Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Do I REALLY need to replace my PSU?

Last response: in Components
December 23, 2012 4:46:31 PM

Hello,

My PC specs are :

Intel Core i7-950 Extreme @3.07Ghz (8MB Cache and HT-Enabled)
Corsair Dominator 6GB DDR3 @1600Mhz (Triple Channel)
ATI Radeon HD 5850 1 GB DDR5 Dedicated Graphic card
Intel Server Motherboard
Western Digital 1TB 7200 32MB [1*n]

I am using a Huntkey 600w APFC, specs mentioned below :

http://www.3stechnology.co.za/huntkey-600w-apfc-psu-p-1...

I had a Cooler master eXtreme Power Plus 600W before which was burnt and coolermaster didnt provide me the warranty. I replaced the PSU with the huntkey PSU 1 month back as it had 5 year burn-in and hardware warranty.

I have noticed Huntkey's got very bad reviews out there after I bought it :(  Is this particular model any good?

Am I really risking my hardware components, do I really need to replace the PSU? I am buying a coolermaster HAF 922 case soon and looking to split on the PSU if there is a real need.

Thanks for your time.

Regards!

More about : replace psu

a b ) Power supply
December 23, 2012 5:08:37 PM

there's a real surprise about cooler master. I had to turn in paper work to get a rebate. but after YEARS of turning in rebates they told me i did something wrong......... SCREWED out of $30 U.S........ don't trust those scumbags and never purchased another product with their name on it either.

that particular PS I'm not familiar with. it looks as if it will provide enough power but have no idea of quality. all I can say is try it and see if it works to your satisfaction.

if you feel you need something else don't shop by watts and don't shop by price. both may end up screwing you in the end.

buy a name brand and look at the amperage.......... something around 45+ under the 12v is where I like to be depending on the other hardware that will be running. will run more efficient and cooler if you overdo it a little.
Score
a c 297 ) Power supply
December 23, 2012 8:35:21 PM

hitme987 said:
Hello,

My PC specs are :

Intel Server Motherboard

http://www.huntkeydiy.com/en/product/p-14-9.html

I had a Cooler master eXtreme Power Plus 600W before which was burnt and coolermaster didnt provide me the warranty. I replaced the PSU with the huntkey PSU 1 month back as it had 5 year burn-in and hardware warranty.

I have noticed Huntkey's got very bad reviews out there after I bought it :(  Is this particular model any good?

Am I really risking my hardware components, do I really need to replace the PSU? I am buying a coolermaster HAF 922 case soon and looking to split on the PSU if there is a real need.

Thanks for your time.

Regards!

Hi - 2nd swifty's sentiments on crappermaster.
I couldn't find a reliable lab test review on your Huntkey.
It looks like it'll be OK for your system.

I would start saving $$ however, to replace it down
the line with a known to be good quality unit.

Tom

Score
Related resources
December 23, 2012 8:46:57 PM

It looks a bit low on amps on the two 12v power rails, so i would have a check to see how many amps if the 5850 needs any extra power from a 12v pci-e connector to run stable.
check its amp usage. I guess it will be ok, but as said I would save up and look for a well branded PSU just to protect all the other parts in the PC, better safe than sorry as the saying goes.
Score
December 23, 2012 9:49:29 PM

Well cooler master psu are known to be among the worst of the worst!That being said they do provide some of the best computer cases and cpu coolers imo.
Score

Best solution

a c 262 ) Power supply
December 23, 2012 10:03:37 PM

Yep Coolermaster has more crap than good power supplies.

Huntkey is an actual manufacturer. The model you have provides a max of 36 amps on the 12v rail for a total of 432 watts. A quality manufacturer would label that as a 450 power supply not 600 watts. It's also not even 80 Plus certified so who knows if it can actually even put out the rated voltage. I would replace it.

Stop buying junk. The power supply is the most important part of your computer. Stick with Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling, XFX, Silverstone, Enermax, OCZ, Antec or the higher efficiency Rosewill units for quality.
December 23, 2012 10:36:14 PM

Yes not all are unreliable.In fact my uncle has 2x GTX 590 in Sli.If your not aware these are power hogs and his power supply none other then Cooler Master Silent Pro 1200W Power Supply still going strong since December 2010.
Score
a c 262 ) Power supply
December 23, 2012 11:43:01 PM

Yeah except Coolermaster has never released a single line of power supplies except the Silent Pro / Silent Pro Gold that is decent. And that is because of the OEMs. The Silent Pro / Gold line is made by Enhance Electronics and FSP, manufactuers known for halfway decent products. Not only does Coolermaster use more OEMs than any other company I know of, the ones they do use are low end. Seventeam, ATNG, Solytech, AcBel Polytech and Shenzhen Powatech all also make Coolermaster models in addition to FSP and Enhance. If they would just stick with one or two good OEMs they might turn around that reputation for selling crap.

As is, I will never recommend them just because they put liar labels on many of their lower end products saying they can put out a certain wattage when in fact they can't supply anywhere near what's rated. A reputable company would never put their name on what they have to know is a flawed product.
Score
December 23, 2012 11:56:04 PM

anort3 said:
Yeah except Coolermaster has never released a single line of power supplies except the Silent Pro / Silent Pro Gold that is decent. And that is because of the OEMs. The Silent Pro / Gold line is made by Enhance Electronics and FSP, manufactuers known for halfway decent products. Not only does Coolermaster use more OEMs than any other company I know of, the ones they do use are low end. Seventeam, ATNG, Solytech, AcBel Polytech and Shenzhen Powatech all also make Coolermaster models in addition to FSP and Enhance. If they would just stick with one or two good OEMs they might turn around that reputation for selling crap.

As is I will never recommend they just because they put liar labels on many of their lower end products saying they can put out a certain wattage when in fact they can't supply anywhere near what's rated. A reputable company would never put their name on what they have to know is a flawed product.
:o  there is members who know what their talking about.I was having doubts.You have just made my day! :love: 
Score
December 24, 2012 12:16:20 AM

Lol!I already knew about it for three months now.Thank you though.
Score
a c 1193 ) Power supply
December 24, 2012 2:37:19 AM

The fact that no reputable brand PSU uses Huntkey as an OEM should tell you something.
Score
a b ) Power supply
December 24, 2012 5:24:52 AM

hitme987 said:
Hello,

My PC specs are :

Intel Server Motherboard

http://www.3stechnology.co.za/huntkey-600w-apfc-psu-p-1...

Thanks for your time.

Regards!

http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=59615&vpn=P1550SXXB9&m...

Get it while the deal is good.

xfx is made by seasonic.
Score
December 24, 2012 5:43:14 AM

ko888 said:
The fact that no reputable brand PSU uses Huntkey as an OEM should tell you something.
If you would really like to understand about power supply ask this guy i learn quite a bit from his post on this forum. ;) 
Score
a c 297 ) Power supply
December 24, 2012 3:24:01 PM

ko888 said:

^ +1
Score
December 24, 2012 5:36:42 PM

Hello,

Thanks all for your inputs.

I could not honestly feel a change in regards of performance comparing with my previous PSU.

Its running quite smooth with ultra high settings in Far Cry 3 and Hitman Absolution, both are having great graphics.

But my CPU temps are really high, they are staying at 80-90 at avg and touching 99 degrees celsius max while gaming and 50-60 at idle. So, Im quite inclined towards buying HAF 922.

Nevertheless, I will buy a PSU asap as per your suggestions.

Thanks for your suggestions! Time to open a PSU thread :D 

weaselman said:
It looks a bit low on amps on the two 12v power rails, so i would have a check to see how many amps if the 5850 needs any extra power from a 12v pci-e connector to run stable.
check its amp usage. I guess it will be ok, but as said I would save up and look for a well branded PSU just to protect all the other parts in the PC, better safe than sorry as the saying goes.

I think its enough. From OCCT app I can see its touching 15-16 amps at max.
Score
a c 262 ) Power supply
December 24, 2012 6:38:11 PM

hitme987 said:
Hello,

Thanks all for your inputs.

I could not honestly feel a change in regards of performance comparing with my previous PSU.

Its running quite smooth with ultra high settings in Far Cry 3 and Hitman Absolution, both are having great graphics.

But my CPU temps are really high, they are staying at 80-90 at avg and touching 99 degrees celsius max while gaming and 50-60 at idle. So, Im quite inclined towards buying HAF 922.

Nevertheless, I will buy a PSU asap as per your suggestions.

Thanks for your suggestions! Time to open a PSU thread :D 

I think its enough. From OCCT app I can see its touching 15-16 amps at max.

You will not see any performance difference with different power supplies. The difference is in things like voltage regulation and ripple and noise that can cause instability issues and over time even damage your components. You buy a quality power supply so your other parts will be stable and last as long as they should. Cheap junk also has a tendancy to explode and sometmes take the rest of your computer with it. ;) 

Stick with the brands I listed above. 500-550 watts should power what you have and give you room to upgrade to just about any single GPU solution in the future.

Your CPU temps are way too high and even approaching dangerous levels. I recommend reinstalling your heat sink with fresh thermal paste before even trying to play a game again.
Score
December 26, 2012 12:58:37 PM

anort3 said:
You will not see any performance difference with different power supplies. The difference is in things like voltage regulation and ripple and noise that can cause instability issues and over time even damage your components. You buy a quality power supply so your other parts will be stable and last as long as they should. Cheap junk also has a tendancy to explode and sometmes take the rest of your computer with it. ;) 

Stick with the brands I listed above. 500-550 watts should power what you have and give you room to upgrade to just about any single GPU solution in the future.

Your CPU temps are way too high and even approaching dangerous levels. I recommend reinstalling your heat sink with fresh thermal paste before even trying to play a game again.

Hmm..Thanks for the suggestion.

I actually dont have a heat sink, I already bought 2 noctua NF-P12 fans, and I'm thinking of buying Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus which I'm getting here for a pretty solid price.

Thanks for all of your suggestions :) 
Score
December 26, 2012 1:58:44 PM

Best answer selected by hitme987.
Score
!