PC fails to boot up windows with no possible way of reinstalling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lazar_99

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
I have a problem. I wanted to reinstall the OS on an old PC and normally set the first boot device to be CDROM and switched the hard drive to be secondary boot device. The instalation started and i went to do something on my PC and when i came back, it formated and coppied the files and couldn't start windows XP. It showed NDTLR is missing, press ctrl+alt+del to restart but i can't do that because the keyboard stops working when it gets to the screen where it does "verifying DMI pool data". I tried all possible combinations with boot device priorities all end up with different errors. the PC has 2 hard drives, one is the main drive and the secondary is used for storage. when i turn the seondary device off, and i restart the PC it then says press any key to boot from CD but i can't do that because the keyboard isn't working, it then says windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem. could not read from the selected boot disk. check boot path and disk hardware. when i change the first boot device to HDD it shows me the same thing. when i turn on the secondary drive and don't set it to be first boot device it gives me the NDTLR is missing press CTRL+alt+del. when i set it to be first boot device it says: windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <windows root>/system32/hall.dll
please reinstall the copy of the above file, but how am i supposed to do that when i can't start the installation because the keyboard isn't working when it asks me to press any key to start the setup??? please help

Solution
On some old systems during that install only 1 usb port is enabled. Retry the setup using the various ports. Usually its one near the network jack.

Lazar_99

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012

well i managed to get it fixed 10 an hour after i posted this. the port where the keyboard was pluged in was working after i left t he PC turned off for 30 minutes (a bit weird) and could do a complete install of the OS without problems. The reason for the problem was that my dad switched off the secondary hard drive while the windows setup was coying files.

Status
Not open for further replies.