to open. I notice that when I right click on
> the folder the topmost option is "Open Command Window Here" and that the
> "Open" command lies several lines below that.
>

> How can I change the order of items on the context menu when I
> right-click?
>

> I am an intermediate user and have rarely tried to edit the Registry but
> am not reluctant to do so if that is what it takes (backing up the
> Registry first, of course - or setting a Restore Point).
>

> In Explorer, I have looked at Tools>Folder Options>File Types and found
> the following entries Drive, File Folder, and Folder. When I select the
> advanced option only the Folder entries contains an open option, but it is
> not listed first.
>

> I would appreciate any advice,
>

> --
> Ray Wright
> raycyn.wright@prodigy.com

Anonymous
May 18, 2005 5:21:28 AM

Thank you very much. Your solution worked like a charm - and I learned
something by looking at all the references you listed.

Ray

Anonymous
May 18, 2005 1:23:57 PM

You're welcome Ray.