External laptop cooler noise in headphones

titidinb

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012
Hi everybody

I think the title just about says it all. I have a laptop cooler pad powered via USB; I can hear a very annoying, not too loud humming sound in my headphones. If I disconnect the cooler the buzz goes.

I have an Asus m50sa laptop running XP SP3. IIRC back when I had win7 installed i could disable the mic or something and make the problem go away but there's no such features in XP.

Don't bother with muting the mic and such I tried it. Also turning the system volume up/down doesn't make any difference. I tried to disable Realtek High Definition Audio from Device Manager and enabling it again brought just a few seconds of silence then again: buzzzzzzzzz.....

I would very much like a registry tweak to disable the mic and stereo mix.

Thanks guys

titidinb

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012
When I plug the external fan into the one usb port most far from the audio output, the one I use for my mouse, the buzzing sound stops. But if I plug the mouse in any of the other two usb ports left nearer to the audio output I can hear a hissing sound changing in frequency as I move the mouse.

titidinb

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012
Its a new one albeit cheap. I've had another one with two fans, same story. And I told you when I plug it in another usb port the buzzing its not there. If only I could find a regedit hack to disable the stereo mix or mic playback maybe that would solve the issue.

Hi :)

You are trying to get around a physical problem... return it for replacement, or get a refund and buy another make...

All the best Brett :)

titidinb

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012
No, its not the cooler its the usb port. If I plug my mouse in the same port a I can hear a hissing sound; its an interferrence of some sort and in windows 7 I could get around it by disabling the mic and stereo mix, but now im running xp

TRENDING THREADS