Sign in with
Your question

The destruction of my computer

Last response: in Systems
August 8, 2012 5:06:57 AM

If I put this in the wrong place, I beg forgiveness and hope that it gets moved to the proper place and not removed, thanks! :sol: 

So lately I have been slowly but steadily been destroying my computer not really knowing what I've been doing, here's my story. :pfff: 

It all started off with my computer messing up, it wasn't starting up at times and other times it would just shut off, as far as I can remember.
So I opened the can, checked inside, poked around with my little finger and came to the conclusion that there was a problem with my graphics card, so I changed the graphics card with an older one, now it worked again.

But then a few days later, the same thing started happening, so I was wondering what the hell was going on, I went inside and changed the graphic card again with graphic card 1, now it worked again, so I figured this time it was a problem with my motherboard or something, but it kept on doing the same thing every once in a while ( with about a weeks interval ), after poking around some more I came to yet another conclusion: it was the connection between my motherboard and the graphic cards that was messing up, ie. the graphic card jumping out of place I supposed.

For some reason I continued to poke around and started messing with the PSU, but little did I know I had not turned off my power completely, so ofcourse, I destroyed the PSU ( "boom goes the dynamite" it said as smoke was seaping out of it" ).

Later I managed to get myself another PSU, and as I did not and still do not have a screwdriver, I still have the old PSU in the can as well as the "new" one, which means I still have a boatload of wires in it.

Everything was working fine and I was using the second graphic card (ie. the older one), and I have been generally ignoring the fact that a majority of the games I play lag somewhat due to the graphic card not being too powerful.

And today I wanted to play some Modern Warfare 3 and as I was playing it, I noticed the inevitable fact that the game looked like a mobile version of minecraft, so I figured I'd just switch out graphic card 2 (the older one) with graphic card 1 (the better one), little did I know this is where my true demise started.

First thing I did was switch the two graphic cards out, no biggie, I turned it on and noticed nothing was happening on my screen... "Ah, ofcourse, I need to put that extra wire into this graphic card" was my first though, as this had been the case before, so I searched for the wire that I had used earlier and voila, there it was, connected via the CD player and further on to the old PSU, nadas problemas I though and found a wire from the new PSU that looked similar to the one in the CD player, switched them out, put the wires in my graphic card and tried again.

Nothing... But this time when I was trying to turn the computer off with the button, it actually had to hold the power button in for 5 seconds to turn the computer off, something which I had noticed I did not need to do once I started messing around with it, but still it did not work, so I continued and continued to put things in and out of the computer, nothing seemed to work.

"Awh *** it!" I said as I started to re-put everything in its original place, once that was done, with the crappy graphic card in and all that, I booted the computer up again, "Ah yes!" I shouted to the hilltops as it seemed to work, my screen was showing 'something' again, the POST message I believe...

So I sat down, and watched the screen.

About 2 minutes of waiting passed and I was still watching the same screen... "paint drying.. paint drying.." I thought to myself as I continued to wait.

About 10 minutes pass and I get past the first screen, then the second screen, another 10 minutes, and then the "Windows is starting" another 10 minutes.

I am now finally inside my computer but I have obviously done something horribly wrong.

So now to my questions.

Why is it so slow to start up?
Why doesn't the better graphic card work?
What the *** have I done?
What should I do to get the better graphic card in and working?
What should I do in general to fix my... everything?

I tried to be as detailed as possible with what I have done and what I need help with should be obvious in the actual story, but there might be parts missing that I simply cannot remember (although I doubt it), I can obviously provide pictures and answer any further questions as to my actions towards the computer, all help will be appreciated!

Thank you in beforehand!! :hello: 

//Leo

More about : destruction computer

a b U Graphics card
August 8, 2012 5:52:19 AM

quiet a write up LEO!....if you can, edit and shorten this up so that more people can get back to this....

pointers to you>

1. get a screw driver and do the needful :) 
2. give us you system specs...how old is your system
3. do you see "swelled up capacitors"(google if not sure) on your mobo?

Leodemolition said:

For some reason I continued to poke around and started messing with the PSU, but little did I know I had not turned off my power completely, so ofcourse, I destroyed the PSU ( "boom goes the dynamite" it said as smoke was seaping out of it" ).

Request: please switch the power off before inspecting your system...we don't want you getting a nasty shock :non: 
August 8, 2012 6:22:17 AM

For some reason I can't edit the post, so here's the TLDR...

TLDR: I had a problem with my graphic card, I switched it back and forth with an older one several times, for some reason I messed with the PSU and it blew up, got a new one a few weeks later, set everything up, worked, was using the older graphic card, couldn't play games without shitty graphics or lag, got tired of it, attempted to change the graphics card, switched out a few wires without really knowing what I was doing, nothing happened on my screen, I switched back and forth a couple of times, finally got it working with my older one but the startup takes about 30 minutes now.

satyamdubey said:
quiet a write up LEO!....if you can, edit and shorten this up so that more people can get back to this....

pointers to you>

1. get a screw driver and do the needful :) 
2. give us you system specs...how old is your system
3. do you see "swelled up capacitors"(google if not sure) on your mobo?

Request: please switch the power off before inspecting your system...we don't want you getting a nasty shock :non: 

I can't stress enough the point of me actually having no idea what I am doing, and I do not even know how to check my specs properly, the computer was not built by myself but it is an old computer from an old acquaintance who I no longer have any contact with, and as such I do not know how old the computer actually is nor any of the parts, but 2 years or more is probably a good guess, although very vague :p 

This is what I found in the dxdiag, which is pretty much all I know about checking my spec.

Intel Core 2 CPU, 6600 @ 2.40GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
6144MB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series

I do not see any swelled capacitors at this moment, but again, not exactly sure of what's what, I will get a hold of a screwdriver asap, probably asking a neighbour or something.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
August 8, 2012 6:33:41 AM

Well this will be a great learning experience for you!

Look at the both GPU's. One or both may have 2 connectors at the end. They will be either be six pin (six holes literally) or eight pin (eight holes literally), your PSU has connectors labelled PCI-E. Both need to connected to the GPU. You also should screw in the new PSU, it will take screws around the back. Then verify everything is connected, your HDD and ODD should have 2 SATA connectors, I for power and 1 for data. As with the PCI-E connectors these will be flat and labelled SATA. There should also be a really fat 24-pin connected and a smaller 4 or 8 pin (one or the other not both) for the CPU. Are all these properly seated?
a b U Graphics card
August 8, 2012 7:19:14 AM

specs good enough for a start
since your system is taking time to POST, there could be a hardware issue...most likely a dying hard drive
try this...remove the graphic card and plug the monitor to the motherboard slot.
next disconnect the hard drive and boot up your system...
you'll get a message " reboot or connect a proper boot device".
if your system booted fast till it got to that message above, then connect the hard drive and reboot
if on the second reboot the system slows down, we can safely assume your hard drive is the problem
good luck
- satyam
August 8, 2012 8:54:01 AM

doesnt matter found them haha.

what wattage is your PSU?
August 8, 2012 8:54:49 AM

things you need to do.

buy a screwdriver.
buy a new computer
and don't poke around in it.

in all serious though i suspect your PSU might be the problem. Can you post the system specs.
August 8, 2012 9:58:28 AM

Smeg45 said:
Well this will be a great learning experience for you!

Look at the both GPU's. One or both may have 2 connectors at the end. They will be either be six pin (six holes literally) or eight pin (eight holes literally), your PSU has connectors labelled PCI-E. Both need to connected to the GPU. You also should screw in the new PSU, it will take screws around the back. Then verify everything is connected, your HDD and ODD should have 2 SATA connectors, I for power and 1 for data. As with the PCI-E connectors these will be flat and labelled SATA. There should also be a really fat 24-pin connected and a smaller 4 or 8 pin (one or the other not both) for the CPU. Are all these properly seated?

I actually do not know what half of this means, but what I did understand is that I should open my graphic card and look for the GPU and make sure it's connected properly?
This would be something that would require a screwdriver and I will get to it as soon as I have a screwdriver available, thanks! ;) 

satyamdubey said:
specs good enough for a start
since your system is taking time to POST, there could be a hardware issue...most likely a dying hard drive
try this...remove the graphic card and plug the monitor to the motherboard slot.
next disconnect the hard drive and boot up your system...
you'll get a message " reboot or connect a proper boot device".
if your system booted fast till it got to that message above, then connect the hard drive and reboot
if on the second reboot the system slows down, we can safely assume your hard drive is the problem
good luck
- satyam

I will get to this as soon as possible and I'll let you know exactly what happens!

captainblacko said:
doesnt matter found them haha.

what wattage is your PSU?

I would have to do this at the same time that I'd check the things that Satyam told me to do, but looking at it right now, from the outside, it says 100-240 VAC, if that helps? I actually have no idea what that means :lol: 

But yes there hasn't actually been a problem with it until I started messing with the graphic cards.

So todo list:
Check if harddrive is the issue.
Check GPU.
Check wattage on CPU.

Seems about right? :ange: 

Also, how should I connect my "better" graphic card? (GeForce® GTX 460 Sonic (1024MB GDDR5)) ie. which wires goes where? If anyone knows ofcourse...

Thanks again guys, I'm amazed at how great this community is! :love: 
August 8, 2012 10:58:16 AM

Hi there,

The graphics card you have requires 2 connectors, these connectors are used for extra power. As most graphics cards today take quite a bit power. Without these connectors plugged in it could cause a whole range of problems. Usually the computer just won't power on with these plugged in, and in some rare cases it will, but be unstable.

From the picture above, it seems that your graphics card takes 2 PCI-E connectors. These are 6 pin connectors which are shown on the right hand side. Check on your power supply if you have these connectors and make sure that they are connected into the graphics card.

Hope we can solve this issue :D 

Alex.
a b U Graphics card
August 8, 2012 11:30:29 AM

yes...do refer the pic Alex has posted and set up your card. And in the same place where you found 100-240 VAC, find the numbers that look like "300 W" (300 Watts) and tell us what it says
that'll be your wattage and will let us know whether your psu is undersized for your card or not :) 

Edit: recommended psu for your card is 450 W
August 13, 2012 2:15:14 AM

Screwdriver incoming on tuesday, I'll give you updates on what happens from there on out ;) 
!