Status
Not open for further replies.

acg651

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
I'm sort of interested in getting a 120Hz monitor and the Nvidia 3D kit, but the reviews I've been reading on Newegg make it look like the monitors aren't good quality (it might just be because I've been focusing a lot on the negative reviews though). Could anybody who has this setup tell me if it's worth it and if they've been having problems with monitors and the 3D? I feel like gaming in 3D would be pretty cool.

sp0nger

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
Hello :hello:

I am a 3D vision set up owner and i am happy to report that its an amazing experience. A lot of us 3D gamers find its adds a layer of depth and immersion that cant be matched. In my opinion, a properly built 3D gaming system is of better quality than 3D at the movies, as long as you get the right stuff. What ever got you interested in 3D, there are a few things to take into consideration befor taking a leap.

I suggest you start here:

great community and user experiences listed
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=90883

stuff going on in the 3D world
http://3dvision-blog.com/

Some things to consider:

-Its expensive, you cant skimp, you get what you pay for and in this case cheap means ghosting/bad lighting.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236206 This is the monitor i purchased and has ZERO issues (the oval ring issue has been fixed in the newer gen models) and is a beautifully performing screen. Personally i would stay away from Acer but i heard Samsung has decent monitors too.

-It will almost halve your performance. You will need a 670, equivalent or greater to play on highest settings but u will want to consider SLI for the smoothest experience.

-There is an adjusting period, it took me about two weeks before i got used to the eye strain but since then i can watch 3D for hours with no issue at all

-A lot of games run flawlessly from start up, but some games (mostly older) needing a little tweaking (usually just a quick dll download). Also newer games have a waiting period after their release until 3D drivers are ready.

With all that in mind, 3D gaming and its dedicated community is an awesome thing to experience. Were a nitch audience but were devoted and we support all the effort that has gone in to making 3D more main stream. We know it has a huge barriar to entry and it is a big investment to make on such a blind decision but in the end we totally think its worth it

I used to have a nvision setup. It's been my experience that games not designed for Nvidia 3D require that you tone down a lot of the lighting effects in games. Also the Nvision active shutter glasses can be very difficult to wear over glasses. The newer Nvidia 3D tech requires all new monitors and 3D glasses. As far as I know it only comes in a 27" set that starts at 600.

I would really look into ATI 3D. Passive 3D is far more comfortable. The Tridef driver has also gone a long way supporting games that were not originally designed for 3D.

sp0nger

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008

While im sure you had an older set up, i have never had to turn down any affects on a game released in the last 2 years and the only effects i have modified are shaders which are just readjusted to 3D shaders so this point isnt realy valid anymore.

3D vision 2 glasses are redisgned to fit over glasses if you even need to worry about this issues

wrong, 3D vision 2 software is backwards compatible with 3D vision 1 set ups

Nvidia has been leading AMD in 3D technology for several years i would not personaly invest in an AMD set up (for instance you can't run a SLI step up on DDD 3D drivers as they havent developed this yet). I would also not go DDD (AMD 3d solution) as if your interested in a more cost effective set up i feel IZ3D or one of the other 3rd party 3D driver companies does it better for cheaper.

Passive 3D is also lower qualtiy, only displaying half the vertical resolution as well as having even more of a performance effect due to the post processing of the filter applied to the image after its rendered. Active/shutter 3D technology has been more extensively developed and is considered of higher quality than passive. Also the idea that passive is more comfortable is false. I have a feeling PsyKhiqZero didnt have powerfull or correct set up to run 3d vision smoothy which hurt his ability to adjust but passive 3d is still regarded as "headache" enducing by movie goers, like i said all 3D technology has an adjustment period.

Personally i wouldnt get a passive display unless i was getting 1080p projector

1. play dead space or mass effect 2 and 3 and tell me about not having to turn down lighting effects

2. While the newer glasses do a better job fitting over glasses they are no where near as easy as the clip on lenses that LG uses.

3. Yes 3D vision 2 software will work with older hardware but you will get none of the benefits that the new hardware has so the point is moot. The 3d vision 2 hardware increases brightness and reduces cross talk but REQUIRES new Monitors AND Glasses. Which I did point out that the monitors are only available in 27 inch. This is the starting point and the only option that I am aware of for 3d vision 2 setup.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236206

As far as passive vs. active displays it is a very personal choice. However passive is leading the way in the home theater segment. The reduced resolution doesn't seem to bother people using 42" plus displays. However the increase in crosstalk, as well as the reduction in brightness that active displays have does bother a lot of people. Only the OP can decide in the end.

I'm a 3D Vision user, and I like it a lot. If a game offers a good experience, I'm all over it. The biggest problem is not all games support 3D Vision. I'd guess half, if not down to 1/3 do a good job out of the box. However, there is a nice mod community that has fixed a lot of good games, which happily make more like 2/3 of the games I play support it well.

3D Vision fixes: http://helixmod.blogspot.com/2013/07/game-list-full.html

3D Vision does require more GPU power, but it is so much better that I'd happily play a game at medium settings in 3D rather than Ultra in 2D, but I don't normally have to do that (I never go below high with my setup).

It is important to learn how to adjust the settings in 3D. By default, there is very little effect, because depth is set to 15%. Crank that up to at least 50% for an enjoyable experience (I usually am at 70-80%). You also need to enable the convergence keyboard shortcuts so you can adjust how far away from your face objects are. Depending on how far a part your eyes are, you need the effect adjusted for you, otherwise you will either find occasional problems with objects looking like they are at your nose and cause you to go crosseyed, or everything looks like a dollhouse.

3D Vision is not for competitive gaming, but it is awesome for its immersion.

That's a solid monitor, though the VG278H (no E) has the emitter built in and comes with glasses. It does not support 144hz though. However, Lightboost at 120hz or 100hz is generally considered better. Read here for what Lightboost can do: http://www.blurbusters.com/zero-motion-blur/lightboost/

1) Go here for fixes for the games you Dead space and Mass Effect. They are listed as Helix ready, which basically means they are perfect in 3D with these fixes: http://helixmod.blogspot.com/2013/07/game-list-full.html

As far as the Passive vs Active setups go. Passive will only support 720p @ 60hz unless designed as a monitor for gaming. Those TV's don't have the inputs to allow 1080p @ 60hz, so that is a huge downside.

Whiteskymage

Honorable
Aug 2, 2013

So, the VG278HE doesn't have the 3D emitter but i saw it supports LightBoost. Now makes sense why VG278H is more expensive...

Status
Not open for further replies.