Solved

Is my PSU adequate for Radeon 7950?

Hey guys,
I placed an order for XFX 7950 Doubld D(not black edition) but I am getting some varying information on the PSU requirement. The GPU manufacturer is stating minimum of 500 watts but some review sites are recommending 700+ watts. My PSU is Seasonic 620 watts.

Here's my complete system set up:

CPU: i5-3570k overclocked to 4.4Ghz
Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO, single fan
Mobo: Gigabyte z77x-D3H
RAM: Crucial 8GB(2 sticks) 1600 DDR3 CL8
Case: Antec One. 5x 120mm case fans. No case lights. 1 DVD-RW drive. 1 PCI wireless card.
Hard drive 1: Crucial M4 128GB SSD
Hard drive 2: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 2TB
GPU: XFX Double D FX-795A-TDFC Radeon HD 7950 3GB
PSU: SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W

I do plan on overclocking the 7950.
Does my PSU have enough power for all this?

Thanks.
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about adequate radeon 7950
  1. No doubt it can. 620W is fine & Seasonic is a great brand so no worries.
    Perhaps the 700W requirement that you read is for 2 x 7950. That makes sense but on a single 7950, it does not.
  2. sesonic is an good unit it can handle that card with an oced cpu first of all the hd 7950 doesnt use that much amount of power u will be fine with it.goodluck.:)
  3. Thanks guys.
    So there is plenty of power left over even if I decide to OC the graphics card?
    I am wondering how tight it will be. I don't want to stress out my PSU too much.
  4. Best answer
    theonix said:
    Thanks guys.
    So there is plenty of power left over even if I decide to OC the graphics card?
    I am wondering how tight it will be. I don't want to stress out my PSU too much.

There is much headroom even if you OC the CPU & the GPU. For your added peace of mind, you can estimate the power consumption of your PC with the 7950 using this:
    http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp
  5. Best answer selected by Theonix.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics Product