CD Rom Not Recognised in Win2K

G

Hi I have a TBird 1.4 with an ASUS A7A266 mobo and 4 IDE devices. IBM 61G (master) and Iomega ZIP 120 (slave) (Primary) and Toshiba DVD (master) and Yamaha CRW 2200 CDRW (slave) on the Secondary IDE. My problem is that occasionally if I insert a CD ROM in either of the drives, Windows 2000 will not see that CD ROM. The drives spin for a while (as if reading the disk), but then when I double click on the CD ROM, Windows will prompt to insert a disk in the drive. No amount of refreshing will make Windows see it and the only way to do it is to restart windows. Does anyone have any idea what is going on?

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
have you tried uninstalling the drives, reboot and let w2k reinstall them? also to, check the device manager to see what their transfer modes are.

CPUs are like testicles, every computer should have 2!

G

thanks for that. I'll try uninstalling/reinstalling. I also spoke to someone who suggested that I either turn DMA on or off (depending on its current state). Do you know why the transfer mode would be causing the problem?

G

thanks for that. I'll try uninstalling/reinstalling. I also spoke to someone who suggested that I either turn DMA on or off (depending on its current state). Do you know why the transfer mode would be causing the problem?

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
sometimes they just can't handle data in that transfer mode. like i had a problem before, with my old cdrom, if i changed it to udma, it would lock my system up completely if i tried to just open media player and play an mpeg, avi, etc. but both of those drives you have (i have a yamaha crw2200ez) should be able to handle udma mode. maybe they are in pio mode? i know my knew cdrom runs a lil raw if i run it in pio only mode.

CPUs are like testicles, every computer should have 2!

G

thanks! i've set both drives to dma. let's see if this fixes it. of course, since the problem is intermittent, i won't really know if it's fixed!