CPU Cooler Recommendations

Eqiinerd

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012
Hello,

I have a DZ77GA-70K motherboard (yes, I went Intel), and paired it with a i7-3770K processor. I thought to simply get the Thermaltake Frio, but upon further inspection, there's some mobo hardware on the back preventing any back plate mounting. I confirmed this recently playing with some spare plates at a local computer store. There's just no hope for a back plate on this thing.

Does anybody have any recommendations for a bolt-mounted or (forgive me) push-pin CPU cooler? I intend to push the processor to about 4.5 GHz tops for some moderate gaming, maybe back off to around 4.2 to maintain low temperature, we will see what kind of performance I'm getting.

I won't be installing any liquid-cooled solutions, air cooling only, please!

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
The TX3 doesn't need a back plate.

You are thinking of the 212.

*edit*

You linked to a TX3. That's just a picture of the TX3 with the push-pin adapters installed.

If you look at the pics of the TX3 I posted from newegg, the push pin adapters are in one of the photos, just not installed. (It also has adapters for installation in AM3 boards without using a back pate)

payturr

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012

My bad, the two look SO similar I got confused. But yes, the TX3 is a good cooler for your board. Credit to Z1NONLY to beating me to it. xD

Eqiinerd

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012
For $20, sounds like a sweet deal to me. Nice benchmarks on it, too. Sold! Worst that can happen is that I need better performance, and I think another fan would take care of that.

Thanks for the help!

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
Your welcome.

The second fan does help, but only by about 1 to 3 degrees.

BTW, Many motherboards come with back plates. The first step in most cooler installations is to remove the stock back plate and install the one that came with the fan.

However, I don't know if your particular back plate can be removed. (If I had to guess, I would say that it can.)