Why does the 8600 GTS work in one computer but not the other

adamsw216

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
Hi! I am attempting to get an old desktop of mine up and running again.

The computer has
- an AMD Athlon 64 4000 San Diego Core CPU
- nVidia GeForce 7900 GT
- 2GB RAM

The 7900 GT is one of the XFX cards that was recalled several years back and has been artifacting on me quite horribly. I've decided to finally try and turn the computer into an FTP so I purchased a used XFX 8600 GTS.

When I boot with the 7900 GT, it loads Windows XP fine (but with crippling artifacts). When I use the 8600 GTS, the computer won't even post.

Normally I would assume the 8600 is dead, but I plugged it into my main tower (Asus P6T Intel X58, 10GB RAM, Core i7, etc) and the computer boots normally. I get into Windows 7 and run a DX Diagnostic and the card is listed without manufacturer, chipset, or anything. All of the fields are blank. In the Device Manager, it is listed under "Other Devices" as a VGA compatible card. This may be because I am not running the proper drivers (as I still have the GTX 560 drivers installed), or could this be a sign of an issue with the 8600?

I looked around and it does not appear that there is a video chipset on the mobo itself.

Just to add to my confusion, I plugged the 8600 GTS into a third computer of similar specs to my main tower (except with an MSI mobo), and the card did the same as in my old AMD machine... black screen, no post, no nothing.

Is the 8600 GTS just DOA? If so, any idea as to why it works in my main tower? Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated!

adamsw216

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
Well, when I originally tried running the 8600 GTS I was running it off of the drivers for the 7900 GT. I forget the version number, but they were updated about 3 or 4 years ago. Perhaps that is too old though. I could try to find some in between aged drivers?