Sign in with
Your question

Good Card for DX 4850 Computer

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 18, 2012 4:41:41 AM

I'm looking toward upgrading my Gateway DX 4850 computer with a better card. I use my computer mostly for gaming and I'm pretty sure the only reason I've been able to play very demanding games like TES V: Skyrim on low settings is because I've good RAM and a good CPU. I want to get a reliable card for a medium budget ($200-$500), but I don't think the computer could deal with too much power. Anybody have any suggestions?

Here's a link to the computer specs: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2383241,00.asp?tab....
http://support.gateway.com/s/desktop/2011/gateway/dx485...
a b U Graphics card
June 18, 2012 6:19:56 AM

The link to PCMAG does not work. On the otherhand, the gateway website does not state exactly what you have. It looks like it the specs for the series which includes the available options.

But in any case, $200-$500 is a very good budget. I suggest you include in the purchase a power supply in addition to the graphics card.

It would be easy to suggest a card+psu to exhaust your $500 budget but if you care about just getting just what is the optimum for your requirement, please tell us what is your monitor resolution & the games you wish to play & at what setting ( medium/high/ultra).
m
l
June 18, 2012 2:14:34 PM

Whoops, sorry about those links. I would like to play at a medium setting with as little lag as possible on games like skyrim. the monitor resolution is 1920x1080. If you need any computer specs I'll list them for you myself. And by the way thanks for your help, I'm not very knowledgeable about this stuff but I am a little worried about the power supply (300w I think).
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2012 12:14:07 AM

Skyrim is too beautiful to play at just medium & there are lots of mods that can make it even more beautiful & refined. Since your budget allows, I recommend a 7850 ($240) & a Corsair CX600 ($70) for a total of $310:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
I know your current motherboard does not support CF so the 600W PSU is not necessary. But a PSU is one component that you can always bring forward to your next PC so I think it is a worthy investment.
m
l
June 20, 2012 1:16:52 AM

Sounds good to me, but I just need to get two things straight. The Corsair power supply isn't supported by my computer, so could my computer with the power supply as is be able to use the 7850 easily or would I be pushing my computer too much?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 20, 2012 1:35:53 AM

If you have the 500W version ( the DX4850 have two options: 300W & 500W ), it may just be possible if it have a 6PIN PCIe cable connected needed by the 7850 graphics card. Please check. Take pictures of the PSU label which contains info about its capacity & the available 6PIN PCIe connector if any.

By the way, the Gateway specs says that it has the following Dimensions:
(W × D × H) 7.09 × 15.82 × 14.93 inches (180 × 401.8 × 379 mm)
so a standard PSU (including the Corsair I recommended) should fit.
What made you say the Corsair is not compatible to your PC?
m
l
June 21, 2012 12:01:26 PM

Oh I thought you mentioned that the Corsair was not compatible, my mistake. So where might the PSU label be? Am I going to have to open up my computer for it? It's not a problem I just wanted to make sure.
m
l
June 21, 2012 12:34:01 PM

Alright the power supply label mentioned "total output power shall not exceed 300 w". I'd upload a photo but to be honest I don't have any idea how to do that. Either way I think it's safe to assume I'll need to buy that Corsair.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 22, 2012 1:52:19 AM

For uploading photos, you can go to image hosting websites like imageshack. You have the option to browse from your PC which photo to load & then upload it. Then it will give you links that you can copy & then paste here in the forum. Use the "Forum Code":

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 22, 2012 1:59:08 AM

Monty12 said:
Alright the power supply label mentioned "total output power shall not exceed 300 w". ... Either way I think it's safe to assume I'll need to buy that Corsair.

Yes, with only 300W on your current PSU, do certainly need you need to. Go for the CX600 I recommended. The price drops to $50 if you avail of the Mail In Rebate.
m
l
!