Order of Items in Context Menu

WinXP SP2

When I create a shortcut to a folder by dragging it to the Desktop, and then
double click on that folder, I get a DOS command window. What I would like
is for the folder to open. I notice that when I right click on the folder
the topmost option is "Open Command Window Here" and that the "Open" command
lies several lines below that.

How can I change the order of items on the context menu when I right-click?

I am an intermediate user and have rarely tried to edit the Registry but am
not reluctant to do so if that is what it takes (backing up the Registry
first, of course - or setting a Restore Point).

In Explorer, I have looked at Tools>Folder Options>File Types and found the
following entries Drive, File Folder, and Folder. When I select the
advanced option only the Folder entries contains an open option, but it is
not listed first.

I would appreciate any advice,

--
Ray Wright
raycyn.wright@prodigy.com

    Ray,

    This problem occurs when you alter the "Drive" / "File Folders" entries via
    File Types dialog, to add a "Command Prompt here" or "Print Directory"
    feature for folders. (example)

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186

    Resolution:

    Click Start/Run and type this command to fix this problem:
    (Tip from David Candy)

    regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

    -or-

    To fix this manually via registry:

    If this problem is seen for Drives:

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell
    Set (default) to "none" (without ")

    If this problem is seen for folders:

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell]
    Set (default) to "none" (without ")

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "raycyn.wright" <raycyn.wright@prodigy.net> wrote in message

    > WinXP SP2
    >

    > When I create a shortcut to a folder by dragging it to the Desktop, and
    > then double click on that folder, I get a DOS command window. What I
    > would like is for the folder to open. I notice that when I right click on
    > the folder the topmost option is "Open Command Window Here" and that the
    > "Open" command lies several lines below that.
    >

    > How can I change the order of items on the context menu when I
    > right-click?
    >

    > I am an intermediate user and have rarely tried to edit the Registry but
    > am not reluctant to do so if that is what it takes (backing up the
    > Registry first, of course - or setting a Restore Point).
    >

    > In Explorer, I have looked at Tools>Folder Options>File Types and found
    > the following entries Drive, File Folder, and Folder. When I select the
    > advanced option only the Folder entries contains an open option, but it is
    > not listed first.
    >

    > I would appreciate any advice,
    >

    > --
    > Ray Wright
    > raycyn.wright@prodigy.com

    Thank you very much. Your solution worked like a charm - and I learned
    something by looking at all the references you listed.

    Ray

    You're welcome Ray.

    --

    > Thank you very much. Your solution worked like a charm - and I learned
    > something by looking at all the references you listed.
    >
    > Ray

    >> Ray,
    >>
    >> This problem occurs when you alter the "Drive" / "File Folders" entries
    >> via File Types dialog, to add a "Command Prompt here" or "Print
    >> Directory" feature for folders. (example)
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186
    >>
    >> Resolution:
    >>
    >> Click Start/Run and type this command to fix this problem:
    >> (Tip from David Candy)
    >>
    >> regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
    >>
    >> -or-
    >>
    >> To fix this manually via registry:
    >>
    >> If this problem is seen for Drives:
    >>
    >> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell
    >> Set (default) to "none" (without ")
    >>
    >> If this problem is seen for folders:
    >>
    >> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell]
    >> Set (default) to "none" (without ")
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "raycyn.wright" <raycyn.wright@prodigy.net> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> WinXP SP2
    >>>

    >>> When I create a shortcut to a folder by dragging it to the Desktop, and
    >>> then double click on that folder, I get a DOS command window. What I
    >>> would like is for the folder to open. I notice that when I right click
    >>> on the folder the topmost option is "Open Command Window Here" and that
    >>> the "Open" command lies several lines below that.
    >>>

    >>> How can I change the order of items on the context menu when I
    >>> right-click?
    >>>

    >>> I am an intermediate user and have rarely tried to edit the Registry but
    >>> am not reluctant to do so if that is what it takes (backing up the
    >>> Registry first, of course - or setting a Restore Point).
    >>>

    >>> In Explorer, I have looked at Tools>Folder Options>File Types and found
    >>> the following entries Drive, File Folder, and Folder. When I select the
    >>> advanced option only the Folder entries contains an open option, but it
    >>> is not listed first.
    >>>

    >>> I would appreciate any advice,
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> Ray Wright