Triple Monitor Setup + Graphics Card?

Dupontrocks11

Honorable
May 7, 2012
Hello everybody! Currently I am in the process of picking out another graphics card for my new system that I plan to buy at Microcenter and Newegg on the Massachusetts tax free weekend. For now, I am only purchasing one graphics card, seeing as my budget is around $1400. I already have my entire computer planned out except for the graphics card and the monitors.

I have done a fair amount of research, and had come down to the decision to buy an EVGA GTX-670 Superclocked+ 4GB. The 2 extra gigabytes of VRAM should help with the extra pixels, and has enough power to run three monitors. Now I realize that not all of my games will run on ultra with a single card, but I am okay with that. I basically only really play minecraft, racing games, and flight simulators right now, (which all look amazing on a tri-monitor setup) but I am definitely looking to playing some amazing games like BF3 and Crysis on max settings on one monitor which the 670 superclocked allows for.

As I said earlier, I am not looking to Xfire or SLI RIGHT NOW. Around Christmas or black friday I will most definitely pick up another card to make my machine a goddamn mega monster, but right now, my budget is tight and I don't want to save for any longer. My original goal was to build this at the beginning of summer and look where I am now... I am very eager to build this!

But I do want everyone's opinions!

I still need three monitors to use and am open to all suggestions! Although I'm not gunna buy a $200 monitors as my budget can't stretch that far. I would say that the cheaper the better, but at least 1920X1080. I had seen a monitor that seems great which was an Acer HL231ABID. It's $139.99 on newegg and has pretty good reviews. Since I am buying three identical monitors, I would like to keep the bezel as thin as it can be, but if that is too much to ask for my price range I would consider bumping the budget. Keep in mind that I play mostly on console right now so any games on PC will look amazing to me no matter what resolution screen.

Also, while I am pretty certain on the 670, I have also heard people suggesting the 7970 due to it's recent price drop, and considering how well it plays in higher res gaming. I've also heard that Eyefinity is EONS more advanced than nvidia surround, but then again I have heard the opposite as well. Finally, something that drove me away from the 7970 is that AMD consistently stops driver support before Nvidia. I am getting the 670 superclocked 4gb in order to be future proof, so it would be nice to have my drivers supported for longer. I am a Junior in highschool and am hoping that this computer (when paired with another 670 in SLI) will last me through college! Although I know how fast the computer world goes, but I can't imagine that 8GB of VRAM would be saturated in the near future.

This is a lot to take in, but thanks for at least reading!

Solution
^+1, I would rather one nice big monitor then 3, but I have seen some lovely setups that seem to work really well with multimonitors. Just a quick note, two cards with 4gb each of VRAM does not equal 8gb in total - it will be seen and used as 4gb. however, 2 670's will certainly last you at least 2 years with all games maxed, and probably close to max a bit after that as well.
^+1, I would rather one nice big monitor then 3, but I have seen some lovely setups that seem to work really well with multimonitors. Just a quick note, two cards with 4gb each of VRAM does not equal 8gb in total - it will be seen and used as 4gb. however, 2 670's will certainly last you at least 2 years with all games maxed, and probably close to max a bit after that as well.

Solution

Dupontrocks11

Honorable
May 7, 2012

Oh ok I wasn't sure if both cards combined or acted as one, but that seems logical. As for the monitors, I would like having one big monitor, but I have been told that running a flight simulator looks AMAZING, and I decided that I just want to make it my goal.

Do you (and this goes out to anyone) have any monitor suggestions?

Dupontrocks11

Honorable
May 7, 2012

Yes I had previously read that thread. I was still unsure about it though. It seemed that people had voted for the 7970 because of it's clock speed and VRAM but I was considering the 670 Superclocked 4gb which has a higher clock (with more room to overclock) and more VRAM. Would it perform better than the 7970?

Also, do you have any monitor suggestions?

Dupontrocks11

Honorable
May 7, 2012

Well I was considering 3 Acer S231HL ABID monitors which were each 1920x1080. So what ever that is times three. I was unsure whether AMD eyefinity or Nvida surround was better, but I've been hearing that they are both pretty much even. Also, I already had my eye on the GTX 670 Superclocked 4GB, so I'll probably go with that unless someone else convinces me otherwise. Other than that, I don't know what other information I could give.

TL;DR I wanted 3 1920x1080 monitors or something along those lines.