Intel i5 2500k @4.2 Ghz 1.25v
4Gb DDR3 1600 Wintec Ram
XFX ATI Radeon 5870 1GB
1TB WD HDD Green
128GB SSD Crucial M4
LG DVD Drive
XFX Core Edition PRO550W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207013&Tpk=xfx%20550

I wanted to upgrade to a 7870 and eventually crossfire with another 7870. I know my current power supply is pushing in this setup but I did use a volt meter to monitor my system wattage at what I believe is full load. My system peaks at 150W without my 5870

I wanted some insightful opinions if I can safely upgrade to a crossfire setup of 7870s in the future.

Thanks in advance
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about power
  1. even crossfire 7870 will be safe

xfx psu has good reputation
  2. g4kioN1 said:
    Hi guys, I wanted some advice for my future setup. Here are my System Specs

Asus P8Z77-V Pro
    Intel i5 2500k @4.2 Ghz 1.25v
    4Gb DDR3 1600 Wintec Ram
    XFX ATI Radeon 5870 1GB
    1TB WD HDD Green
    128GB SSD Crucial M4
    LG DVD Drive
    XFX Core Edition PRO550W
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207013&Tpk=xfx%20550

I wanted to upgrade to a 7870 and eventually crossfire with another 7870. I know my current power supply is pushing in this setup but I did use a volt meter to monitor my system wattage at what I believe is full load. My system peaks at 150W without my 5870

I wanted some insightful opinions if I can safely upgrade to a crossfire setup of 7870s in the future.

Thanks in advance

Hi - The XFX 550w is plenty for one 7870 and is an excellent value right now at Newegg.

I believe to CF 2 7870's you'd be ok if no or slight oc & stock cooling, but the
    550 has only 1 6pin & 1 6+2pin pci-e connectors, you will need
    dbl that to CF 7870's without adapting molex plugs, so I'd go
    a little higher on the PSU if you are going to oc 2 7870's
  3. Hi :)

If you are going to DEFINITELY crossfire in the future, get an 850 watt...its what I use for my 7990..

All the best Brett :)
  4. Why can't I use the molex adapter? I thought that was the reason for including them.
  5. Best answer
    g4kioN1 said:
    Why can't I use the molex adapter? I thought that was the reason for including them.

With a 550W PSU, that should work in theory.

For safety reasons, you want each of the molex plugs used by your molex-to-6pin to be from a separate PSU cable so if your PSU has two cables sporting molex connectors, you can safely use a single 6pin adapter. If you have three, you should still be safe with two adapters (one adapters on cables 1+2, the other on 2+3 or 1+3) since the HD7870 needs little more than PCIe slot + PCIe 6pin (75W + 75W) to meet its ~160W requirement so you can do 1x PCIe power from PSU + 1x molex-6pin adapter.

For dual HD7870, your PC would use around 2x160W for the GPUs + 130W (likely less) for everything else so around 450W max out of 550W.
  6. Thanks, btw if I overclock the GPUs without rasing the voltage will it affect the power that is drawn?
  7. g4kioN1 said:
    Thanks, btw if I overclock the GPUs without rasing the voltage will it affect the power that is drawn?

Yes it does.

Worst-case CMOS logic power can be estimated as: P = C * V^2 * F
    C = bulk capacitance of switching elements within the IC (CMOS logic doing work is essentially charging/discharging gate and trace capacitances)
    V = core voltage
    F = frequency

So power increases roughly linearly with frequency (10% higher clock = ~10% more power) and proportionally with the square of voltage. (10% higher voltage = ~21% more power)
  8. InvalidError said:
    Yes it does.

Worst-case CMOS logic power can be estimated as: P = C * V^2 * F
    C = bulk capacitance of switching elements within the IC (CMOS logic doing work is essentially charging/discharging gate and trace capacitances)
    V = core voltage
    F = frequency

So power increases roughly linearly with frequency (10% higher clock = ~10% more power) and proportionally with the square of voltage. (10% higher voltage = ~21% more power)

I love this answer thanks so much!
  9. Best answer selected by g4kioN1.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Components Product