CPU or Motherboard dead?

Torben22

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012
Having some trouble with my system which has been running for about 2 weeks. I believe it is either the motherboard or the CPU that is dead, but any help from someone with more experience would be great.

As of 3 days ago the computer was running fine, until I came back after it had been on sleep for an hour or so. The computer wasn't turning on at all. I turned the power off at the wall and waited about 1 minute or so. I then switched it back on, and hit the power button on the computer chassis. For a split second the fans inside the chassis came on, as well as the LED's and the CPU fan. Then everything died and wouldn't turn on until I disconnected from the wall and did it all again.
At first I thought it was the PSU so I borrowed a friend's with strange results. If JUST the 24 pin power is plugged in I get CPU fan and the graphics card fan all running and the USB ports all have power to them. BUT if I plug the 6 pin CPU power in at the same time the PSU turns of straight away (Shorting?) This was all done out of the chassis on a non conductive surface with almost everything disconnected. I have tried removing RAM and graphics card and I don't have another CPU to test.

My thoughts are that the CPU is dead, even though it is only 2 weeks old :( Could it be the motherboard or some other component?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Torben22

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012
Hey Panicmaser, thanks for the reply.
I have tried resetting the CMOS with no luck. I will end up sending the mother board or CPU back under warranty, I'm just not sure which one is failing.